I Finally Got In, Finally...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Finally Got In, Finally...

The company I work for is extremely hard to get hired into. I've been a contractor there since last September, and some guys there have been contractors there for several years. You have to know your shit, and/or prove your worthiness to be considered for permanent employment. So on Friday June 30th I got called into the office by my boss and the HR guy. The HR guy has a manilla envelope in his hand with my name on it. They sit me down, semi serious looks on their faces... The HR guy says; "Eric, we're offering you a full time permanent position with fully paid medical benefits, 401k, 2 weeks of vacation, 6 sick days, paid holidays, and a $1hr pay increase effetive July 1st.. Here's the paperwork, please review it and sign at the bottom of page 2..." I asked the HR guy and my boss, is this for real, seriously? They're like.. well yeah, you do a great job for us here, it's been noted, and we'd like to retain you. I almost fell out of the chair I was sitting in. If I wasn't so fat I would've done a cartwheel right there. I got up, shook the HR guy's hand, gave my boss a big man hug, and profusely thanked both of them. My boss told me I earned it. They like the work I do in the shop, and they were happy with the field work I've done. I've busted ass since last September and it finally paid off. All I can say is holy shit I have a career now!!!

congrats, nice to see someone recognized and rewarded for their hard work

Comment

congratulations - so whatcha going to buy?
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

The American way! Good job! Congrats.
        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
        HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Good work, Eric! Sending even more positive wishes your way.

Dan

Comment

must be a good feeling.

the last time that happened to me, I was inducted into the walking dead men.
            that is some kinda famous for some.

congrats,
            the stability and those benefits are important.
            Previously boxer3main
            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Thanks guys. Honestly it was the last thing I ever expected to happen, but it happened.

Old Dog: It's nice to know people were watching and taking note of my work. It's a rare occurance these days to be rewarded for stuff like that.

Aaron: What am I gonna buy? The same thing I've wanted to buy for the last 13yrs, our house. I'm going to knock the mortgage out once and for all.

oletrux: It's the American way, for sure. This place is old school, they take care of the employees who take care of them.

Dan: There must have already been some positive vibes floating my way. I'm still dumbfounded over this, even 2 weeks later!

Barry: Stability and benefits are definitely important. I've never had a job with such a good benfits package.

Working for this company gives me a feeling of loyalty, and I find myself looking out for them more now. I'm part of the team, my job has significance.

That's a great feeling...

Comment

Really, I'm not surprised.. You ARE a smart kid!
                Had a few hard knocks, brushed yourself off and rose to the challenge!
                Congrats! Did you hear the buttons pop off my shirt?

Comment

Way to stick with it ... Congratulations !!!

Comment

Wow, that's the way to go Man!!!!

I know how that feels exactly. While I've worked for the same company all of my adult life, for about 8 years of it I was in purgatory. I was a contractor too, but they called it "internal consultant." Go work at that THAT mill, and THAT mill and on THAT project at THAT mill, EVERY mill. I was never home and I knew it couldn't last. Even if I could last I knew THAT couldn't last. Airplanes and motels. I gained a lot of exposure during that period, I guess that was a feather of some sort.

For the last 6 months of that ordeal I was on retention pay. Twice I had to sign a paper agreeing that they didn't have a place for me in their plan but if I would agree to stay on another 3 months they'd give me a bonus at the end of those 3 months. Just don't quit on us right now.

At the very end of the second 3 months of retention pay I was here at the mill in Tennessee, and crapping bricks, what will I DO?!?!?. It wasn't nearly the ceremony they provided for you, but the HR guy ran into me in the big hallway and said, "We want you here. We like what you do and we want to keep you here permanently." A few days later I got put on the local payroll and the other three guys who had been traveling like me got terminated.

So, YEAH - Congrats Man, you've obviously earned it!
                    Last edited by pdub; July 22, 2017, 04:47 AM.
                    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Good job guy - - congratulations !
                      Phil / Omaha

Comment

Very happy for you. My dad was a hard worker . This is what got me my job at the factory . I worked

​ hard to not embarrass my dad and to be worthy of the trust those people put in an 18 year old kid . Most good jobs are a lot harder to get into these days . Glad you made it !
                        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Congratulations. Sounds as though you earned it. The American way indeed. By the way, having been retired for ten years now, the one piece of advice that I give to everyone is to have your house paid for before you retire. Trust me, the taxes & insurance will be irritating enough without the house payment too.
                          ...when you got a fast car, you think you've got everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpvfmSL6WkM

Comment

Originally posted by 67 Camaro View Post
                            Congratulations. Sounds as though you earned it. The American way indeed. By the way, having been retired for ten years now, the one piece of advice that I give to everyone is to have your house paid for before you retire. Trust me, the taxes & insurance will be irritating enough without the house payment too.
                            Ain't that the truth!
                            Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                            HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Congratulations man! It's nice to see a company ACTUALLY appreciate someone for their hard work dedication, so many don't. Glad you got what you wanted.
                              Last edited by corvettedad; July 22, 2017, 03:11 PM.
                              Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
                              If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Working...
                              X