Old People, Hurricanes and Wisdom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malc View Post
    The storm has sucked Tampa bay dry.......
    dippos are out there walking on the dry seabed
    ......double duh!!!!
    They'd better take selfies and run. They have no idea what's about to happen next.

EDIT: On second thought, they might as well take selfies and just sit there. They can't run fast enough or far enough on foot to get away from what's going to happen next.
    Last edited by pdub; September 10, 2017, 03:50 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Right now the news is about people who think they have the right to stock up their food larder
      from storm damaged shops.

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
        They'd better take selfies and run. They have no idea what's about to happen next.

EDIT: On second thought, they might as well take selfies and just sit there. They can't run fast enough or far enough on foot to get away from what's going to happen next.
        Clearing gene pool...

Comment

Me and my 68 year old house made it through. My 12 year old roof did pretty well, too, although I did lose about 30 ridge cap shingles. Already fixed - I have a building supplier close to where I live.
          Was without power for just under 48 hours, which is amazing considering all the trees down everywhere... but you should see the whiners on facebook demanding they get their power back or demanding an explanation why it's taking so long and/or an estimate of how long it's going to be.

The noises that a house makes during a hurricane... I was just waiting for the entire roof to get ripped right off. I had my birth certificate, passport, and DD214 in my pocket in a ziploc bag, and a week's worth of survival in my hiking backpack. Gun worn in its holster, spare magazine in cargo pocket, headlight around my neck, rainsuit ready to don.

Watching and listening to the weather updates for hours is terrifying. Listening to your house creak, groan, pop, and bang during the gusts for hours after the power goes out is worse...because we've all seen those images of south Florida after Andrew blew through.

While preparing for the storm, ie moving things inside the garage so they don't blow away or through a window, I managed to drop something right on the Chevelle. So, yeah, it's a tiny dent, but it's right on top of the friggin driver's side fender crease.

Comment

Super glad that you're OK. Our house is newer (1999) and has all the hurricane braces, etc. so it SHOULD come thru well but it wasn't tested this time. Sorry about the dent in the Chevelle but maybe one of those paintless dent repair folks can pop it out - some of them are pretty good. Depends on where it is and if there's a crease.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by yellomalibu View Post
              I managed to drop something right on the Chevelle ... it's a tiny dent, but it's right on top of the friggin driver's side fender crease.

Comment

Meanwhile I am here in northern nowhere, and only have to be concerned with copious amounts of snow for three months a year. Would be nice if it would stop raining for a couple weeks though. My power went out today, no high winds, no accidents, just the power went off. Last time it did that I got the power back two days later. That was in May.

I missed all the canes while stationed in Charleston. I was deployed for both of them and got there months after Hugo. Seen a few tornadoes though, used to be we all ran and hid from them, now everyone goes out to make a video.

Comment

Working...
                X