Epic road trip - through Mexico

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epic road trip - through Mexico

Hey guys, it's been a while since I posted here. Didn't wanna put this on Facebook, but I thought some of you fellow car junkies might understand. This January I have an opportunity to do something which I feel is quite an opportunity - a group of guys will be driving a small caravan of trucks and buses from here in Pennsylvania to Belize. These trucks and buses will be loaded with all kinds of supplies which are to be distributed to people in need - things like clothing & blankets, building supplies, vehicles, school desks, non-perishable food items... just about anything, really. The plan is to drive to Brownsville TX non stop, then drive during day light hours only in Mexico for obvious reasons. The catch is that the trucks and buses are all donated - read, "junk". They do this every year, and from what I hear the biggest challenge of the trip is convincing the old junkers to keep running. There are a ton of stories from other years where a truck broke down, replacement parts were not even remotely available, and somehow they got it fixed and on down the road in a way that can only be described as miraculous. I'm thinking this will be a Class 8 version of Roadkill. I'm pumped.
    The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Cool, help other countries people, would not want to do that here.. good luck.. Tell the cartel's hi..

Comment

I'm pretty sure you will find that the further south of the border you get, the more friendly and helpful the people are.
      Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
      HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

I wish you well . I wouldn't want to get within 30 miles of the boarder of Mexico. I don't want to be anywhere near the drug lords .
        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Our church had a couple trips into mexico before it got dangerous to go south of the boarder . We went to building for a church on the baja peninsula. I think we realized before a trip to Ukrainia that it would be cheaper to send them money and pay thier counties laborers to do the work .
          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

good luck and God speed.
            Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
              Our church had a couple trips into mexico before it got dangerous to go south of the boarder . We went to building for a church on the baja peninsula. I think we realized before a trip to Ukrainia that it would be cheaper to send them money and pay thier counties laborers to do the work .
              Most people in those countries see American money, but just like visiting your mom - you can send her money, but a personal visit means more. Kenya, Mexico, Bolivia what was Yugoslavia - all of them said the same thing, the personal bit working side by side with them means far more then just money.

Not calling you out, though, I was educated to that viewpoint by someone in Kenya.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
                I wish you well . I wouldn't want to get within 30 miles of the boarder of Mexico. I don't want to be anywhere near the drug lords .
                I was scared of south texas before I got there, but quickly learned... gangs don't just kill anybody.

..but there is crazy. That is proving to be anywhere now isn't it.

I still think of an air force friend that yelled my name as "Barrio!" in a killeen mall.
                like a dummy I just waved back, with a strangely open path as if a badass cowboy walking into a small town.

I'd like to visit some day, south of the border.
                Previously boxer3main
                the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Know 2 different sets of "parents" of kids that went to school with mine that moved to Mexico.. One bought a house (how?) the other lived in a motorhome. During a day trip they came home to the motorhome stripped to the shell.. So they also bought a home, drove the MH back to Oregon. I see it sitting at the farm, kid told me they took the toilet, tanks, kitchen sink and all their possesions.
                  So..driving day or night makes no difference?

Comment

Oh yeah. Good luck and come back safe and tell us all about it!

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

Most people in those countries see American money, but just like visiting your mom - you can send her money, but a personal visit means more. Kenya, Mexico, Bolivia what was Yugoslavia - all of them said the same thing, the personal bit working side by side with them means far more then just money.

Not calling you out, though, I was educated to that viewpoint by someone in Kenya.
                      No problem , didn't take it that way . It also can do alot for the church sending the group and the group itself . Just all these things should be looked at . I went on one to Porto Rico with 5 other adults and about 20 kids .
                      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

it really is life changing - if you ever want to go to Bolivia or Kenya - I know people

Comment

Sounds like a class A adventure any way it goes. Take it from someone who has worked in some of the worst neighborhoods in California, don't ever look like a tourist or a victim because you will end up a victim. Always keep an eye on your surroundings. Being unarmed in South Central driving a brand new Escalade would make any person a target, but I can tell you know wants to confront or rob someone looks like he is pissed off and ready to punch a stranger. The worst gang banger will cross the street to avoid someone who is having an argument with street light. Crazy people never get robbed.

Driving total pieces of crap trucks sounds like a smart idea. I wouldn't want anything remotely looking new or expensive. Those would be a target day one. It might be prudent to contact the US Embassy in Mexico City for travel tips, as in where to stay the hell away from because of a current cartel war going on.

Take care and have a blast. This will be a life time memory for sure. And, good on you for helping those in need.
                          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Please keep a thread on this trip including preparations & pics. Sound like a real adventure. I wish I didn't have to work for the man, would love to take up such an opportunity
                            nom de guerre - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

Only post after you get back .People watch for stuff like that .
                              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Working...
                              X