'73 Mustang wheels and tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '73 Mustang wheels and tires

OK, so with my volunteer project working the base museum (on hold while we wait for the army to pay for more parts) has led to some neat side jobs- a lot of mundane stuff, brake jobs, A/C repairs and the like. One of the cooler jobs is taking a look at a '73 Mustang 'vert, simple cruiser. I haven't even gotten to look at it yet, as the first job is to ditch the 14" steelies and old tires so it can be driven to my place to attack wiring. So, I've suggested 15s, for cost and tire selection. It looks like stock backspacing is 3.5"ish, I was just looking at 15" x 7" zero offset wheels and thinking of wrapping them in BFG radial T/A in 225/60R15.

I've glanced at these wheels:

What other 15" wheels would look right? Most the the 500 style wheels seem expensive, but certainly look nice on the car.

Is 225 to narrow? I'm largely thinking about driveablilty and cruising, and even 225 seemed like a good compromise between good looks and keeping cost down. The final choice is down to the owner, but I want to present her with a good range of options.

Do not put another set of torq-thrust wheels on the road.......aggggg I have learned to hate them. Boring.

I am currently in love with the dazzlers. That will end when everyone has a set.

cant go wrong with slots.

pic of the mustang?????
    Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

225 60 15 was what i had on the Newport seemed just fine on that.
      you could go 225 60 15 on 7" up front and 245 65 15 on 8" outback
      Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

i agree with the slots, i would run 235 60's in the front 255 60's in the rear....gives a great stance....
        Patrick & Tammy
        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

225 60 15 is mid years Fox Mustang size - a 235 might look better on a car that size. I had 245's on a 72 El Camino and they were kind of too big for a 7" rim. I think I've gotten used to 17's or bigger on everything - just about anything will look better than a 14.
          Last edited by Beagle; July 17, 2017, 04:01 AM.
          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

You really need a 4.5" back spacing with the 7" wheel on them. the limiting factor is the upper ball joint. It's in the same spot as the lip. 17" will clear the bj and open up a whole new world on tire sizes.
            Last edited by Huskinhano; July 18, 2017, 07:06 PM.
            Tom
            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by rightpedal View Post
              Do not put another set of torq-thrust wheels on the road.......aggggg I have learned to hate them. Boring.
              Dude, so much hate.

Comment

17 is about the norm these days for tires as well as rims . If your going to be buying rims anyway then I would move to something like a 500 or the dazzlers . I'm am probably thebonly non slot lover . Unless it a torino .
                Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by rightpedal View Post

I have to agree somewhat, this said by a guy w/ two cars w/ Torque-Thrusts. Those things were common in the late sixties, had all but disappeared by '80, I was picking them out of junk yards in the early '80s 'cause I loved them but there was no one else but me (it seemed). Then in early nineties AR brought 'em back, I was a happy guy until weirdly they got more popular then they were in the day and they were on everything...old, new or whatever, retro-correct year be damned. So much for being unique...

All just opinion only, not to be taken in too negative of a way. I ain't getting rid of mine, they still belong on what they're on, '59 and '67 Chevys. However, by the time of the '71-73 Mustangs, no one was buying Torque Thrusts anymore, that makes them seem to me like they don't really belong on one. Slots were exploding in popularity by then, they looked good and that's probably what I would choose. Sevens in front, eights in back but those rears might stick out a bit. 225's, and 265's, probably.

There is a '72 'vert up the road, with 15x7 steelies, dog-dish caps and BFG 245-60-15 rubber all around, looks pretty cool. If it were still pertinent I could snap a pic but it'd be from a distance.
                  Last edited by Loren; July 19, 2017, 07:01 AM.

Comment

I was thinking of putting TT's on my Vette.

Comment

Can't say there'd be anything wrong w/ that...

Click image for larger version

Name:	corvette tt.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	1167588

Comment

I love em . Especially in a 17 inch size . But the don't look right on everything . Fortunatly they don't look right on everything . A forth gen vette is one of those . So , I'll likely never get a set .
                        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Ok ok ok........I might have over reacted...Lets just say it would be a bad night at the local cruse night if you made a drinking game out of torq-thrusts.

torq-thrust....drink

torq-thrust.....drink

torq-thrust......drink

an hour in and people are writing stuff on my face in sharpe. 12 hours in I wake up in an abandoned mall parking lot wishing for water and some pants. Why am I handcuffed to a shopping cart? How am I going to convince the uber driver this is cool? This isn't the mall the show was at?

All because of torq-thrusts

Steve

Comment

Suprise, maybe i come around once in a while. My thoughts on the wheels. Crager SS. Nothing looks better on a Vintage auto as a fresh set does.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	mump-1201-00-1973-ford-mustang-convertible.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	707.4 KB
ID:	1167632 this is why I like slots on these cars...
                              Patrick & Tammy
                              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Working...
                              X