I have a question for you guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a question for you guys

I'm asking this with a considerable amount of humility, because I know what the idea would entail. While embroiled in a debate about putting a chevy in freaking everything blah blah blah, someone commented I should have a website. I've thought about videos, but never really thought there'd be much interest in them since I am mainly Pontiac and entirely immersed in the fuel thing.

So I ask you guys, do you think if I made videos showing what I am doing with the cars I am building, providing how tos, sharing the tricks I have picked up over the years, and then shot the fun stuff I do with them all summer, while going into some depth on the fuel thing, would it be worthwhile to other people? I know I'd need some help with it, particularly with video editing and if I did a website, help with that. Just too much for me to do with everything else I have going on. I'd really enjoy sharing my knowledge and experience with people, but I just don't know about the idea. I mean In know stuff, but I sure as hell don't know everything and I am pretty sure most people can do what I do. If I monetize it, that can mess with my other things, and the last thing I want is a job I have to produce regularly for.

These Pontiac guys are telling me to do it, and I have all the equipment needed to shoot videos, but I have lots of reservations. Its something I haven't really even done more than considered. I kinda wish Dulcich and Freiburger were still on here so I could get their take on doing a grass roots kinda thing like this. I read about the GMG -HRM thing, so I know there is an audience, but I'm a car guy not a validation and attention junky so to speak, since the only ones of you who even know what I look like have actually met me.

Ideas, comments, sugestions?

Personally-I would love to see you do what you do with the Pontiac stuff.
    HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
    DW- 12,16,17
    "Stay thirsty my friends"
    The worlds most interesting man

Comment

I love the technical of cars..
      I'd watch..understanding would be difficult
      Early Roadkills are boring as hell for me as the closed captioning ( cc) is really bad! The newer ones are better.
      My kid watches them then tells me which ones are captioned worth watching..
      Principle is the same for all motors with ideas working better on some brands than others.

Comment

Very interested in your fuel system research/work.....also a big time tin Indian fan as well!
        Patrick & Tammy
        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

shoot video with a phone or point and shoot camera, edit it with something simple like Windows Movie Maker, and put it on youtube. Don't worry too much about production quality...instead, worry about filling it with useful information.

I expect it won't make money, will take too much time, and only a few folks will really get useful info from it.

look at what gets views on my channel...it makes little sense to me

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

The camera I have for astrophotography (taking pictures of the stars with my lightless sky) does very good video. I don't use it for most of my car pics because its overkill, but it does HD no problem. Part of it is I don't want to take the time to do it if I get 3 people watching, because I can just post the stuff to Facebook or here. Simple and easy. If its something I should do and it would be useful, then I can justify it. Do I really have enough information to be useful? I know I can be entertaining, if you have met me you know I am kinda nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumpin455 View Post
              The camera I have for astrophotography (taking pictures of the stars with my lightless sky) does very good video. I don't use it for most of my car pics because its overkill, but it does HD no problem. Part of it is I don't want to take the time to do it if I get 3 people watching, because I can just post the stuff to Facebook or here. Simple and easy. If its something I should do and it would be useful, then I can justify it. Do I really have enough information to be useful? I know I can be entertaining, if you have met me you know I am kinda nuts.
              Me 2,3,and etc....
              Patrick & Tammy
              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Go for it!!
                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

thump i check your profile everytime i get on bs because i want to learn something from you. i cant learn the stuff you have taught me in a classroom these days. I bought my 1971 lemans with the intention of restoring this car and learning how to work on my stuff. i scoped the internet for information to get me familiar with the idea of building an engine for this thing. EVERY POST i found was written by you. I know you have 2 or 3 other profiles on other sites because of (thumpin455) being the posters name of every google search i did for building a 400.
                  It is silly but you are responsible for influencing me to build an e85 400 stroker with forged internals. I wanted fast but a p350 with boltons wont be enough so i figured id go balls out with it. Im on year 2 of building the engine but its coming along slowly but surely.

Theres other stuff like brakes, suspension, etc that you have helped me fix or modify just on this website basically, you know so much more than you think you do.

you should make videos i would watch them. I would not have done anything to that car without your help. As it sits today the whole front end has been rebuilt, engine has been tuned and ignition has been upgraded to HEI, replaced the manifold gaskets, disc brake swap and heater core swap. point is.......you have contributed to all of that in the form of advice before i attempted the job. im 23, my generation is taught to buy a new car when issues arise on the daily driver so working on stuff is not an option for most people my age. simple stuff for anyone who has mechanical experience but most people these days dont have a clue.

Im not good for much else than giving you advice from the perspective as a noob but i think you should do something like a website/ videos/ tutorials for the PONTIAC. you need to share your pontiac experiences with the world and the next generation so that we can do something constructive with our smart phones. I wish you were closer because i would bug you all the time to include me in a project or two. If nothing else keep posting on the BS forum because i read a lot of your stuff.

my 2 cents..........

Comment

There you go....
                    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

We are still running your carb when we can find E-85...

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                        We are still running your carb when we can find E-85...
                        I have to get barrels of E85 until I get my production back up and running. Last year I took the truck to Chicago for a concert with my girl, and on the way back I filled two barrels in the back of my truck. Its fun unloading them by yourself with only an engine hoist. So I feel ya, and thats why the 65 GTO is on pump gas for now.

Been mulling it over today, asked the girl, she said emphatically "DO IT!" and if most of the info out there comes from me already, might as well start to put it together into something coherent. With the glowing comment from PP perhaps it should be done before my brain turns to mush and I forget everything.

What the hell should I call this enterprise?

Comment

For every specialty the are a surprising number of viewers interested. I don't know that there is any really who specializes in either Poncho power or alcohol fueled.

Here's a podcast interviewing a couple who started a youtube channel just a year or two ago that's turned out to be pretty successful. Good tips, some second hand from Frieberger.

http://<iframe width="320" height="30" src="http://www.themusclecarplace.com/?powerpress_embed=16846-podcast&amp;powerpress_player=mediaelement-audio" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Comment

Do it Todd. You do some amazing stuff. Get a YouTube channel, and monetize.
                            YouTube ain't gonna pay out a boat load of money unless your videos get tons of hits.
                            My buddy makes about $100 every few months off his video so it won't mess things up financially.

Comment

I'd love to see you do whatever the heck you want to do. I have NO DOUBT that you can bring light to world of darkness as regards Pontiac engines and GM cars of "a certain age" (my favorite age).

As far as a name.... Hummmmm..... IndiansonFireWater.com? I have a step-Grand daughter who is native American so I can ask her if that's offensive as I really don't know.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X