Redneck Yard Sweeper Ressurection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redneck Yard Sweeper Ressurection

I've been working on this thing for two afternoons. Yard sweepers are pretty cool. You tow them behind the riding mower, they had brushes on a shaft, they pick up everything. Grass clippings, twigs, leaves, it tosses it all into a bin. The faster you go, the better it works. Fun in the yard, pretending to run a road course on the riding mower.

This one, time gets away from all of us. We got this one when we moved in here about 9 years ago. The bin fabric is rotten, the natural death of anything left outside in the weather. Look at the fine crafting, the sculptured lines, it looks like it's going fast just sitting still...

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000938.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	678.5 KB
ID:	1170683
    I can't part with it. I got an old tarp and put that inside the bin to catch the stuff and cut it up and attached it to fit. I turned it upside down to drill holes in it for tie-wraps, and both of the support rods came flying out, no telling where they went, I can't figure it out or find the holes for them. But here it is, refurbished. Ready to ride again.

Name:	P1000939.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	656.0 KB
ID:	1170684
    Let the betting begin. Will it make one lap around the yard, like one row, or will it collapse onto itself? It looks real good in the photo, but it's not. No odds offered and all real betting for money must be done offline. This is not a gambling site. Two days later and a lot of sweat involved (it's hot here again), it was fun to mess with. I don't think this thing will make it 20 feet and I'm not going to try it out today.

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

A fine job of redneck engineering.......
    Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
    The older I get The Faster I was!

Comment

I'd hire these guys. Didn't you say you believed in checkbooking your yardcare? Or was that Dan?

This fellow has the solution for your heat issue.

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

That was me. Use the phone!

Dan

Comment

Even more substantial design upgrade work done on Day Three of the rebuild. The heck with those wimpy hardened steel support rods that pooped out of there from somewhere, let's go with BAH (beefy as hell) exoskeleton support. This thing is ugly as sin but better than new, I'm sure of it, I'll find out in just a little while.

Name:	P1000940.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	687.5 KB
ID:	1170788
          Never mind I've already ordered a new sweeper, it's on the way. I had no idea I could ever fix this old dead one so well. But we'll see, test drive this afternoon. Bets are still open, and I'll say odds are now better than even for a successful run.

Comment

Win.

Name:	P1000941.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	650.0 KB
ID:	1170792

Comment

Now I've got a lawyer question....I was out there driving Junior the Riding Mower in the back yard, out of Turn 12 down the hill into 13 (I make eveything be a road course) and Junior's blade hit something. It was very close to the outside A/C package - WHAP-POW! What the....I hit something, and it nailed the heck out of the A/C package.

Next lap around, there it was. A golf ball. A frickin golf ball. I walk the yard before I mow it, looking mostly for pine cones. Throw them out of the way. I really DID let the grass get high this time since the sweeper was down for repair, I never saw the golf ball in the grass.

And our very favorite neighbors, their kids have gotten a bit taller and the tallest one has been out there practicing golf shots in their yard. With real golf balls. As soon as I saw that going on, it was oh boy, there goes a window and I'll have to argue with the "adult" who won't talk, not a word. He either can't talk or he won't.

The lawnmower processed the golf ball and that thing hit the A/C package about 200 mph, maybe 3 feet later, however fast the lawnmower blade turns....just speculation, all is well. I couldn't even find a dent in the A/C package, but it made one heck of a noise on impact.

But here it comes....what IF that golf ball had gone through the window glass into Unit's media room, but it DID NOT, so all is well. But what if it DID, at 200 mph. What recourse would we have? Any?
              Last edited by pdub; August 18, 2017, 04:10 PM.

Comment

I am no lawyer, but if you picked the golf ball up with your hand and accidentally threw through the window, is that a lot different than picking it up with a lawn mower and throwing it through the window?
                hmm i don't know.

Comment

If you back it up you can be a 200MPH Club Member. LOL

Nick

Comment

Court's Evidence Exhibit #1: The Projectile as Found on the Scene

Name:	Golf Ball.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	1170822
                    It's obvious in golf terms that I "topped" this shot. Junior's blade barely hit the top of the ball, but it still came out of the exhaust chute at about 200 mph. If Junior the Lawnmower's blade had centered this ball upon contact, it would have gone slam through the A/C package, through our house, across the street through Superman's windows and landed at the fire department station across the road from Home Depot about a mile away.

When I was a little kid about 50 years ago it was fun to cut golf balls apart and see what was inside. Back then it was maybe 9 miles of really narrow rubber band wrapped tightly around a tiny little soft rubber ball that was filled with some kind of toxic fluid. Not so anymore, the core of this golf ball looks solid. Solid as hell but I'll bet it's marginally flexible when contacted with about 2000 G's of force.

Just sayin.

Comment

I know...I KNOW....I completely know what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna throw that golf ball into their swimming pool. The "adult's" father hasn't come over yet to put the cover on the pool for the winter, I'll throw that golf ball into that pool and I'll know where it is, but they won't.

A win. Of sorts. We'll know, but they won't. Maybe I'll video me doing it....

Comment

Guess who will get the blame for hitting a golf ball into the pool too ... the "tallest" kid.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
                          Guess who will get the blame for hitting a golf ball into the pool too ... the "tallest" kid.
                          Stand by Steve....video forthcoming....I love to hate the folks next door to us.....

Comment

Steve, it's with great apologies, this is on Daily Motion. I cannot remember my password to YouTube I'm locked out.

Anyhow, here it is.

Last edited by pdub; August 19, 2017, 06:06 AM.

Comment

Now don't you wish you'd thrown that pizza also?
                              "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Working...
                              X