No announcement yet.

The Mailbox Thread - Done and W/Pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So the C.B. DeMille (years in the making - cast of thousands.....) of mailbox projects is finally done for all intents and purposes (I need to pick up 2 pavers). So here's the pics:

Hole where the old post rotted off. Note that there's a nice paver pad around it so the mail carrier doesn't drive thru the mud to get to our box. I numbered the old pavers so I could put everything back where it started but that was for naught. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1669.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	491.5 KB
ID:	1174814

The concrete plug I pulled out of the hole with the engine hoist. Whoever set the last one didn't want it to fail either but had the 'crete up to ground level - guess where it rotted? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1671.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	397.7 KB
ID:	1174815

New post in place and leveled. Assuming spirit levels still work it's straight up and down. Notice the convenience of having a spare 80lb. lump of concrete sitting around. If anyone wants to EVER remove the new post they'll have a similar task as I put another 80 lbs. of concrete to secure probably 75 lbs. of steel. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1673.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	448.2 KB
ID:	1174816

And all finished up. Note the hanging SS violin and the hand-carved treble clef. Future treble clefs will be water jetted like the violin. There are 16ea. 6-32 screw holes drilled and tapped to hold the numbers on - that took a while!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1675.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	390.9 KB
ID:	1174817

Anyone need an 80lb. plug of concrete? Guess I'll have to load that up (back to the cherry picker) and drag it off to the landfill.

Dan
    Last edited by DanStokes; September 24, 2017, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Looks good!
      I set 3 posts in 'crete and 1 in dirt.. 2 'crete ones rotted off at ground level, one is still good. All 4 are pressure treated.. The one in dirt close to the ditch of water just rotted.. It been knocked over 5-8 times despite being reflectored up the whole thing! What killed it? A yellow jacket nest at the bottom!
      Last edited by Deaf Bob; September 24, 2017, 11:41 PM.

Comment

WOW, that's superb. That half circle of stones makes it look like sort of a shrine. The mail delivery person will feel honored every time they deliver a parts catalog!

Well done Sir. Overly well done if you were me. That's above my quality of output for sure.
        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

The pavers were there before the post failure. Our mailbox sits off the street a bit as do most in the neighborhood and whenever it was rainy it tracked mud all over when she drove up to and away from the box. Our wonderful next door neighbor (he's a finish carpenter by trade but can do almost anything) had a spot in his schedule so we had him make the drive-up - this was several years ago. Of course, I had to pop out several pavers to dig out the concrete plug and set the new post, then fix what I screwed up. I tried to get the new post exactly where the old one was so I could just pop the pavers back in but I'm not that good! Done now.

And of course it's overdone. If I did it you can pretty well bet it's overdone - haven't you been following the Volvo thread?

Dan

Comment

it would be far easier to simply dig an 80 lb concrete sized hole and bury it... best of all, you could use it as a come along point for frame straightenings....
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

If we lived on that kind of lot I would - but we don't. Good thought, though.

Dan

Comment

Looks great Dan !
                Yep, posts always rot and break flush with concrete .. our 4x4 treated posts now go directly in soil.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
                  Looks great Dan !
                  Yep, posts always rot and break flush with concrete .. our 4x4 treated posts now go directly in soil.
                  Our next door neighbor (he works in the trades) has found that if you leave the concrete about 6" or more from the ground level then bury the rest with soil that stops the rotting at the concrete level. So having the mass of concrete down low keeps the post stable but having soil up at ground level keeps the rot away. I did that here and also have the post treated (powdercoat outside and spray undercoating inside) so hopefully it'll last. If it makes it for 20 years I probably won't know when it does ultimately fail!

Dan

Comment

I love fixes that will last beyond my lifespan ... don't ever gotta worry about that again, for the rest of my life.

Comment

Postman posts the post into a postbox on a post.

Comment

Originally posted by malc View Post
                        Postman posts the post into a postbox on a post.
                        Damn Spaniards! (OK - Catalans).

Dan
                        Last edited by DanStokes; September 27, 2017, 11:26 AM.

Comment

No Catalans here......
                          October first there is going to be (maybe)
                          an "illegal" referendum on seperating from Spain.

Should be fun.

As yet nothing in the post about it.

Comment

Nicely done!

Comment

Working...
                            X