If You Haven't Used it In a Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If You Haven't Used it In a Year

Got into an interesting conversation at the table the other day at work. One guy said he had to clean out his "garage," and sort through it and then he put all of the same stuff back in it, but it was more neatly stacked.

Maintenance Manger (his name is Steve) replied, "If you haven't used it in a year, you don't need it. Throw it away."

I said, "Steve, I'll bet you've thrown a whole lot of good shit away."

Blank stare. Steve didn't have a good answer for that.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

How long it's been since you've used it means nothing in my experience. The rule is; at the point where you finally decide to throw it out and actually do, you'll need it within two weeks.

Comment

I store stuff for years before I use it, some, I'm sure will go out in the bin when they clean out my life after it's over. I wonder at people who hate their past so much that they feel inclined to throw everything away after a year.... with that said, I'm getting more and more likely to throw things out that 'just need one repair' then I am to keep it.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Ask the "throw it out if you haven't used it in a year" guy when he's scheduled to see the urologist. (Think about it.... it's pretty cruel)

Dan

Comment

My misses says...."Let's clean out the garage".
          We pull everything out.....each piece has a story
          and inevitably...."We might need it......sometime".
          And it all goes back again to be a magnet for more unthrowawayable items.

Apart from that an empty garage is like a vacuum
          and nature hates a vacuum all kinds of trash rush in to fill it.
          Better the trash you know.
          Last edited by malc; August 4, 2017, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
            Ask the "throw it out if you haven't used it in a year" guy when he's scheduled to see the urologist. (Think about it.... it's pretty cruel)

Dan

It was pretty mean of Pdub to bring that up (pun, not sorry) today.
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I have kept stuff for 20...plucked it back out and used it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07119w.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	841.9 KB
ID:	1169209

These yakima roof racks are 31, more than 300k. 3 different cars. Came on my first subaru, they were ten years old, 20 years ago.
              I let them sit once, couple of years. Even used it as curtain rods.
              I have done that to engines.

heck, my wheels are 30 years. they sat for more than 10. odd 4x140 pattern.
              keeping american stuff.. I don't know as much would sit around.

piles seem to be foreign. the most pain to keep or let go of.
              Previously boxer3main
              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

IF I haven't used it in a year then it is a pretty safe bet that I have no idea where it is so it is safe for another 5 - 10 years!

Comment

It takes me a year to get started on new projects. I can't throw anything away, it all has a place to go when I get time for my stuff instead of things that pop up and take priority....like a vacation or family time.

EDIT; Every one of you that has met me has met one or both of my kids so don't go there.
                  Last edited by 68scott385; August 4, 2017, 02:23 PM.
                  http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

It was pretty mean of Pdub to bring that up (pun, not sorry) today.
                    Shoot, I'm all the time getting into trouble, sometimes when I don't even mean to.

So let's talk about "football"....woops, did it again...

Comment

Heh, another thing that simply doesn't apply when you have owned a car for 35 years and haven't driven it in 30. The stacks of parts are there for a reason, because I got them already so I don't need to go find them when I need them. How many sets of wheels do I need for one car? Not sure, but they fit other cars....

Comment

The thing that blows my mind, Steve (the maintenance manger) is all into drag boat racing. 499 cubic inch nitromethane drag boats. Drag racing on water. He builds and drives them. They go to events all over America and they win. And for him to say that....throw it away after a year.....that tells me his team is using all new parts. Conjecture and speculation allowed and encouraged.

Comment

I agree wholeheartedly with Todd. I'm almost positive I have two and a half cars in a one-car garage. One is mostly complete and the others are in parts. I hate to admit this, but I have parts for a project that was supposed to happen during summer/fall 2012 and hasn't happened yet. Still have the vehicle, still have the parts, just haven't been able to stop driving it, or working on "priorities" long enough to get that project done.

EDIT: And that's not even my "Spyder".....
                          Last edited by 68scott385; August 4, 2017, 05:36 PM.
                          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Does anyone know how short a year is? I had a spare tire that didn't fit the car it came with, no clue what it went to still had it after I sold the car. Ended up getting $10 for it after listing it on Craigslist for over 2 years. Some guy drove 45 minutes to come pick it up.

I haven't had time to throw stuff away or list stuff I do not want to store. I sold a driver side mustang door for $20 because I didn't "have the space" for it. I now need a winow regulator. They go for $40. If I had only known.
                            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                            1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                            ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                              I now need a winow regulator.
                              I do TOO!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH

Comment

Working...
                              X