Let's go for a boat ride!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's go for a boat ride!

This may not be considered BS approved by some, but I dig boats too.

Wifey had some much deserved time off this week so we got play in the water a bit.

598 ci NA BBC (single) 775hp on dyno in this config

Last edited by DirtyWhiteBoy; September 8, 2017, 03:33 PM.
    A.K.A. Brian
    Jack of many trades-master of none

still has my daydreams.
    My uncles lobster boat could be heard miles before going into bar harbor.. but slow as hell.
    6 cyl diesel straight piped right up through the cabin.
    I loved the attention it got.

..my dad gets this little two stroke to play around in the penobscot tidal waters, and 50hp is next to nothing.
    drives me nuts.

I do not believe in revs, I want a real transmision, my way...
    inboard box, its own radiator, no interaction with any waters ever for cooling.

my most recent thoughts..
    a spare subaru motor in my own hacked hull of the billion little fiberglass sport boats selling for 500 dollars.

I already built a trailer, my dad still uses it today.
    130 horses in the 14 footer. Just right.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

fun stuff
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Why wouldn't that be BS approved ?

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
          Why wouldn't that be BS approved ?
          Bad choice of words I guess.

I know a lot of folks think that boats are dumb way to spend time and money.......After owning this one for the last 10 years, I have been among that group several times myself.

I have owned at least one boat since 1990, this one has been the most fun and by FAR the most aggravating of them all!

Barry, I'll stick with 750+ in my 26'er ........next rebuild she gets BOOST! My wife calls it a sickness, but she secretly loves it too!
          A.K.A. Brian

Comment

My buddy who owns a boat, once told me it stood for; "Break Out Another Thousand" !

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
              My buddy who owners a boat once told me it stood for "Break Out Another Thousand" !
              True.. 30 yrs ago it cost me fuel and snacks.. Now it has 3X $$ for registration, mussel inspection, drivers lic for boats, boating safety class, dock fees, putting in/out fees on top of that.. Fishing license were $18 and now are $100+.. tags were for 2-3 things, now everydamnthing requires a $60 tag ontoppa the license fee! Might as well put the motor in my pickup (350 chevy)

Comment

I grew up as a lake kid in MI until I was 13 or so (Lower Straits Lake). I have a love of boats though my knowledge is almost 60 years old. To me a Mercury is still the baddest engine on the lake and they have convoluted stainless steel fairings around the middle of the engine. Inboards were mostly Gray Marine and in either Century or Chris Craft hulls. Back then there were NO fees! Drop it in that water and GOOOooooo.

Dan

Comment

Nice! What's the fuel burn rate for that beast if you don't mind?
                  "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Pumpkin View Post

if you have to ask....

I know with my boats (jet, all BB whatevers) I'd burn 15-20 gallons a day depending on how much putting about
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Pretty cool! That water is flat, let's see a hole shot next time you have it out.
                      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                      ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Pumpkin View Post
                        At about 55 mph she is starting to pack air (lifting to reduce drag) and will be turning around 3000-3500 rpm depending on conditions.
                        I would bet at 55 my fuel use would be similar to a typical boat working much harder to make the same speed. (gps indicated not the average boat fantasy meter)
                        If I remember correctly, the dyno showed around 65 GPH at W.F.O. @ full dyno load.
                        Keep in mind you don't typically travel at triple digits for long before someone crosses your path not realizing you are covering a mile every 40 seconds.

I can't really answer your question accurately, but she holds 90 gallons of fuel, and that usually covers a 3 day weekend easily(we don't sit around much either).......A poker run at Lake Cumberland will burn up 90 gallons in a few hours and travel 140 miles or so including side trips to the falls and party coves. lol

Originally posted by Russel
                        Pretty cool! That water is flat, let's see a hole shot next time you have it out.
                        Russel, here is a clip from a few years ago. I think this was engine #2 (we are on 3.5 now).
                        I don't really do "hole shots" due to the max torque can twist prop shafts and brake the gears.

Skip the first half or so,it just shows accelerating onto plane.

Last edited by DirtyWhiteBoy; September 10, 2017, 04:56 AM.
                        A.K.A. Brian

Comment

Damn, but that sounds sweet !

Comment

I'm not a member of the BS Approval Board, but I'd be the first to approve all of that. Yep, I'm all in for sure. Great stuff!

Going fast on water.....yet another drug on the prescription list. A drug I haven't had a whole lot to do with. 60 mph on a borrowed SeaDoo is a rush. The SeaDoos are a heap more fun than the Yamahas, Whatta weekend that was, bumming hardware and laughing.

A guy at work builds and runs drag boats. 499 CI nitro-powered things. Zero to infinity in a few seconds. On water. That's insane to most folks. That's a drug taken to another level.
                            Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Talk about fuel use, the REAL boats are in town 30 miles north of me.
                              Several are running the Goodwin 650 ci 2000 hp engines and I suspect My Way and it's twin turbines was there too.
                              I didn't make it up there this year, but it's always amazing to watch the massive excess on display.
                              One of the Skaters ran 183 mph on pump gas a few years ago. It is just crazy!

A.K.A. Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X