Beef Stew at 6:00 in the Morning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beef Stew at 6:00 in the Morning

Beef stew in the crock pot has a whole lot of parts. And a whole lot of carving and chopping and stuff, that's called cooking, too. Time invested in the project. I did most of that yesterday, buying all the parts, all the chopping, it was all ready.

But when it takes ten hours to cook slow, when should you start it? When do you want it to be ready? Start it at 6:00 a.m.

Unit's sound asleep in bed. Kenny the Cat was doing the boxy cat thing under the pool table, just watching. He was saying, "Dad, you've lost your mind." Throwing shit together in a pot at that hour. He's just never seen me be off of work forever before. He's so used to a routine that we don't have anymore. He'll just have to get over it.

And that stew will be good, later on this afternoon. It'll make Red run better somehow. I have to tie cars into this somehow.

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Mmmmm, beef stew ..... I hope Sue is baking biscuits later !

Comment

I love Crockpot cooking. I have 3 different sizes, and sometimes I run 2 of them at once. I have a whole slew of favorite recipes and dishes, most of them easy to put together - and certainly easy to chow down on afterwards. Make a bunch, freeze most of it - you've got dinner for weeks.

Here's the easiest, and most handy considering the upcoming holidays. Get a medium bone-in ham, trimmed to fit in your largest Crockpot (mine is a large, deep, red oval.... I call it Big Red). Smear that ham with plain old mustard - all over it. Sprinkle freshly cracked black pepper all over it. Be generous. If you have some lemon peel, add a couple pinches. Drop the ham in the Crockpot, and gently pour a 2 liter of Dr. Pepper in the crock just over halfway up. Start it on low. 5 hours later, flip that ham over in the crock to do the other side. 10 hours later it will be almost falling apart, cooked to a sweet and delicious brown perfection. My family has loved it for years, and all the ladies in my Studebaker club wanted the recipe when I brought it one year for our Christmas get-together. Don't doubt me.
      Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

you have a trait from the north pdub.

I was eating my home made chicken soup sitting in front of the air conditioner for breakfast.
        the 90F spell is going to come crashing down soon to the 30s.
        Gotta think ahead.

like steel.

..and the welder that keeps it.
        unlike warm scandinavian flicks and a So Cal dreamer..
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Gotta drink a very cold Guiness with the stew....

Comment

If ME could still eat real people food (she has a VERY limited range of food) I'd still do cooking like this but now I'm just cooking for myself and pretty much everything I know how to make would last me for MONTHS! So she does hers and I do mine and mostly I make stuff it tiny batches. Sometimes I go nuts and have folks over just so I can cook stuff I like.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
              your largest Crockpot (mine is a large, deep, red oval.... I call it Big Red).
              Ya mean like this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000962.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	632.5 KB
ID:	1175139

Comment

That's the very one....
                Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

I bet it is starting to smell pretty good throughout the house by now !

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
                    I bet it is starting to smell pretty good throughout the house by now !
                    Is. Y'all come on over, there's plenty!

Comment

Gimmee a stew burger.....no fries.

Comment

Originally posted by malc View Post
                        Gimmee a stew burger.....no fries.
                        What's a stew burger? I'm guessing, would you just go through the pot and pick out about a half pound of the meat only and stack that on a bun?

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

What's a stew burger? I'm guessing, would you just go through the pot and pick out about a half pound of the meat only and stack that on a bun?
                          that is cheating.
                          no stew for malc.
                          Previously boxer3main
                          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Crock pots are the debbil!
                            Wood stove cooking is where it's at..
                            Big ole potta stew or chili simmered on the far corner.. Move it closer if the fire dies down..
                            Falls apart, meat or bean. House smells good!
                            Next day laddle a bit in a pan and warm it up!

Comment

You can't do a stew burger the stew juice tends to leak out.....t'was a joke.

Stew tastes better if it sits a day......curries too.

Have you tried Irish stew.....the same but add in
                              Guiness ?
                              Last edited by malc; September 28, 2017, 12:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X