Cam sizing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam sizing

I'm so old that I remember when you could call a cam manufacturer for a cam recommendation.
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

And they were ultra conservative..
    The cam we run in the kid's derby motors are not supposed to work, but do very well..
    Of course it is the 3rd cam.. Got 2 others in their boxes covered in grease..
    It used to run a small stall converter but fried the hoses used for lines to the cooler.. Back to slightly over stock..
    I guess trial and error and error is the key?

Comment

If you go to the Comp Cams Website http://www.compcams.com/ , there is a toll free techline 1-800-999-0853 ... available 8AM-5PM Central time....
      Patrick & Tammy
      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Don't know their number but you can call Lunati, I did and the cam they recommend matched my expectations. The 468 in my 69 Camaro pulls like an angry mule and has old school sound!
        Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
        If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Tech Line: 662-892-1500
          Hours: Monday - Friday, 8AM to 6PM CST

Patrick & Tammy

Comment

we had the honor of having george striegel ( sadly i believe he has passed on now ) at clay smith
            pick a cam for us in a 1988 5.0 stang with a 69 lincoln 460/C6 swap. the stock 10-1 pistons
            hit the cam on the first 2 that my brother picked, he called me and i called clay smith.

mr. striegel had TONS of questions, compression, weight, carb size/type, head casting #'s.
            stall speed, rear gear, rpm range, what kind of driving we did, etc....

the cam was ( if im remembering correctly, its been a decade and a LOT of motors since then-
            but that was the last 460 ford, so it kinda stands out.) a 294/.577/108, idled like a prostocker
            and pulled from 2000-6000+rpm easily.

so much torque it pulled the rear upper contol arm boxes out of the floorpan the first week--
            and he wasnt even beating on it, just driving it as the motor wasnt broke in yet!

the first pass down our now long gone 1/4 mile was a 13.03--at an astounding 122mph!
            all other passes were 12.97-13.10, all trapping 118-124mph.
            no traction was his biggest problem. it was daily driven for 5+years
            and was reliable as a rock.

a quick call to mr.striegel to say thank you had him tell us that the 118-124mph trap
            speed shoulda/woulda/coulda been a mid to low 11, if only he could get it hooked up.
            we sent him some chocolate covered macadamia nuts as a thanks.

he was one of the best, a TRUE "been there/done that" pioneer of automotive folklore.
            and yet he still had time for two idiots from honolulu hawaii to help them pick a cam.
            thanks again mr.striegel, we will never forget you-- rest in peace.

Last edited by fatguyzinc; July 25, 2017, 08:35 PM.

Comment

When I was running stock cars, when cam time came I'd just call Chet Herbert and he would come up with a good cam for the application. Cheater cams, idled good but pulled strong and so on. I still have one of his 30-30 cams in the box new. And he would ship COD to a business. This was back in 1984. My latest cam, I talked to Comp Cams and they steered me to a XE grind, but I went with a comparable Lunati Voodoo cam instead and I'm happy with it.

Comment

still haven't heard from any of them - however, here's my bet of the general specs

245/250 duration, 6.30 lift both sides, 110 lobe separation. And if anything, I'll be low on the duration.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                  still haven't heard from any of them - however, here's my bet of the general specs

245/250 duration, 6.30 lift both sides, 110 lobe separation. And if anything, I'll be low on the duration.
                  Is it going in a 265 CI V8?

Comment

In the past, I've used several ways to consider cam sizing:

-Get recommendation from trusted local engine builder.

-On Air Flow Research's site, they do (or did) list engine combos and dyno results - I looked for the ones using the heads and cubic inches I have, observed the hp/tq numbers, and what their cam choice was (as well as making note of the timing used to achieve those results) .

-Blueprint.com sells tried and true, dyno tested, reliable power making engines. They list the cam specs for each engine. Other engine manufacturing / selling companies also do this. Take advantage of their research and development; buy a cam with similar specs to one of their engines you like.

I realize that these methods may be below your level of engine building knowledge SBG, but I mention them for the other people who may read this thread in the days, weeks, or years to come who may not have much (or any) experience in these matters.

Comment

...or as they used to say pert' much everywhere:

Put a 292 in it!

Comment

these three are current candidates from Comp cams
                        11-772-8
                        11-692-8
                        11-771-8

I'm leaning towards the 1st one....

Comment

Depends on your gearing...
                          Patrick & Tammy

Comment

I have 4 of them, all with a selection device that is operated from inside the cabin.

Comment

Lunati's Voodoo series of Solid Roller camshafts deliver more area under the curve than any other series of Hydraulic camshafts. This means more throttle response, quicker acceleration, more vacuum, better efficiency, combined with maximum horsepower and torque!Solid Roller Cam. Good cam for street/strip applications. Good mid range and excellent upper RPM, torque and HP. Works well in 454 c.i. motors. Needs 2800-3200 RPM stall converter, headers, 10:1+ compression ratio and 3.90+ gearing. Rough idle.
                              • Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 273/279
                              • Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 243/249
                              • Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .655/.663
                              • LSA/ICL: 110/106
                              • Valve Lash (Int/Exh): .018/.018
                              • RPM Range: 2600-6800
                              • Includes: Cam Only
                              Part Number: 40110732
                              Previous Part Number: 60232
                              $1010 for cam, springs, lifters and timing chain.

Comment

Working...
                              X