What would you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do?

Ok, I was on my way to work the other night and ny falcon started popping out the intake and had a huge miss. I got around to pulling the valve covers and found the problem. The #4 rocker is split in two, all the needle bearings are in the motor somewhere. Would you dare replace the rocker, pushrod and an oil change? Or go the smart route and pull the motor yet again to clean the pan? The rockers are new 1.6 scorpions, adjustable guide plates and z303 roller cam. Has anyone else had this happen? Is it just bad luck? Did a lifter let go?

Pull the pan in the easiest way possible . Maybe take the motor mounts loose and jack the motor up to get the pan off .
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

pull the motor
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

A friend of mine had a Fox body mustang.....first stage of building it up, it got a cam, Comp Roller Rockers, headers & exhaust.....a while later, he was driving along, and the thing locks up SOLID with no warning. Well, they pull it out, open it up, and discover that one of the roller rockers had lost it needle bearings, which got washed into the pan with the oil being drained back from the heads.....then managed to get sucked up by the oil pump pickup, and promptly got stuck between the gears in the oil pump
        So yah, do what ever you have to do, but I wouldn't be driving it any more untill you retrieve all the needles & replace the rockers, or you will end up with an untimely excuse to build a new longblock, with upgrades and a Kenne Bell supercharger on top
        And the same fellow had a friend who worked for a large Global manufacturer of bearings (same one that supplied the bearings to Comp for their roller rockers), and he told him they'd had a bad batch, provided him with documentation, etc......and when he contacted Comp, they were not the least bit bothered by all this, and despite the evidence he had provided, opted to not warranty anything just the same........needless to say there were mo Comp products used in the rebuild of the longblock.......
        Last edited by Tubbed Pacecar; August 4, 2017, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Had a similar deal where a roller lifter let go (in the days before I saw the wisdom of rev-limiters) and yep one of those little suckers went right up the oil pump intake, how it fit longways through one of those screen holes (actually perforated sheet in this case) that was hardly any bigger than the roller diameter I don't know. It sure destroyed the pump. My oldest daughter was around and looking for something to do one evening and we sat there with the motor on a stand collecting little metal bits until we had accounted for each one, the whole deal took hours not to mention the cost of a new set of lifters 'cause they wouldn't sell singly. What a pain but it's what you gotta do. I'd sure switch to a different rocker set if these are proving to be junk.

Comment

I'd order a stroker kit.
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
              I'd order a stroker kit.
              And a blower.
              Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

And a blower.
                Well played!
                "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Well played x2
                  Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Ha, alright...i'm convinced. I figured there was no way they'd get past the pump screen. It'll be on the back burner for now, as soon as I can afford that stroker kit. Great feedback by the way. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X