The Thing(s) About Being Retired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Thing(s) About Being Retired

I'm not bragging, but after 41 years doing the same thing over and over I've got some things I'm realizing.

1. I don't care what day of the week it is. It doesn't matter. And I actually lose track of what day of the week it is.

2. We could be doing a lot more than we do, but we don't have to.

3. Those folks at work, I think about them, sometimes, but it's sure fun to realize I'm not there anymore. Not ever.

4. There's a few things out in the garage I could attend to, but I'll do that tomorrow. Or someday.

There's a whole lot more things for the list, but making a list is a whole lot of work, so I won't do it. Because I don't have to.
    Last edited by pdub; February 20, 2018, 01:05 AM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Looking forward to that Peewee, but I have to say the prospect of doing this is nerve racking as heck. Although I know I pretty much have to it's still a scary thought. But I'll look to you and Big Dave for guidance!
    Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
    If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Patrick & Tammy
      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by corvettedad View Post
        But I'll look to you and Big Dave for guidance! :
        I'm always available Perry!

In truth, it could not have happened any better for me. I was mulling it over, another year.....and then I got called out front and was told in no uncertain terms, with legal paperwork to go with it, "You're DONE."

Uhhhhhhhh ........ okay!!!!!!

WOW. Just plain "wow."

Comment

Totally agree, nice to do what and when it’s gonna get done!

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
            1. I don't care what day of the week it is. It doesn't matter. And I actually lose track of what day of the week it is.
            I just tell everybody; now that I'm retired, every day is Saturday ... they all hate me.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post

I just tell everybody; now that I'm retired, every day is Saturday ... they all hate me.
              Never thought about using your line, love it !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

When I hear the whistle song on Andy Griffith I think of retirement. In L.A. the Fox morning news was very popular, mainly for the female members of the staff. Would always try to catch a few minutes of it getting ready for work. If I was OUT of work, sick or on vacation the news would end and toot tweet tweet Andy Griffith would come on. No work today! Click image for larger version

Name:	andy-griffith-show-ftrjpg_1lab3nmoszdpo119ei87onz70p-1.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	1190909

Gonna get any fishin' in PeeWee?
                Attached Files
                My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Not to mention being up at all hours of the night on the computer....... Click image for larger version

Name:	Wee.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	5.1 KB
ID:	1190912
                  Attached Files
                  My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

That's right Rock! Just whatever, whenever.

Andy Griffith, whatever. No rules.

Fishin? When we had the place on the lake in SC we fished for the first two years, right there in the back yard. We finally fished until we were tired of it, afraid we might catch one.

The trip back there last week, that poor house we had has not been very well cared for. The feel on the lake is just not the same, having been away for 10 years. Unit loved that place out loud but now she says she wouoldn't want to live there again.

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

I'm always available Perry!

In truth, it could not have happened any better for me. I was mulling it over, another year.....and then I got called out front and was told in no uncertain terms, with legal paperwork to go with it, "You're DONE."

Uhhhhhhhh ........ okay!!!!!!

WOW. Just plain "wow."
                      That sounds familiar; when I was first eligible for retirement the flightline was reeling from a severe shortage of experienced lead crew chiefs. There was a freeze put on retirements after nine-eleven. When it was lifted in 2004-5 you didn't want to be between the gate & anyone now eligible to retire. A few months later, when I was eligible, the Colonel invited me into his office, shut the door, & asked me if I would consider staying for another six months until the new guys could get some more experience. I said that I could live with that. Six months later, ditto. Another six months, another ditto. And then, after eighteen months of it, I was again called into the Colonels office but this time he just told me "Have a good retirement". No thanks for the extra year & a half, no nothing. But I am doing my best to follow his last order. Official or not.

...when you got a fast car, you think you've got everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpvfmSL6WkM

Comment

Originally posted by 67 Malibu View Post

But I am doing my best to follow his last order. Official or not.
                        I was forced to train my relief. My position was not eliminated, but "I" was eliminated. As soon as I could, I left like I was driving a stolen car.

The hard part of it, I was the Training Coordinator. I was the one who did the orientation for all of the new employees. A whole week of it. I was the one who congratulated all of the new hires, "Welcome to your new career." 220 people got gone, including me. The last 220 people who were hired. So I was lying to them the whole time, in person, during the orientation week.

No, I don't miss it at all.

Comment

Gambling. That's one of the mortal sins that mothers ask their daughters about - "Does he drink? Does he have a job? Does he gamble?"

Oh my god, does he race cars?!?!?!?!??!??

I gambled when I was 20-something. Back then I would bet you a hundred dollars on what day of the week it would be tomorrow, and Id' probably lose.

Poker machines. I put rolls of quarters in those things, and thinking, WHAT? That money's gone, right there inside that dang machine.

It's amazing, how can a "problem" surface and then go away? I'm not at all interested in gambling anymore.

The lottery. Every time I go into a convenience store these days, there's some guy at the counter buying lottery tickets, those scratch off ones. I mean, laying lots of the cash on the counter for 2 of these and 4 of those. Damn it Nancy, are you serious?

I wouldn't bet on how fast Bluebelle will go in Arkansas. I wouldn't even bet on us even making it there, the custom tune may be too lean and lock the motor up somewhere between here and Nashville. I wouldn't bet on SHIT. Not any more. Never again. Don't call me if you want to "bet." I won't do it.

Just sayin.

Comment

pdub I've been retired almost 2 1/2 yrs now haven't looked back once. I tell folks that any day is Saturday for me, like you I lose track of days as well.........
                            Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
                            The older I get The Faster I was!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dave View Post
                              ... I tell folks that any day is Saturday for me ...
                              Yeah - so for me that means I have chores to do everyday!

Comment

Working...
                              X