PSA - Pay Attention to the Clothes Dryer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSA - Pay Attention to the Clothes Dryer

Sue Unit said that batch of clothes was too hot to touch.

DAYUM - the heating element on the dryer is stuck wide open on high. It's old, we've been a few rounds with it. The exhaust pipe is perfectly clear. That thing nearly burned down the house. It sure could have.

It's out by the street. We'll shop for another one tomorrow.

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

You had better be taking that fine lady out ! She just saved your bacon again! Tammy informs me of such things also... last time was the vacuum...enough dog hair around the beater bearing to melt plastic from friction!
    Patrick & Tammy
    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

The new dryer arrived today, and the dryer wars have commenced. The delivery guy who set the thing up told us, TWICE, "you have 48 hours in which to return this for a replacement. After that, it gets a lot more complicated". He made a point of telling us that twice, so of course, testing started today. This could also be a man vs woman post....I read the manual, I put all the settings as I THOUGHT the manual suggested, all the while ignoring Pdub telling me "Just put in on High, and timed dry". After TWO tries on my settings of choice I checked the manual again, oops, read it wrong the first time. Third time is a charm, and the jeans finally dried.
      That was load one....things getting tense. Load 2, teeshirts and sweats which I would usually dry on medium, ran it, still not dry. Dang. FINALLY, set the dryer on high, timed setting. Pdub smiled. Let's just see. Maybe there is a reason is doesn't follow directions!

Comment

Don't feel bad, Sue. My dryer only seems to work at those same settings.
        Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
          Don't feel bad, Sue. My dryer only seems to work at those same settings.
          Stude, you gonna be able to make it the Arkansas event in June? I think that's the only time I'll be there this year. Sue doesn't want to go to that one, she gets bored. I'd love to meet ya in person finally, we can swig a couple bottles of water at the track. What-say? Or next time or next year or something.

Comment

We were messing around in the kitchen cleaning up after dinner this afternoon, Sue was talking about how maybe modern dryers just don't work as well as old dryers. She said, remember when you posted that thread about when we got the all of our toilets replaced? And you posted that photo of the plumber guys sitting on top of the toilets out by the street?

I said, yeah. And she said do you remember how everybody said people would kill for those old toilets, that the new ones don't work as well?

I said no, I don't remember that part. But then I said did you see that post by fatguyzinc, about what his wife said about NASCAR?

She said no. I told her the story and she laughed. About an hour later, she hollered at me from the other room, "You're gonna PAY for this!!!!"

I said pay for what? She said that story. I said what story. She said the fatguyzinc story about the different-colored M&Ms swirling around in the toilet. She said every time she closes her eyes now, she sees those M&Ms swirling in the toilet. HAHAHAHAHHH!!!!!!!!!!
            Last edited by pdub; February 27, 2018, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Stude, you gonna be able to make it the Arkansas event in June? I think that's the only time I'll be there this year. Sue doesn't want to go to that one, she gets bored. I'd love to meet ya in person finally, we can swig a couple bottles of water at the track. What-say? Or next time or next year or something.
              I would like to make the June event, P - and bring a Stude club friend who usually works the salt during Speedweek. Maybe we could drive down for one day. Can't make the April meet - we both have a Studebaker event in Tulsa the same weekend. Of course - with 2 parents in their 80's - my plans sometimes get put on hold.

Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post

I would like to make the June event, P - and bring a Stude club friend who usually works the salt during Speedweek. Maybe we could drive down for one day. Can't make the April meet - we both have a Studebaker event in Tulsa the same weekend. Of course - with 2 parents in their 80's - my plans sometimes get put on hold.
                Sounds like June's a match perhaps. Let's make it happen if you can. I'll be there in June hell or die - Plan A.

Comment

The price of electrickally is so high here we could'nt run a dryer......
                  we do it old school.....hang ' em out high.

Comment

and here I thought this was a post about how to treat one's wife.
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                      and here I thought this was a post about how to treat one's wife.
                      Whattabout me......the dishwasher

Comment

Originally posted by malc View Post
                        The price of electrickally is so high here we could'nt run a dryer......
                        we do it old school.....hang ' em out high.
                        you guys got a beautiful wind from the west/sw anyway. america simulates it with fragrance.
                        Previously boxer3main
                        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry Donovan View Post

you guys got a beautiful wind from the west/sw anyway. america simulates it with fragrance.
                          Yup......due to all the hot air.....they hangs horizontally....

Comment

Have I got one for you! Since moving in to our house in December 2016 the dryer hasn't worked very well, which I attributed to a plugged vent. It's a new dryer and would regularly shut itself down, indicating a plugged vent. Then a month ago I finally said I'm doing something about the vent (because my wife said I had better! lol), except I cannot find where it vents too... Put a shop vac blowing into the hole, nothing outside the house. Go in the crawl space, find the vent, where it goes to the side of the house, go outside, nothing... So I take a long screw driver and jam it through the wall from the crawl space.

Long screwdriver poking through wall next to the vent.

Huh.....

Yeah, that looks like vent ducting.

A happy ending. The dryer works fantastically and even sounds happier! Imagine that!

Our house was built in 2006, probably stuccoed on a Friday.... Insulation, chicken wire, stucco, everything right over the vent. It's amazing that A) No one in 12 years did anything about having a crappy dryer and B) The place didn't burn down.

Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Oh for the love of Mike. And I bet anything that home had to have an occupancy “inspection” by the local who-zit before being occupied. Simply wonderful.

Glad you found it and it was a relatively simple fix.

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Working...
                              X