From Rookie to Record Holder at Bonneville 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From Rookie to Record Holder at Bonneville 2017

Some of you have followed my posts on Project cars about my 79 Zephyr but I thought I would give a brief run down on the Salt Flats Race. We took an untested car to the salt. I had driven it down my driveway so I knew it had first gear, reverse and the clutch worked. First pass I needed a run between 125 and 150 MPH. I tried for 7000 rpm in 4th gear and got my rookie pass over and a D licence going 138.253 MPH. The next pass I had shifter problems and aborted the run. I wanted to get my C licence (150 to 175 MPH) so I went back to the 2 mile rookie course and on that run a boost tube came off and I coasted to a 139.643 MPH. Had a minor problem with the shifter on the next pass and aborted that run. Fixed the shifter and tried the 2 mile again but I was spinning the rear tires like crazy and managed a 144.235 MPH run. I decided to try the 3 mile course as I could be a little less rushed to get up to speed. After almost 4 hr wait I qualified with a 157.156 MPH on a 152.351 record and went to impound. The back up run was a disaster as the tranny was acting up as it popped out of second gear and then third and then I couldn't get 4th at all. In 5th gear at 3000 RPM I was going about 80 MPH and slowly picked up speed my speed for mile 2 was only 120.27 MPH and I knew I had to really put my foot down if there was any hope. Once I was in boost it pulled hard and I crossed the end of the third mile with a wheel speed of about 175 MPH and a trap speed of 155.582 MPH for an official record of 156.369 MPH.

congratulations!
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Nice! Got there in spite of the problems!
      Next time will be gravy!

Comment

Woo Hoo !
        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Sweet!
          Patrick & Tammy
          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Great first outing! You can be proud of your adventure and, of course, after a record-setting shakedown next year will be even better (crossing fingers).

Dan

Comment

Hope to meet you next year. Stay Healthy!!

Comment

Any pics of your car? I was pitting on a car from Canada and they spoke of this Zephyr? Way to go running on a record first time out!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ratpatrol66 View Post
                  Any pics of your car?
                  He has some posted in his build thread ... but it would be cool to see some on the salt.

I went to Bonneville as a crew member for a friend in 2008 and I really wanted to come back with my own car. I have been collecting parts for the last few

Comment

Well here are a couple of pictures from the Salt. The first is when the car touched the salt for the first time. The 2nd is after I had set the record. I haven't got all the pictures that were taken so maybe I can post more when i get them
                    Attached Files

Comment

Way to go .. I'm envious !

Comment

Better wash it right away - you got salt all over it!

Dan

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_0772.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	553.1 KB
ID:	1171630 Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_0773.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	526.9 KB
ID:	1171631 Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_0775.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	437.0 KB
ID:	1171632 I started the cleaning process. So far I have scraped 50 lbs of salt out of the rear wheel wells. That box is 8" wide by 16" long and a foot deep. It is just about full.

Comment

'Mazin', ain't it?! You'll have salt in places that you didn't know you HAD places?!

Dan

Comment

Save it for your driveway this winter!

Comment

Working...
                              X