• Huge step complete...
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

• casting floors... good primer on casting

Comment

• Primer... Sure! Except for the part where just the crucible costs more than I want to spend on another hobby, much less the bronze! The thumbnail doesn't do the size of the crucible justice. That's a little bigger than you might find in your average hobby shop.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cupula.png
Views:	135
Size:	515.5 KB
ID:	1273316
          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Beagle View Post
            Primer... Sure! Except for the part where just the crucible costs more than I want to spend on another hobby, much less the bronze! The thumbnail doesn't do the size of the crucible justice. That's a little bigger than you might find in your average hobby shop.

Click image for larger version  Name:	cupula.png Views:	0 Size:	515.5 KB ID:	1273316
            I have one in my average size hobby shop.... just sayin' :D (hobby size, not that size). And it is a primer, perhaps not on the size, but to learn those steps took far more then a 30 minute video... that has the highlights, and even short enough for most to pay attention to all of it.
            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; June 29, 2020, 09:49 PM.

Comment

• This latest installment was one of my favorites. We all spend lots of time building overly detailed parts that nobody will ever see. but this effort for hidden brackets is at another level.

Comment

• I would have hit "good enough" so long ago.... polishing the floors... yeah, no...

Comment

Comment

• Got to say Leo is reliable

Tim
                    Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

• How to put a hole in your boat...

Tim
                      Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

• looks like Leo is walking the plank... and fastening it as well

Comment

Comment

• Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                            Primer... Sure! Except for the part where just the crucible costs more than I want to spend on another hobby, much less the bronze! The thumbnail doesn't do the size of the crucible justice. That's a little bigger than you might find in your average hobby shop.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cupula.png
Views:	135
Size:	515.5 KB
ID:	1273316

you probably don't need one that big either though... I've been working towards using my 3d printer to make molds for metal casting using my home made furnace. if I ever get around to casting my own parts like I want to, I'll make a thread about it.

For reference, here's a crucible capable of doing about 14 pounds of aluminum for about $112.

Buy ProCast™ No 14 - 16 Kg Clay Graphite Foundry Crucible online from PMC Supplies. See our other products.

"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

1985 Pontiac Fiero, 3.5 V6 turbo, 5 speed
                            1988 Suburban, 350 TBI 700r4, 4x4
                            2006 2500 HD 6.0 4x4

Comment

• I built a crucible and used it maybe twice... I really should sell it because I don't ever see needing it.

Comment

• I bought an A6 graphite crucible before double your spending pleasure budget killing covid-19 showed up. It wasn't a lot, like 25 bucks if I remember, 8kg capacity. It'll fit in a 20 gallon size furnace I haven't built yet but have over 95 percent of the junk to make. I'm thinking water glass (crystal cat litter + drain cleaner) and perlite for a liner. Acetylene gauge for a propane tank / vacuum cleaner forced air furnace and see if I can make an environmental disaster with molten cast iron. Should be fun to watch anyway, post yours up!!

The crucible in that video is most decidedly more than 8kg, and a pile more than 25 bucks!! I really don't want to think about the cost of the bronze. lol.
                                Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Working...
                                X