Today Leo draws...

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    Today we learn why he's called "no feet Pete"

Leave a comment:

• ejs262
    replied
    My crappy furnace with the lid off... I plan to build a new one, using ceramic wool insulation and a thinner refractory lining. the crucible is good for about 16 pounds of aluminum, the overall diameter of the furnace is about 30"

Here's a shot of the burner burning, it's made of iron pipe fittings, a mig contact tip, and a few brass fittings. it can make some intense heat.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    my casting setup

Leave a comment:

• Beagle
    replied
    I bought an A6 graphite crucible before double your spending pleasure budget killing covid-19 showed up. It wasn't a lot, like 25 bucks if I remember, 8kg capacity. It'll fit in a 20 gallon size furnace I haven't built yet but have over 95 percent of the junk to make. I'm thinking water glass (crystal cat litter + drain cleaner) and perlite for a liner. Acetylene gauge for a propane tank / vacuum cleaner forced air furnace and see if I can make an environmental disaster with molten cast iron. Should be fun to watch anyway, post yours up!!

The crucible in that video is most decidedly more than 8kg, and a pile more than 25 bucks!! I really don't want to think about the cost of the bronze. lol.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    I built a crucible and used it maybe twice... I really should sell it because I don't ever see needing it.

Leave a comment:

• ejs262
    replied
    Originally posted by Beagle View Post
    Primer... Sure! Except for the part where just the crucible costs more than I want to spend on another hobby, much less the bronze! The thumbnail doesn't do the size of the crucible justice. That's a little bigger than you might find in your average hobby shop.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cupula.png
Views:	135
Size:	515.5 KB
ID:	1273316

you probably don't need one that big either though... I've been working towards using my 3d printer to make molds for metal casting using my home made furnace. if I ever get around to casting my own parts like I want to, I'll make a thread about it.

For reference, here's a crucible capable of doing about 14 pounds of aluminum for about $112.

Buy ProCast™ No 14 - 16 Kg Clay Graphite Foundry Crucible online from PMC Supplies. See our other products.

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    looks like Leo is walking the plank... and fastening it as well

Leave a comment:

• 65RHDEER
    replied
    How to put a hole in your boat...

Leave a comment:

• 65RHDEER
    replied
    Got to say Leo is reliable

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SuperBuickGuy
    replied
    I would have hit "good enough" so long ago.... polishing the floors... yeah, no...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X