REAL High Tech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REAL High Tech

You guys think camshaft tech and the like is high tech, right? Well, here's REAL high tech. Remember, this starts out with an atom smasher (cyclotron) splitting apart hydrogen atoms to free the protons. (cut & paste)

I thought you guys might enjoy these. Last night he gantry crew took some shots of me getting treated and here they are. Lots of Star Wars tech here but absolutely painless.

1) Me getting onto the gantry "bed".

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1646.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	235.3 KB
ID:	1169997

2) Getting aligned. It's important that the patient is in JUST the right place so the beam only gets the places that need it.

Name:	IMG_1647.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	223.7 KB
ID:	1169998

3) Apertures (the brass things) and the compensator. The apertures shape the beam to JUST the shape of the tumor - it takes 2 of them to shield the rest of the beam and keep it from penetrating. The compensator (the plexiglass ring) reduces the power of the beam and helps set the depth of penetration. For perspective, these are about 8" in diameter and the apertures are about 2+ inches thick. There's a different set for the other side - they shoot from one side one day and the opposite side the next.

Name:	IMG_1648.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	225.3 KB
ID:	1169999

4) Here you can see the compensator in place and I'm about to start actual treatment. 2-3 minutes later I'm done.

Name:	IMG_1651.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	232.0 KB
ID:	1170000

These pics are kind of grainy but the light in the gantry rooms is pretty low so it's the best we could get. I think this technology is fascinating and it's SO cool to be the beneficiary of it.

Dan

Serious business right there. I hope those electron beams destroy their target!
    Last edited by DirtyWhiteBoy; August 11, 2017, 08:41 PM.
    A.K.A. Brian
    Jack of many trades-master of none

Comment

Yeah now we've seen the pics we can be in there with you in spirit a little better... Like they say, some things are all about having the right tool.

Comment

Beam me up Scotty !

Comment

Go Dan Go!
          Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Great to see technology in action! Phasers on kill!
            Hang in there Dan.
            Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
            If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyWhiteBoy View Post
              Serious business right there. I hope those electron beams destroy their target!
              Protons, not electrons! Different part of the atom. Protons do excellent things, like not blasting everything around the treatment area - just the tumor.

I've had ME and The Boy here all week which has been a real treat. Now they're loading up to head back home. I have a couple more weeks and then just a check-up from time to time but almost all guys have zero issues from here on out.

Dan

Comment

Best of luck in your treatment Dan, good to see you are in good spirits also.
                Phil / Omaha

Comment

Thanks for the update! our thoughts and prayers are with you! Hang in there fella!
                  Patrick & Tammy
                  - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Still over my head but glad someone could figure it out !
                    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
                      Still over my head !
                      Ahhhh, I see that you're back.

Comment

We have the technology... We can rebuild him.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
                          Still over my head but glad someone could figure it out !
                          Glad ta see ya!

When they did my hip replacement..I had alot of bone chips and fragments that were impossible to remove. I had to do 2 rounds of radiation or something like that.. Thus that asscheek never regrew hair.. Miracles of modern science.. Supposedly the next hip replacement will give me a scar 1/8 the size of my first one.. Too bad I can't wait for them to invent a cutless type of replacement ala Star Trek..
                          Last edited by Deaf Bob; August 12, 2017, 09:16 AM.

Comment

hopefully there were no radioactive spiders in there...
                            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                              hopefully there were no radioactive spiders in there...
                              Haven't seen any yet - but my Spidey senses are tingling.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X