No announcement yet.

The Thing(s) About Being Retired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I retired from one job...for 20 days...then started another...realizing sometime in my mid 30's that I was a financially irresponsible for the larger portion of my life I knew full well I needed to go to work again.
    Retired 1 year and 35 days and and working a civilian job for a bit over a year there are some things I noticed.

I don't have to wear a f-king hat every time I go outside
    There is no threat of jail or some archaic punishment if I tell my boss to f-k off, just unemployment. It may not seem like much but it is an amazing feeling
    Waking up in the morning and trying to find something to wear is kind of a pain in the ass
    I am not filled with disdain and rage anymore. I don't look at coworkers and feel like pulling their faces off and feeding them to my dogs as a snack.
    If I decide I don't want to work here anymore, I can find another job and quit.
    Spending money on work clothes sucks.
    I work with the military and am surrounded by GI's, It feels comfortable and familiar but I do not have to do any of the military bullshit they have to do.
    I don't care what day it is until Friday.
    I don't care what month it is.

While I can't relate to being totally retired...being a civilian and getting $2K monthly check for doing nothing is pretty sweet.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

85 day's
      Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
      If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

But who's counting (plus how many hours and minutes - we can ignore the seconds).

Dan

Comment

There is a downside to being retired. People will ignore you and depreciate what you do by saying he's just an old guy. THEN you just need to find ways to use it to defend your actions and get away with stuff.
          My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

You say.... "I may be a has been, but you might still be a never was."
            My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Never have that issue, Rock. Sorry if you do.

Dan

Comment

being an "old guy" has its bennies - when I don't do what I was suppose to do or what someone else wanted - I just tell them I am old and look at them with a dazed gaze!

Comment

I've been known to play the "Old" card - or the "Cancer" card or the "Bad Heart" card or the....... Whatever works in the situation. Actually, I'm in pretty good shape for the shape I'm in.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by FREDMAXX View Post
                    Okay, you retirees.............I've been biting my tongue, but I can't continue to do so any longer. I have 46 more working days (but who's counting right?). I started as a car-hop in a Mom & Pop hamburger place in Mineral Wells, TX (Fort Wolters) 46 years ago. Worked in Piggly Wiggly in high school and then off to the Marines right after. A few years in the oil field when it was cooking and then on to a job in Aerospace ever since 1983. Feels good to know I have paid my dues and it's now time to do WHAT I WANT TO DO. No more alarms, no more fighting traffic and no more year end reviews. I am finalizing plans on my soon to be built 2400 sq.ft. "shop" and have paid my fees for Long Hauler in the Hot Rod Power Tour this year. Numero uno on my bucket list. Thanks for all the encouragement from all the "old" guys and I can't wait to join ranks with you. Thanks for listening..............
                    Congratulations on your soon to be retirement. It will be very easy to just sit around an do nothing. My advice is to not get caught it that trap. Keep active and you'll do much better. Power Tour is a great way to jump into retirement.

Comment

Originally posted by corvettedad View Post
                      85 day's
                      Short timer...

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post

Short timer...
                        Hot Rod Power/Retirement Tour!
                        Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
                        If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Originally posted by corvettedad View Post

Hot Rod Power/Retirement Tour!
                          Very true statement one must live today as tomorrow may not come.

Comment

Originally posted by stroker al View Post

Very true statement one must live today as tomorrow may not come.
                            Tomorrow never comes as it is always tomorrow...

Comment

Today is tomorrow's yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by malc View Post
                                Today is tomorrow's yesterday.
                                Dang, that's DEEP! Now I gotta figure out what that means for me in my life (isn't that what we were supposed to say in 1970?).

Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X