Parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parts

Patrick didn't pick this stuff out, so it probably won't work when it gets here...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clutch Parts.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	1174783
    That, and a fuel level sensor for the gas tank. i sure HOPE that's what's making Red's gas guage go beserk, alarming about out of gas when he has a full tank. That dash alarm went off about 20 times coming back home from GHI. And THAT lives in the gas tank underneath that OTHER impossible big ass lock ring identical to the one that tortured us for three weeks before we had Red towed to the shop in Ringgold. Somebody ELSE will suffer this project. We're thinking Matt's buddies in Ringgold again.

Dyno Man right up the road said he could do it (the clutch) but he burned me a new wallet on the dyno tune, lots more than he said it would be. I'm thinking when he saw the car he just figured we could afford it (whatever he wanted to charge).

More money this time just to keep going forward. But that clutch is lots more stouter than stock so I guess we can call it an upgrade, but it won't make Red go any faster.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

SPEC. Now that is an american kickass clutch.
    I got a custom non-existent, hot off the press for my 1987 subaru with the ten gears.

450 ft lbs is their "little" one.

stage 3 is going to be quite a blippy launch, but you are expert already in the racing stuff.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Dan said he'd help you while at his shop!
      Really not that hard to do.. Lift sure will help!
      I used to do the flatbed on my back with a cherry picker thru the passenger door to hold the tranny up in 3 hours
      Taking your time, visiting, a day job easily... I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
        Dan said he'd help you while at his shop!
        Really not that hard to do.. Lift sure will help!
        I used to do the flatbed on my back with a cherry picker thru the passenger door to hold the tranny up in 3 hours
        Taking your time, visiting, a day job easily... I think.
        Nothing is "easy" if you let ME touch it, and I don't mean Dan's Mary Ellen. And Dan lives a REAL long way from here. I can't drive more than about 5 hours at a clip anymore, that would be a two-day to get there and two days back. Which these days wouldn't matter except for jury duty a day per week. That, and that clutch doesn't have maybe that much left on it. It's not slipping but one of these soon days I won't be able to put it in gear because the clutch won't disengage all the way at the floorboard.
        Last edited by pdub; September 24, 2017, 10:58 AM.

Comment

I'm proud of ya! I think that you and Matt's buddies will have a beautiful relationship... It's good to have a shop that you trust that is familiar with your ride... and it's close enough so you could almost call it local...well played...
          Patrick & Tammy
          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
            Patrick didn't pick this stuff out, so it probably won't work when it gets here...
            Stuff looks good to me.

Comment

Gettin' close. Clutch, flywheel, fuel level sensor, they sent the clutch cable via PS ground, it's not here yet. Close. Red might get to go to GHI for the BS Tour. Waiting on a cable.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000965.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	648.5 KB
ID:	1175153

Comment

WOW, holy crap!!!!! Unit read the piece of paper in the box. In the directions for the clutch - "Use only non-synthetic brake fluid in the master cylinder; synthetic fluid has been known to cause fluid blow-by in these cars."

&^%$. Shit. Dang, merde. WOW. We've been running Motul RBF 600 fluid forever. It's high-temp synthetic. And Blow-by is what we're seeing on that right rear caliper at AMP. WOW. GYAH. Five times. Gyah. Shit. Gyah.

Comment

I sincerely hope that this could be the cure for that caliper... I hope that you don't have to replace the seals on the braking system as well... at the very least, you may want to run enough fluid through it to flush it fully!
                  Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                    I sincerely hope that this could be the cure for that caliper... I hope that you don't have to replace the seals on the braking system as well... at the very least, you may want to run enough fluid through it to flush it fully!
                    But flush it with WHAT? All DOT 3 & 4 is synthetic, according to Unit's first Google search. We boiled stock fluid the first time I ever took Red out with the stock setup. This is......wow. More research needed for sure. Much further knowledge required.

Driving back and forth around town is one thing, but pounding on a car as hard as it will go on a race track for 30 minutes at a time, that's when you get into another league of requirements, as to what will stand up to it.

I believe it, but I just can't believe it, we've been running the wrong fluid the whole time. And I believe it. It's certainly not anything mechanical.

Comment

I believe it, but I just can't believe it, we've been running the wrong fluid the whole time. And I believe it. It's certainly not anything mechanical.

but then why not ALL the calipers have blow-by?

i'd still guess either you have a microscopic burr thats cutting the seal, or the bore is
                      .00001 out of round, etc....something too small for the naked eye to see, and
                      under "normal" duress it doesnt act up.

but, as you said--beating on it for 30 minutes for all its worth makes a whole
                      different set of requirements rear its head. if it was my car i would change that 1 caliper.
                      just because that same one has given you grief multiple times.

Comment

Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post

that same one has given you grief multiple times.
                        Three different calipers on the right rear. Two stock calipers, three times on the SSBC caliper.

Unit and I just now had a heart to heart discussion about the whole thing. A soulmate agreement. I/we have had enough of that. I was the one to suggest that let's don't do that any more, we've done that track thing enough.

I've got no problem getting passed on the track all the time, but I've got a problem with it being me holding everybody else up. PLUS I'm an obstacle, which raises the risk for me and everybody else out there. We have had fun enough about 25 times later. Let's leave it to the other guys to air it out, the guys who are going much faster and enjoying their day a whole lot more.

Kinda like a day at work, I won't miss it. Seriously. Big decision, small effect.

Comment

I like the idea of pulling the ABS fuse and seeing if that solves the issue
                          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Three different calipers on the right rear. Two stock calipers, three times on the SSBC caliper.

Unit and I just now had a heart to heart discussion about the whole thing. A soulmate agreement. I/we have had enough of that. I was the one to suggest that let's don't do that any more, we've done that track thing enough.

I've got no problem getting passed on the track all the time, but I've got a problem with it being me holding everybody else up. PLUS I'm an obstacle, which raises the risk for me and everybody else out there. We have had fun enough about 25 times later. Let's leave it to the other guys to air it out, the guys who are going much faster and enjoying their day a whole lot more.

Kinda like a day at work, I won't miss it. Seriously. Big decision, small effect.

I think you and Sue have a great plan...fix that clutch and enjoy each other's company while being able to drive the twisties with much greater safety and confidence!
                            Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post

I think you and Sue have a great plan...fix that clutch and enjoy each other's company while being able to drive the twisties with much greater safety and confidence!
                              Yes. even more peace of mind.

Comment

Working...
                              X