Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Move West young man ...

Comment

Sure am glad I got the hell out of SW FL, but I'm worried sick about all my friends still down there. Going to be a long day.
      "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Pumpkin View Post
        Sure am glad I got the hell out of SW FL, but I'm worried sick about all my friends still down there. Going to be a long day.
        Well, it's been a mass evacuation on a grand scale. Sounds from media reports and camera shots the folks who wanted out of there and those who COULD leave have already left.

In north Georgia yesterday, the motel we were at filled up with Florida folks. There were more folks from Florida than the local folks. Dawsonville Ga. Who the hell even knows how to find Dawsonville GA? More Florida folks on the highway than all other folks.

My best hopes and prayers for those who chose not to leave Florida if they could. It's not going to be pretty. Not at all.
        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

In north Georgia yesterday, the motel we were at filled up with Florida folks. There were more folks from Florida than the local folks. Dawsonville Ga. Who the hell even knows how to find Dawsonville GA?
          Probably the same way I found one in Warner Robbins, GA Friday afternoon. I started calling reservations at the motel chains asking for any available rooms along the I-75 corridor while I was sitting still or moving at 15 to 35 mph. It took 9.5 hours to get to the GA State line, 317 miles for a 33.4 average mph.
          "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Why on earth have CNN weather reporters standing out in a hurricane telling us it's raining and blowing hard ?

Comment

Originally posted by malc View Post
              Why on earth have CNN weather reporters standing out in a hurricane telling us it's raining and blowing hard ?
              It's due diligence as it's referred to stateside. They have to be in front of a camera and they consider it their responsibility to report the news. Whether they are lying or not. And this time they can't lie about the weather.

It IS silly, though, and from a weather standpoint it's their day in the sun. They have all of the equipment and technology just waiting for an event like this one. There may be some value added this time though, the people who rightfully ran away can at least get some regional idea what's happening to their house while they survive somewhere else.

Comment

Ya know what malc? You're exactly right. I just turned on the weather Channel for a minute. There's the guy, he's sanding out there in it. he might get hit by a street sign or a cow coming by with the winds that high. They (the weather drama professionals) don't have to do that. They could just show a camera shot without the guy in it yelling, it would be the same thing. Folks would be able to "see" what was going on, and it's bad for sure.

I'm with you. No. I don't get it either.

Comment

If we could get Gail to chime in I suspect she might say "It's television". The producers seem to think there's more drama to have some poor schmuck standing out in a storm rather than just a camera shot and a person safe in the studio talking about it. If they'd give us one station with the person in the storm and one with him/her in the studio so we could "vote" with our clicker we could all weigh in and they'd have actual data. But they won't do that - they just ASSUME that everyone wants to see a college grad get abused, kind of like watching Big Time Wrestling.

EDIT: I'm an old people and that's my wisdom about hurricanes.

Dan
                  Last edited by DanStokes; September 10, 2017, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Dan, you have forever been wise even beyond your years.

Let's start a poll. Do you WANT to see the weather guy out in the hurricane, or not? We can vote right here.

But I don't know how to start a poll.

Comment

No!

Comment

Poll. DB, start a poll. Somebody start a poll.

Comment

I realize what all of that is. Everybody left because they have good enough sense to stay alive, but the weather crew is right there in it. That's actually an insult, it should be, at least. People's houses and property getting torn to hell and there's the weather guy.

Fearless? No, I want this camera shot. I want to be the one in it. That's just....somebody start a poll.

Comment

Just seen a "weathered" guy on FOX News standing in flood water and rain telling me he's out there "to show us how dangerous it is and we should'nt try it"
                            .........duh!!!!
                            Last edited by malc; September 10, 2017, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by malc View Post
                              Just seen a "weathered" guy on FOX News standing in flood water and rain telling me he's out there "to show us how dangerous it is and we should'nt try it"
                              .........duh!!!!
                              I figured out how to start a poll, let's vote. On the main menu.

Comment

The storm has sucked Tampa bay dry.......
                                dippos are out there walking on the dry seabed
                                ......double duh!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X