X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BangSail?

The English are nuts.... this proves it, but it's really cool

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Even small wooden boats seem to take over people's lives to re-build...this is huge. At-least you could live in it during the process if you had to.

Comment

That's fascinating. Being independently wealthy is one thing, that guy obviously has an unlimited amount of time on his hands to pursue his passion somehow. And he sure knows a boat to undertake that project, amazing. I know bow from stern, but I have to calculate port and starboard for a couple seconds. Shorter word, longer word, port left, starboard right.
      Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Seems like an Artist-Type with a wealthy Patron somewhere in the background. Cool that he's documenting the experience, and cool for taking on such an endeavor.

Thanks for sharing SBG. You find the neatest time-killing material.
        Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

There's a couple things not detailed in that video.

1) he got the boat for better-then-free. He paid one british pound for the boat, then they paid to truck it from Oregon to Washington. Someone had raised money to save the boat, so that money went to moving the boat to Sequim, Washington and towards the repairs
          2) where the boat is - is loaned to him along with the shop tools.

he's well, well known in sailing and boat communities. He quit a job working on a mega-yacht to pursue this dream - I think it's safe to presume that he has several patrons who provide support along with a patreon account which helps too.

Also, most of the cost of the repair is labor - sailboats are not, of themselves, expensive to build. What got the share is his knowledge of how these boats go together - young, sure, but very skilled.
          Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; November 2, 2017, 03:04 PM.

Comment

You think that one's nuts?....

and the photo montage of its repair
            http://www.frayedknotarts.com/images...iousReborn.zip

here it is now
            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; November 2, 2017, 03:09 PM.

Comment

That's Russell Ferriday the ship's name is Victorious (aptly)

Comment

"The English are nuts"......

Comment

Originally posted by malc View Post
                  "The English are nuts"......
                  they have bad dental hygiene as well along with poor cam selection techniques.... why do you ask?

but to the point, do you think either of those boat selections make sense?

Comment

Do you think some rusty hulks restored make sense?

Cool boats. Like them, do NOT WANT them..
                    Can respect the craftsmanship..

Comment

I think I saw this on sv seeker facebook.

strong work ethic. I bet that boat used the canal when it was young.

"this bit makes a fair curve." nice choice of words.. I'll remember that.

I was expecting a die grinder sooner, glad to see it. I am addicted to mine.

I am guessing the lead has to go by modern rules?
                      Previously boxer3main
                      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

They're putting lead in SV Seeker - lead is still okay. I think he's removing the lead to fix the board on the top of the lead - breathtaking amount of work

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                          They're putting lead in SV Seeker - lead is still okay. I think he's removing the lead to fix the board on the top of the lead - breathtaking amount of work
                          I guess it is safe in the biggest bath tub in the world.

I babble among the sv seeker posts sometimes. Always following.
                          I think my lobsterman story got around somehow.. I ended up finding builders, hardly searching.
                          Maine might be a keyword too.. gets people together, boating.

I'd like to visit the sv seeker boat some day. I was actually thinking of the big boy 4014 relaunch and just winging it like the hobo..make several destinations.
                          Previously boxer3main

Comment

new episode.
                            big sail trip.
                            I think he said adix is 210 feet...did not seem it in some of the shots.
                            big boat anyway.

Previously boxer3main

Comment

big boat and there is a full 'no way' I'd get on top of that mast while under way....

Comment

Working...
                              X