Old People, Hurricanes and Wisdom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old People, Hurricanes and Wisdom

My Mom just turned 100. Still bright but mad as hell they took her license after she hit a car, drove home (it was just a scratch) and her car was totaled. Today my brother took her to WalMart near Orlando. She told him "People are dumb, the only thing sold out is snacks". He said "Yeah, you and all that frozen food, what if the power goes out?".
    My hobby is needing a hobby.

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
    My Mom just turned 100. Still bright but mad as hell they took her license after she hit a car, drove home (it was just a scratch) and her car was totaled. Today my brother took her to WalMart near Orlando. She told him "People are dumb, the only thing sold out is snacks". He said "Yeah, you and all that frozen food, what if the power goes out?".
    Very well put and well told Sir. And I would think the power going off near Orlando is not at all an "if" proposition, but instead a "then" statement. Or a "when." Followed by "for how long."
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

my uncle lived in florida. He wanted his sister to head down that way (my mom) with us when we were kids.

one thing I remember most is.. if you are to the west of the eye, it cog wheels by... if you get hit with east it is a beast.

the whole east coast is the same wisdom.

I hope we get some good rain...50 and 60 mph wind from the south is wimpy compared to the cold northwest.

my truck had a spell today, volt change... I thought my subaru was the only prophetic instrument.

stay safe. I'd go with the keys lady who is packing for the first time in 51 years...
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I'm hoping Irma misses that right turn at Cuba and fizzles out before it hits Panama.

And my brother is old too. *I* am old and he is older and Mom.......
        Last edited by RockJustRock; September 7, 2017, 06:18 PM.

Comment

I'm hoping Irma misses that right turn at Cuba and fizzles out before it hits Panama.

And my brother is old too. *I* am old and he is older and Mom.......
          People should just get out of there instead of "prepare." But we all realize not everybody has the means to get out of there. That's the sad part, the folks who cannot leave even if they wanted to.

Guys, I apologize for gloom and doom but a hurricane is something you do not want to "see." You can't know or believe what a hurricane is until you're been through one. And my experience was about 150 miles inland, when it for strange reasons it didn't weaken much when it came inland.
          Last edited by pdub; September 7, 2017, 07:00 PM.

Comment

My brother was going to drive to the Knoxville area where he used to live but the roads are gridlocked to the tune of a two hour drive taking ten.

Comment

My brother was going to drive to the Knoxville area where he used to live but the roads are gridlocked to the tune of a two hour drive taking ten.
              I think it would take ten well taken, ahead of the storm.

Comment

To put in perspective, a guy on one of the weather channels today said something that was pretty blunt, and I hate what's about to happen, but it was well said. He said, "Basically, Key West will become a part of the ocean."

I'd never thought about it that way, but there it is.

Comment

Predictions now show it to be heading right up the middle of the state instead of the Atlantic coast.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
                    Predictions now show it to be heading right up the middle of the state instead of the Atlantic coast.

Yep... hopefully that changes, as it almost ALWAYS does. As it is now, they are predicting 75 - 100 mph winds here in the middle of the state where it has always been safe from hurricanes. Well, except for Charlie.

Time to see how well my 68 year old concrete block house holds up. Got water, food, and gas for the generator.

Comment

Well, hopefully when it bumps into you first, that scrubs some of the wind speed off, so when it gets to us, it's just a strong breeze.

Comment

Today they are saying southeast or southwest coast.

Comment

I live near Tampa and today it is a beautiful bright sunny day but starting Saturday our winds will start to pick up and by Saturday night and Sunday all hell breaks loose!

I removed everything on the property that can fly through the air because anything left outside becomes a missile it the winds are over 75 MPH.

Street signs are the first things that start flying sideways through the air so we are hunkered down for the next few day's.

My home is about 60' above sea level so we have never gotten flooded out in 26 years but we can get wind and rain damage.

Jim Hill

Comment

The current estimated storm path takes it WAY inland from us and we're not expected to get much of anything. Of course we continue to watch carefully and will hit the highway if warranted.

Dan

Comment

chilly northeast wind getting sucked to florida.
                              not common for maine without a noreaster..

finding some interesting bits on Irma.
                              I am awake at 2 am for a reason.

top ten lowest barometer to hit america.
                              the longest lasting category 5, as in where it began east of the islands.
                              its pathway has never been seen. All storms originating close to african coast, ride the eastern seaboard, or close to it.
                              the tennessee endings have all been gulf or carribean birthed.

spans 300 miles, nearly twice the width of florida.

given the chill maine is feeding it, it is going to die off fast.
                              I hope it does not pop some ears like the rhode island hurricane in the early 80s.
                              the eye passed right over my town... and dispersed in what seemed like 5 minutes.
                              my little brother was knocked out cold.
                              the 76 buick century sat sideways in the driveway...
                              that was not where mom left it.
                              Last edited by Barry Donovan; September 9, 2017, 11:12 PM.
                              Previously boxer3main
                              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Working...
                              X