No announcement yet.

ECTA HAS A TRACK!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure what year your Mustang is there pdub (I'm a gm guy) but try that link. I also don't know if that bar will be legal for the ECTA or any other sanctioning body for that matter...

The new track is only 2.5hrs away, I need to try to at least spectate in April.
    GM G-bodies, because I can't afford a 69 Camaro.

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
      You guys were talking about before, Dan, maybe some others as well, a bolt-in roll cage for the Mustang. And during that same time period, there was a video posted that showed a Mustang, flipping nose over tail on a race track (road course), and it landed on the roof. All four of the supports for the roll cage punched through the floorboard of the car and the roof was smashed flat. That's not quite what I want to get into.
      There are ways then there are ways.. For a bolt in system, you need the downbars to stop on PLATE not body or welded to body.. 4X6" bases with same under the car.. We like to weld plate to the bottom then weld that to the floor in what we do.. You could be very safe with the load spreading plates bolted to the floor.. Not 3/8" bolts but 5/8-3/4" ones.. 3/4 is better.. Grade 8.
      I know what is strong and will hold.. But will it be legal for ECTA?
      Not knowing what Mustangs have for frame/sub frames.. Hard to say, I would like subframe connectors (altho some use the cage as a sub frame connector) then have the cage tie into it if it is possible Many ways to skin a cat and it likes none of them.. Rules.

Comment

400 miles from my place to Blytheville . 125 from my place to Wilmington , Ohio . Definitely going to limit how often I'm there . This is definitelybetter than no place .
        Last edited by Dan Barlow; October 25, 2017, 12:43 PM.
        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

kss, thanks for the link! I don't believe that will do the trick though, I've nearly got to believe that's the very thing in that video I was talking about that failed drastically at the worst possible moment, because it was clearly 4 poles that came through the floorboard in that crash when the car landed on its roof. Red's an 06, and from 05 through 09 they're all identical, unibody. There is no "frame" per se.

I've got the 2014 ECTA rule book, there's a graphic that shows a couple of examples of what is preferred.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000996.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	575.5 KB
ID:	1177819
          I guess it's time to admit that Red's a race car and replace the front seats while we're at it with Corbeau's or something. The back seat is just a place to throw stuff anyhow. But we still need to be able to drive it for hours back and forth and here and there, like the week-long Cars and Cones thing with all the travel involved. This is gonna take some engineering, something that's way out of my league. That cross-member, behind the seats, we've got that already, but it's just a mount for the 5-point shoulder harnesses.

I can't imagine an ECTA April event for us, that's already for C&C and hopefully Gear Head Inn as well.
          Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

It's 770 miles for me. I have never driven that far in one day (about 500 by my self 650 with others taking turns) if I am towing I know I would have to lay over, and probably should even if taking the couch on wheels.
            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
            1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
            ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
              It's 770 miles for me. I have never driven that far in one day (about 500 by my self 650 with others taking turns) if I am towing I know I would have to lay over, and probably should even if taking the couch on wheels.
              Russell, Dan and Dan, again, y'all have a place to stop right here. But if you all show up at the same time, somebody will be sleeping on the floor!

Comment

Pdubster AGAIN... the 4 poles that poked thru were likely pipe welded onto the floor (people DO do that kind of stuff, ya know
                Take a pic/screen shot or something for me..
                I was thinking 4"X6" plate but it looks like you are required to do 6"X6"
                In figure 1, top pic, I would go the extra step and add plates on the ends of the 4 pipes not showing plates.

Maybe Dan can explain to me what those 2 plateless pipe that go to the rear footwell are for..
                I would at least go to the tunnel and have the pipes meet on top of the tunnel and plate them there.

I did simular on my early derby cars except I went to the frame on each side.. Again no sanction body and for strength

Looks like you need 4 bolts per plate.. So 3/8 minimum or 1/2 at least!

Fig. 2 looks nice but lots of work, we use figs 3 and 4 all the time.. Too thin and far from the junction, they can and will bend

Lots of guys make street drivers out of caged cars.. If ECTA allows swing out or bolt on drivers door bars, that will make non track days more enjoyable.

Comment

I'm gonna want bottom plates about ten times as big as those shown in the rule book. It's a unibody car.

This is gonna cost something, I don't know how to weld or bend tubes. Either you know something or you pay something to somebody else..

EDIT: AMAZING....all just to haul ass and go as fast as we possibly can. I guess that's why we're all here. Amazing. It's amazing how much fun that is, going fast. Faster than most folks have ever been. And there's even faster than "fast." It continues all the way to the sound barrier.
                  Last edited by pdub; October 25, 2017, 12:21 AM.

Comment

... but that was before the blower.
                    Check your Rulebook ... there are additional safety requirements when the engine has a blower.

Comment

Pdub - Google Maximum Motorsports. I'm pretty sure they have a bolt-in cage (I know they did for my Fox body). Their stuff fits well and is carfully (see what I did there?) thought out. Pay attention to the rulebook instructions for unibody cars, which are different. IIRC, you use a bigger backing plate under the floor than the plate at the bottom of the tube specifically so that the stress points don't align and puncture the floor. Also, we may be able to come off the subframe and make an angle over to the base of the down tubes. SCTA (that's where most of our rules come from) have seen it all and have great guidelines. You know I'll help with the installation - we'll set up a time.

Dan
                      Last edited by DanStokes; October 25, 2017, 11:16 AM.

Comment

AWESOME!!!

don't know what you fellas are bitchin about 400m..700m.. I got you both beat.....1468m makes it a pretty sure bet that i am flying in.
                        Well I have stopped buying stuff for cars I don't own. Is that a step in the right or wrong direction?

Comment

Originally posted by rightpedal View Post
                          AWESOME!!!

don't know what you fellas are bitchin about 400m..700m.. I got you both beat.....1468m makes it a pretty sure bet that i am flying in.
                          It's easy Maxton was less than 100 miles I have been spoiled.
                          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                          ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post

Check your Rulebook ... there are additional safety requirements when the engine has a blower.
                            Great reminder Steve, and yep. Hmmmm.......now we're talking 3 cans of worms to go about 15 mph faster. Hmmmm....Hmmmmmmmm.... I knew there was a reason I retired Red at 139 mph but I had forgotten what it all was. hmmmm.

We definitely won't make the April event anyhow, that gives we Wees some time to mull this over..... Hmmmm. Hmmmm.....we could do a re-finance on Kenny the cat, that would buy one bolt for the project...... Hmmmmm....

Comment

I've thought my way through this one time before, but it's been a long while, or at least a lot of things ago.

Bluebelle. Hotrod tune. No stress, no worry, no capital outlay. And just plain laughing-fun-as-heck because that car should never be able to go that fast but it will.

June likely. September maybe, one of those two, or both. Unit won't go, we agree land speed is not at all a very good passive spectator sport for two solid days. And that's another thing, this time I don't have to get back home to go to work on Monday. Yes, win win grin grin.

Comment

June likely. September maybe, one of those two, or both.
                                Probably going to be better air in September, need a substitute crew chief/beer consumer?
                                "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Working...
                                X