No announcement yet.

Skid Factory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That was great, about three hours showing what it takes to do Drag Week from the other side of the world.

Well done to Benny and the boys for doing it so well.
    Last edited by 65RHDEER; December 28, 2018, 02:45 PM.
    Tim
    Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

• Originally posted by 65RHDEER View Post
      That was great, about three hours showing what it takes to do Drag Week from the other side of the world.

Well done to Benny and the boys for doing it so well.
      I wonder if he left the Cressida here for next year or if he's going to make good and bring an LS
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

I wonder if he left the Cressida here for next year or if he's going to make good and bring an LS
        I don't know but I can picture Al saying "keep watching Skid Factory to find out"!
        Tim
        Melbourne Australia

Comment

• Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• I'm laughing after this one. First:
            Dyno numbers - he asserts that his numbers are accurate and "american" numbers are not. I'm pretty sure that excuse is number 3 on the most used response to dyno numbers
            Heidts (or "the guys from California") - last time around he said he didn't know how they stuff that motor in that car.... Heidts is the American answer to that question. I get that it would be breathtakingly expensive in Australia and require an act of Parliament to make it happen. Let's do a reality check here, I don't watch MTOD because it's the same people doing the same thing but this time in front of a camera. Skid Factory is hot rodders doing stuff in front of a camera but done with what is fact in their world.... or shorter - I don't need to see another American solving the same problem in the same way.... the entire reason I watch is seeing someone else solve a problem in a different way.

That said, that Nova would have been chopped if it were mine and it would have made 600 hp with turbos (because without the inner fenders, turbos fit easy) .....

Comment

• That's just Al being Al in regard to the dyno numbers, a dyno is just a tuning device and the racetrack shows the truth.

Using US gear on a job like that we still have the issue of the steering wheel position.

I'm guessing we'll see a bit more of this Nova.

It will easily make 500hp, N2O!
              Tim
              Melbourne Australia

Comment

That's just Al being Al in regard to the dyno numbers, a dyno is just a tuning device and the racetrack shows the truth.

Using US gear on a job like that we still have the issue of the steering wheel position.

I'm guessing we'll see a bit more of this Nova.

It will easily make 500hp, N2O!
                it cracks me up that you can put 600 hp straight 6s in a Barra van, but bring in a 240z and you need to get it engineered....

Comment

• It's not all about the HP the car will make with an increase in power, it's about a few different things.
                  Brakes, are they able to do their job with the extra weight of the power plant and is braking affected front to rear.
                  Body, is it structurally able to hold the weight of the power plant.
                  Have modifications/welding been done to a know standard.
                  Also if a car has a percentage increase in power, it's 20% in Victoria, it also needs to be signed off by an engineer.

So we can modify cars but we must use stuff from other cars that already make the grade in Australia and are used on other models on the road.

It is a pain though, say you wish to replace your V6 in your Commodore with a V8, easy use all the parts that are different from the V6 to the V8.
                  Then show what and how you've done it to a Automotive engineer, pay about $300 for an easy job for him to approve, he signs off that it's all done correctly.
                  Take it to the government, they change the registration to show the car is now a V8.

That Bedford should be looked at because of the amount of power increase but there are tons of cars here that would push that 20% rule.

If your any more interested with what it's like here, as a starting point!

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/-/me...319217ECDEDEB1
                  Last edited by 65RHDEER; December 30, 2018, 10:49 PM.
                  Tim
                  Melbourne Australia

Comment

It's not all about the HP the car will make with an increase in power, it's about a few different things.
                    Brakes, are they able to do their job with the extra weight of the power plant and is braking affected front to rear.
                    Body, is it structurally able to hold the weight of the power plant.
                    Have modifications/welding been done to a know standard.
                    Also if a car has a percentage increase in power, it's 20% in Victoria, it also needs to be signed off by an engineer.

So we can modify cars but we must use stuff from other cars that already make the grade in Australia and are used on other models on the road.

It is a pain though, say you wish to replace your V6 in your Commodore with a V8, easy use all the parts that are different from the V6 to the V8.
                    Then show what and how you've done it to a Automotive engineer, pay about $300 for an easy job for him to approve, he signs off that it's all done correctly.
                    Take it to the government, they change the registration to show the car is now a V8.

That Bedford should be looked at because of the amount of power increase but there are tons of cars here that would push that 20% rule.

If your any more interested with what it's like here, as a starting point!

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/-/me...319217ECDEDEB1
                    I'm not sure where Al is getting the negatives, but if somehow any of this sounds negative and he were to happen across it. it's not negative. if he thinks it is... it isn't.

Aussie regs are nuts for the very reason you state. For example, the 69 Corvette had a 'factory rated' wink, wink 427 with 450 hp. It was more like 600 hp, maybe a couple ponies more. That same design survived to the 80s where they had a 150 hp 305 in them. According to those rules, if you put a 200 hp 350 from 75 in that 81; you must spend money in engineering.... in a car that was designed for 600 hp. With that said, I had a 2006 GTO with the 6.0 LS motor in it, and but-for-not-as-numerous it could give the Mustang a run for its money in crowd parting because it would try to pull timing out for traction then give you the middle finger when the motor said "yeah, whatever." GM designed it for 350 max, then put 450 in it. Which leads me to my next issue - why do you trust engineers? These are the same brain trust that make you pull the cab off a Ford truck to pull a head bolt. Aussie regs say 20%, yet that presumes the engineers weren't designing after a liquid lunch or rating hp based upon insurance regs or, in the case of the much-vaunted Evo that has a claimed 400 hp but had to be dyno-optimized in about the same ratio as those 600 hp LS motors.... they have 200 hp people and really stupid gears... I digress
                    and back to the dyno, it's a tuning tool that tells you nothing about what the car can do - but if I was going to be niggling, Al went on and on about how the suspension was 'set up' for that LS motor but in the end of the day it wasn't.... starting with the spread towers (the issue he had with the motor mount). That problem will come back and it will do so first with cowl shake and then a broken windshield (perhaps even a bonus of enlongating the K member mount bolts to the point the motor drops out of the car)... even with 300 hp. Were it me, I'd copy what Heidts did to eliminate the strut towers, toss on some coil overs, then complete a cage in the cabin. Hardtops are cool, but no one drag races hardtops without a cage because they have no internal structure to resist twisting.

And with that said, I think it's silly that Al has to go to an engineer to approve what he's building.... experience continues to be the best bs defeating device out there..... not math, not solidworks, not a degree.... experience.
                    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; December 31, 2018, 12:40 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

And with that said, I think it's silly that Al has to go to an engineer to approve what he's building.... experience continues to be the best bs defeating device out there..... not math, not solidworks, not a degree.... experience.
                      I'm sure Al would have a good relationship when it comes to engineers, once they see who and what they are dealing with. At the same time engineers would have to work with some who try their luck. In the end is all about being able to blame someone else if it turns to shit.

Another example that will make you shake your head, trailers, anyone can build a trailer and as long as it has lights and the correct hitch it can be registered.
                      I'm at the moment changing my boat trailer and I can booger weld to my hearts content and that's fine
                      Tim
                      Melbourne Australia

Comment

I'm sure Al would have a good relationship when it comes to engineers, once they see who and what they are dealing with. At the same time engineers would have to work with some who try their luck. In the end is all about being able to blame someone else if it turns to shit.

Another example that will make you shake your head, trailers, anyone can build a trailer and as long as it has lights and the correct hitch it can be registered.
                        I'm at the moment changing my boat trailer and I can booger weld to my hearts content and that's fine
                        hey now..... let's leave trailers out of this

To me, it looks like added complexity for no reason other then more taxes.

Comment

• The 2nd half of MCM's movie

Tim
                          Melbourne Australia

Comment

• So it's pushing 110F here today, what to do, sit down and watch three hours of a Cresta doing Drag week of course!

A lemon squash or two chilling in the fridge!

I'm staring with this one just to set it up

Tim
                            Melbourne Australia

Comment

• Comment

• it's utterly unfair that I worked late so I cannot watch this without disturbing one-who-should-never-be-disturbed...

Comment

Working...
                                X