The Great Eclipse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Great Eclipse

Man, is that ever getting some attention in this area. Total eclipse of the sun. And it's great for the region's economy. All of the little towns north of here are sold out, motels and campgrounds, everybody wants a chance to see it, folks coming in from all over the BIG map to get into the path of it. Of course they're all playing it up, it really is a big celestial event, so rare.

It'll be pretty neat, it'll get midnight dark in the middle of the day. The big thing is, all of the solar viewing glasses are sold out. They gave away a couple thousand pairs of solar glasses in downtown Chattanooga today in 20 minutes, and 3/4 of the people in the really long line went home without glasses. The eclipse frenzy is at a fever pitch. Unit tried to order us some, well, she DID order us some from far away. Let's see if they get here in a week.

And be careful which ones you order. Lots of racketeers are selling solar glasses that don't even protect your eyes. Why would anybody do that? Yes, for a quick buck of course, but where lies the moral conscience of those folks selling those? We'll take the money and disappear and a lot of people will go blind looking at the sun. What's UP with that? Who would DO that?

Well somebody will, and of course they're doing it. I just don't get "it." Maybe their defense will be, "The customer chose to look directly at the sun, it was their choice." Dang, I just don't get it.

And everybody will be bummed out if it's cloudy that day, but it's for sure going to get dark in the middle of the day. As dark as can be. Pretty neat, a once-in-a-lifetime thing just to say you were there. I'm sure that's what all the fuss is about. Yep, pretty cool.
    Last edited by pdub; August 14, 2017, 03:38 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Arc welding helmet. At least, I think those are OK.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Dan
      Yep, it's either a 12 or 14 rating on those, can't recall which.
      Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

https://www.harborfreight.com/weldin...ign-63121.html Click image for larger version

Name:	image_27387.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	199.4 KB
ID:	1170298
        Patrick & Tammy
        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
          auto darkening, and, useful afterward!
          Patrick & Tammy
          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/...projector.html

Oughta be safe with this..
            As for welding helmets, very dark ones and briefly look..
            Glasses need "ISO" on them ..

We are right in the middle of the path.. Kids are having a party at the farm..
            Supposed to be rainy and cloudy
            As it always is when the persid showers happen...
            Last edited by Deaf Bob; August 14, 2017, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Robert and one of his buddies are base camping at the Gearhead Inn Sunday and Monday, his first big adventure without me!! He's determined, I think they'll like the night time movie also. Would love to go but this is his time, Been planning for two years.
              Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
              If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

We are just south of the track, but it will be total here. Of course I'll be out on a trip to northern Michigan. I'll show Mary how to use the welding helmet before I leave Thursday.
                Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

I tole ME she could use mine as I'm here but she didn't seem to get the whole concept. I mean, she understands the process of putting the thing on her head but the IDEA of doing so seems impossible to her - guess it's a girl thing. I may swing by HF and pick up a cheapie (I aleard own 2 but none with me).

Dan

Comment

Warnings are out that even the ISO certified labelling has been counterfeited. IF you are going to use the glasses to view the eclipse, it is IMPERATIVE that it can be verified that they were manufactured by one of the "safe" companies. I found a list of them in one of the many news articles, and ordered from one of them directly. Got the tracking info today...they are on the way to weeville!

Comment

Originally posted by sueunit View Post
                      Warnings are out that even the ISO certified labelling has been counterfeited. IF you are going to use the glasses to view the eclipse, it is IMPERATIVE that it can be verified that they were manufactured by one of the "safe" companies. I found a list of them in one of the many news articles, and ordered from one of them directly. Got the tracking info today...they are on the way to weeville!

Great! Was gonna grab a couple of extras and ship em to ya! A Couple places just advertized they still have a few left!

Comment

I guess I'll leave my subaru alone and stay home.
                        I spent 8 bucks in gas and was more miles than I can remember last night.

maine will have a 58% eclipse.

Click image for larger version

Name:	eclipse.png
Views:	41
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	1170339
                        Previously boxer3main
                        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Dan
                          I have seen in a couple of places that welding helmets are not good enough. BE CAREFUL! I cannot find the approved glasses anywhere near me. I have been looking for a while now. Most places only got a few pair and sold out almost immediately. Looks like we will be using the old pinhole in cardboard over the shoulder method.

Comment

Seems if you just look up and take a glance with even brazing googles you'd be fine . After all , have you not ever been driving directly into the sun . The deal is we don't contantly look into it we look away we use one eye then the other . The problem I would think would be GAZING into the sun or it's eclipse for a prolonged period of time . Is it really supposed to get as dark as night ? We had one of these things in the 90s . It may not have been a total eclipse. I can remimber moving grass and somewhere in the early after noon it went to dusk for what seemed like 15 minutes, thinking back .
                            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Sun goes dark at 9 am.... so what? I'm sorry, I've seen this before. whippersnappers. now get off my lawn!
                              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                              X