We're Going to the Gear Head Inn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We're Going to the Gear Head Inn

Tomorrow. Well, today, later on. Jim and Mary and the Gear Head Inn. We'll get this retirement thing figured out, it'll take some time. But for now we're going up the hill to GHI because we can. We sure can. Road trip. Just because. Because we can. Nobody and nothing is stopping us. We sure can. And so we will. Just for the pure heck of it. Might as well. Something to do. And what better place to do it. Yep.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Who is driving Bubba?

Comment

NOW you're getting the hang of this! Have fun!

Dan

Comment

right on - subject matter experts need to have a good tan to be credible.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Hooray!
          See tag line
          Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
          If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Well, THAT was fun. Last night GHI was filled up with a whole bunch of motorcycle guys from all across the southeast, a brotherhood of sorts. All in the same profession. On a road trip and a ride-athon using GHI as Base Camp.

We were partying like animals around the fire pit, I wasn't paying any attention to what time it was.....maybe about 11:30? ... and the last reservation Mary was waiting on showed up in a car. They checked in and it was no time before Mary was out there waving both arms, palms down, telling us to chill the raucous racket, we were bothering the other guests.

That's a new one. Unit speculated on the way home today that maybe we BSers don't bother anybody partying because we're all BSers and we're all out there doing it at the same time, there's nobody else there to bother. So we shut up a little but, there was one guy who was REALLY loud....and we ran Jim slam out of wood for the fire pit about 1:30, and Unit and I were the first ones to get old and retreat to the room. They were still at it.

Comment

Who in their right mind goes to a place called Gear Head Inn and complains about the noise? To me the name implies open header tuning at 1AM. That's probably better than trying to tune a mini-bike in your apartment at 2AM but that's another story. One of these days I'll make that trip....and The Dragon is on my bucket list too.
              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Originally posted by 68scott385 View Post
                Who in their right mind goes to a place called Gear Head Inn and complains about the noise? .
                Amazing you should point that out Scott, that's exactly what one of the guys said last night. Word for word, verbatim, literally.

And those guys got such a thrill on the Dragon riding yesterday, they were just gushing about it. They all wanted to go back and do that again today. I tried to warn them, there's a huge difference between doing that on a Friday and then doing it on a Saturday. The Bucket List of All Humanity Factor indeed.

That's one thing I'm looking forward to, just deciding on any given Wednesday to go up there and run the Dragon when nobody else is up there doing it.

Comment

And what is it about GHI, the party late a night, there's going to be a glass Mason jar of some off-colored liquid getting passed around? Not for me, but I thought that was just a BS tradition. Apparently not, that must be a GHI thing. Yep, mountain water, or whatever Vic calls it, and those guys were sure into it. No wonder we all got louder than open headers.

Comment

And one of the great big guys (everybody's bigger than me) all of a sudden said at some dark hour, let me show you my bike, We've got some time to kill.

I don't know motorcycles. I know they all have two wheels. The majority of those guys were on Harleys. This guy had a BMW. He took great pride in showing me all that it would do from the driver's seat. Gyah. You can adjust the windshield, just too much stuff for me to list, all of the technology. All at the fingertips with buttons on the handlebars. Like a jet fighter plane I guess, overwhelming to me.

I asked him, thinking like I would think, "How can you manage all of that and still RIDE it?" I would wreck it piddling with all of that stuff, that's why I don't even have a smart phone.

When he was happy I said let me show you what I have. We walked across the parking lot and took a show tour of Red. I was amazed that he was at all amazed. He said let me go get Danny, he's GOT to see this. In a few minutes there was a small crowd of motorcycle guys gathered around Red, all drunk and swearing it was the bitchinest ride they'd ever seen. I was amazed and delighted. Motorcycle guys can be car guys, too. If they've had enough to drink.

Comment

they're just gearheads like us dub..... some appreciate all things mechanical,,,,
                      Patrick & Tammy
                      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                        they're just gearheads like us dub..... some appreciate all things mechanical,,,,
                        That is all it is... Bikes we got... XS1100 Yamaha, 753 Kaw triple H2, 2 Harleys, CR250, KTM 530, Honda 450, 5 Honda 50s, XL 350
                        Bunch of Vics the girls drive, 2 Sidekicks for play, not streeters, then to list the trucks, pickups, cars, damn! List be a long page!
                        Wanna count my chain saws? 6 Stihls, 3 old Macs. Sachs.. Took a 5 hp motor off a belt driven mower and put a 12.5 hp one on...
                        Derby cars... Ack, too many to count!

Comment

Those guys Friday night around the fire pit, they all had the smart phones. Their faces were all lit up from the light of their screens. And they were laughing and having a human conversation all the while they were online - "Hey did you just really SEND that?" YEAH!!!! Hey everybody check out his post!

Yeah it was fun watching. At one point the large guy with the BMW said toward us, Unit and me, "Y'all are just about the quietest two people in the whole place." I looked around, are you talking to me? Well, we're just soaking it all in. They all laughed and kept on reveling.

The loudest guy, he had a remote speaker to go with his smart phone/bluetooth, whatever all of that is. He had an app, he could make any song by any band ever play in about 15 seconds. And he was enjoying it. Taking requests, you couldn't beat him. He could make it play that song. That's what got us in trouble for loud, that speaker and those songs going on. And the loud guy liked it so much, he would only play about 30 seconds of a song and then announce, "HEY- what about THIS one?" Another song. Lots of country tunes, they were big into country. I'm still not, even after that barrage under the influence of liquid intoxicants.

BUT what a great bunch of guys out having fun on a road trip. And they chose GHI. A good choice for lots of reasons.

EDIT: Oh, I just remembered why started this post. The loudest guy, the one that was DJing the whole music festival, at one point the racket stopped and he actually did his best to stand up and make a speech. "THIS song, this one is IT. Y'all know I love each and every one of you like brothers, and I'm telling you, no shit, if you don't play this F-ing song at my funeral, I will come back and haunt your asses forEVER."

Skynerd, Simple Man. And everybody around the fire pit nodded in agreement. 30 seconds into Simple Man, "Hey, how about THIS one?' Another song. Or another piece of one.
                          Last edited by pdub; September 24, 2017, 04:57 PM.

Comment

I play music every night before I sleep.. Dark, deaf, hear and see what is not there... Bluetooth speaker off my phone playing stuff like Deep Purple, CCR, ZZTop, lots stuff.. Helps me fall asleep. Controlled noise Whatcha hearies call that? White noise?
                            Wife said I was listening to Orbison one night!

Even car stereos are bluetoothed..
                            Get a smart phone and enjoy life!
                            My speaker is by Sony and cost me 20 bucks.. Lay it on my ear and nod off, grandbabies borrow it and turn it way down.
                            Last edited by Deaf Bob; September 24, 2017, 11:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                              I play music every night before I sleep.. Dark, deaf, hear and see what is not there... Bluetooth speaker off my phone playing stuff like Deep Purple, CCR, ZZTop, lots stuff.. Helps me fall asleep. Controlled noise Whatcha hearies call that? White noise?
                              Wife said I was listening to Orbison one night!
                              I can't go to sleep by music. I'm too distracted by it, trying to figure out how they played it, note by note.

White noise is the air conditioner or a fan on high or something. That's good sleeping right there.

Comment

Working...
                              X