On Beyond Time-Serts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On Beyond Time-Serts

With at least 1 set of Time-Serts in place (see the Time-Serts post) we were able to install a head on the Subaru as we wait for the rest of the Serts, which should have arrived about 20 minutes ago (they didn't). So we did lots of block deck cleaning using a dead flat sanding block I made with the jointer (it can be REALLY handy to have woodworking stuff) and 180 grit stick-on roll sandpaper. Worked GREAT! I'll get my bro to send me his pics of the operation and post them.

Then it was on to super-cleaning and installing the head with all it's Serts w/new head bolts as recommended. The torque sequence is a bit odd but we followed the gasket manufacturer's direction EXACTLY and have the 1 head on and tight. Tomorrow we'll check the rocker shaft bolt torques and set the valve lash once the timing belt is back in place.

EDIT: I should mention that the head bolts went in perfectly with no binding or misalignment at all, a sign that the Time -Sert alignment system does exactly what it needs to do. I'm falling in love with this system. In the case of the Subaru engine I think I'd install them even if the OEM threads seemed OK - these engines are famous for leaking head gaskets and I'll bet that the threads probably pull a bit resulting in these leaks.

Pic: Proof that I actually DO operate a wrench from time to time. Full disclosure: This shot was staged for the camera. We got our required 45* with Dave holding the Speed Square parallel to the breaker bar handle and me pulling the bolt to match the 45* side of the square. However, the square holder was needed to snap the pic so we had to pretend. For the other head I may blow the Big Bux and pop for an actual torque angle gage, $13 at Advance.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1758.jpg Views:	1 Size:	297.0 KB ID:	1182425
    Dan
    Last edited by DanStokes; December 9, 2017, 06:51 PM.
Working...
X