Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

or a kid with suspenders on a tricycle
    Hmmmm, "suspenders" means different things in different countries.......

I guess it depends on the neighbourhood then?
    Nothing says boudoir glamour like suspenders from Figleaves. Create a sensual silhouette in our hypnotic and seductive suspenders collection.
    Last edited by Red_Kitty; February 12, 2019, 07:14 PM.

Comment

You know, Peewee in that is not a mental image I wanted.
      I'm probably wrong

Comment

just my opinion--and you know what they say about that-- but anything that
        runs 13's or faster in the 1/4, EXACTLY as you daily drive it--i mean full exhaust,
        30psi in the tires, pump gas, no slicks or DOT radials, etc--thats pretty dang fast.

Comment

Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post
          just my opinion--and you know what they say about that-- but anything that
          runs 13's or faster in the 1/4, EXACTLY as you daily drive it--i mean full exhaust,
          30psi in the tires, pump gas, no slicks or DOT radials, etc--thats pretty dang fast.
          I don't even know what 13's or whatever equates to. But we'll find out in the springtime, Perry and I will grudge race, somewhere in Georgia I think. That's gonna be huge fun.

All I DO know is that when you mash the gas down and hold it for a whole mile, wishing it would go faster .... I took a dumpy road course car to the Mile, so let's see what it will do in a quarter. Isn't that what fun is? With the shorter rear gear I can't get the rear wheels to plant in the first two gears, all they want to do is spin. And I don't even want to "win," we're just going to have fun. And we will.
          Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Stop me if you've heard this before... oh wait, you can't because it's already posted if you're reading it

A guy was walking out to his brand new red Mustang, and, as they are wont to do, admiring his car

A kid was sitting near the Mustang and said "hey mister, nice car, is it fast?"

Guy says "it sure is" and got into his car then took off.

The Guy thinks "well, since the kid asked, I'll show him how fast" and he took off rapidly.

Problem was, the kid went flying by him pedalling his tricycle furiously.

The Guy thinks, "well, that's amazing, but there is no way this kid is going to do 150".... so he accelerates up to 150 mph.

And the kid flies past him, still pedaling even faster.

The Guy doesn't get it it, so he pulls over.... kid goes skidding by then stops.

The Guy says "what's up kid, how can you pedal so fast?"

kids says "It wasn't me, mister, my suspenders were caught in your door."

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

I don't even know what 13's or whatever equates to. But we'll find out in the springtime, Perry and I will grudge race, somewhere in Georgia I think. That's gonna be huge fun.

All I DO know is that when you mash the gas down and hold it for a whole mile, wishing it would go faster .... I took a dumpy road course car to the Mile, so let's see what it will do in a quarter. Isn't that what fun is? With the shorter rear gear I can't get the rear wheels to plant in the first two gears, all they want to do is spin. And I don't even want to "win," we're just going to have fun. And we will.
              Spinning isn't winning! My car is faster at the track when I take of as fast as I can with little to no wheel spin. Start practicing at every stop light!
              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
              1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
              ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post

Spinning isn't winning! My car is faster at the track when I take of as fast as I can with little to no wheel spin. Start practicing at every stop light!
                HAhaHahaH!!!!!! The Cleveland cops will just LOVE that!

Comment

cops will just LOVE that!

(superbuickguy) "but officer, if i dont leave wheels-up the clutch chatters"........

Comment

Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post

(superbuickguy) "but officer, if i dont leave wheels-up the clutch chatters"........
                    Back in the day, that's what you did. Tach it up and just dump the clutch in first gear. And it would go. But these days there's so much horsepower it overwhelms the tires. I'd still like to get in Red and drag race against that hotrod VW Bug I had way back then. The Bug than won every street race but one. We thought that was fast, we thought we all had something. And Red's a garden snail compared to showroom stuff these days. It's just unreal how fast those new cars can go. All of them.

Comment

All I DO know is that when you mash the gas down and hold it for a whole mile, wishing it would go faster ....
                      Fast to me is when you try to use everything she's got... and realize that no, you don't need more, and back off a little. When you're pulling onto a interstate (in mexico or autobahn, natch) and full throttle gives you WAY more speed than you were looking for--that's fast. Nothing sucks like feeling the throttle hit the stop and wishing there was more there.

This is why I have the big blue bike! I can't imagine how much power I'd need in a car to accomplish the same thing. It's the same with brakes for me too, when you really brake hard and then realize that no, you have plenty of brakes and don't need to grab the discs quite that hard.

It's also dependent on how much grip you have and what the chassis is doing. I think most people in cars don't experience the "Nope, I don't need that much power" feeling unless they're on a loose surface (gravel, snow, etc) or have a really iffy chassis. I had a `93 Jeep XJ that had lost some wheel weights that went straight to that point right at 57mph, shaking so hard that I couldn't actually steer anymore.

Fast as a number is a bit of a non-starter. In the right chassis, really high speeds are boring as hell. 300mph is as entertaining as sitting in a recliner if you're in a modern airplane, but 30mph on a skateboard is terrifying.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyB View Post

300mph is as entertaining as sitting in a recliner if you're in a modern airplane, but 30mph on a skateboard is terrifying.
                        Perfect! Yep. There it is.

Comment

All I learned as a younger man was that so fast that things get squirrely just by lifting off the gas is too fast for my ass. Nope not going to limit myself to a gentle roll out of the accelerator when it's time to slow down.
                          Last edited by RockJustRock; February 14, 2019, 12:46 AM.
                          My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                            All I learned as a younger man was that so fast that things get squirrely just by lifting off the gas is too fast for my ass. Nope not going to limit myself to a gentle roll out of the accelerator when it's time to slow down.
                            It's a mindset really. The first time I ran ever Red at Ohio, it rained. I only got two runs in in two days. That happens, it's random how the weather cooperates.

So I'm sitting there at the start line, nervous as hell. I'm next up, I've never done this before. And then look to the right - look at all those people! This is a huge event. Look down the track instead, they're not looking at me. Pulse rate 170.

About 50 runs later at land speed, just let me go, I already know how fast this car won't go. It's all relative.

Comment

Oh that part. For me the buzz I felt EVERY time the needle swung past 70 on the dragstrip did it for me. Trap speed wasn't that important, but picking up that time slip. Then if you do it in a cool way or have a LOT of friends there the clapping and thumbs up on the return road. I tell ya PDub, drag racing is something special and you haven't felt it until you drive it. Be forewarned, drag racing almost never gets old. A different car in the other lane. The same strip of pavement in hundreds of locations. People run the same times with the same combo for years without getting bored.
                              Last edited by RockJustRock; February 14, 2019, 01:10 AM.
                              My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                                Oh that part. For me the buzz I felt EVERY time the needle swung past 70 on the dragstrip did it for me. Trap speed wasn't that important, but picking up that time slip. Then if you do it in a cool way or have a LOT of friends there the clapping and thumbs up on the return road. I tell ya PDub, drag racing is something special and you haven't felt it until you drive it. Be forewarned, drag racing almost never gets old. A different car in the other lane. The same strip of pavement in hundreds of locations. People run the same times with the same combo for years without getting bored.
                                For me it's a great way to experience it, racing Perry. If we both get out of shape and wreck each other.....if we're not injured we'll be hugging each other after we get out of the cars. This is called "fun." Yeah, I'm looking forward to it.

Comment

Working...
                                X