Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Resurrecting this a little:

Originally posted by pdub View Post
    Then came the Ohio Mile, I was looking at the tires I needed to pass inspection. I finally looked at the tires on Red. They were rated at 119 mph. I nearly killed us going 120 in that car, that was the "floating" sensation. The right tires at speed, it was like a slot car, just sitting there happy going however fast.
    Speed rating on the tires doesn't mean they'll kaboom immediately above that speed. It means that they'll eventually overheat and fail, usually. The reason why they felt scary at that speed is because they were shitty tires and not appropriate for performance use, that's all.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyB View Post
      Resurrecting this a little:

Speed rating on the tires doesn't mean they'll kaboom immediately above that speed. It means that they'll eventually overheat and fail, usually. The reason why they felt scary at that speed is because they were shitty tires and not appropriate for performance use, that's all.
      I found that speed rated tires "like" speed. Shitty tires do not, whether they fly apart or not. I nearly killed us going that fast on cheap tires because those tires just didn't like speed. I mean squirrely in the straightaway. I had to go out and try it and at the time I knew minus zero about tires. Cheated death again, doing that. At the time I didn't even know why the car didn't drive well at speed.

I know 2% more now, other than I know you need better tires. And they ain't cheap, and that's for a reason. I've got a total of 11 of them, 9 mounted. 5 of them are too old to pass inspection at the race track. Racing is a drug.
      Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

They also make expensive, speed-rated tires that are shitty, and unpleasant at speed. Just be careful!

Comment

HAhaHahaH!!!!!! The Cleveland cops will just LOVE that!
          The goal is to not spin the tires, if they spin back off. Back off when you get to the speed limit. 0-35 as fast as you can with out spinning the tires. Cops should not give you too much trouble, maybe
          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
          ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post

The goal is to not spin the tires, if they spin back off. Back off when you get to the speed limit. 0-35 as fast as you can with out spinning the tires. Cops should not give you too much trouble, maybe
            Back in the 60's a friend of my brother's did exactly that in a 56 Chevy and a cop pulled him over. Dude said, "I never went over the speed limit." And the cop said, "But..." and I never went over the speed limit. The cop had to let him go but these days they have a modern word that's a blanket they can throw over everything - "Careless."

That would be hard to practice downtown, Red's first gear lasts about one second, spin 'em or not. Maybe practice somewhere out in the country when it warms up outside. There's no doubt you're exactly right, that's just something I've never had to pay attention to before. And I honestly don't care if I outrun Perry or not, I would be very surprised if I did.

Comment

The first gear in the Camaro is virtually useless also it's basically drop hammer shift, but that's not track conditions. Peewee if you can speed shift 1-2 on launch you can probably out 60 ft me, once ahead it'll be hard for me to come around on the top end. I think the car's are fairly even. It will be fun whatever.
              Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
              If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Originally posted by corvettedad View Post
                The first gear in the Camaro is virtually useless also it's basically drop hammer shift, but that's not track conditions. Peewee if you can speed shift 1-2 on launch you can probably out 60 ft me, once ahead it'll be hard for me to come around on the top end. I think the car's are fairly even. It will be fun whatever.
                I've never drag raced on a real track with a tree before, so you've got the decided advantage there by experience alone. Let's do that until we get tired of it and then I want some of your big ass on those go karts. I will laaaappp yooooouuuuuuuuu..... Are we there yet?

Comment

I've never drag raced on a real track with a tree before, so you've got the decided advantage there by experience alone. Let's do that until we get tired of it and then I want some of your big ass on those go karts. I will laaaappp yooooouuuuuuuuu..... Are we there yet?
                  I'm sorry I'm not that kind of guy I don't want no lapping from you, but as for the track you better practice that I'm getting outta your way wave!
                  although I am cleaning off my treadmill.
                  Last edited by corvettedad; February 19, 2019, 04:07 PM.
                  Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
                  If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Originally posted by corvettedad View Post

I'm sorry I'm not that kind of guy I don't want no lapping from you, but as for the track you better practice that I'm getting outta your way wave!
                    I already know I need one of those top of the helmet mounts for the go kart track for the GoPro camera. I won't bother to video the drag race unless you have never seen the back of your car running before.

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell View Post
                      True for radials. Slicks are whole different ballgame. A radial needs to dead hook or you can just abort the run there and then.

Comment

• Originally posted by AndyB View Post

True for radials. Slicks are whole different ballgame. A radial needs to dead hook or you can just abort the run there and then.
                        I'm not very interested in slicks because I drive the car on the street and with slicks you start transferring all the load into the internals. And I won't know how to fix it when it tears up. Red can spin the tires in 3rd gear if it's the least bit chilly and to me that's a good thing. Longer lasting car. Screw the tires, you can throw those away and get more.

Comment

• If you're going to drag race sooner or later GP has to chime in. His Mustang has a stick and he puts a LOT of runs on it. He runs some kind of Hoosier tire and hasn't broke parts. Not so much just for the race coming up, but if you happen to like going fast, any weekend you want, close to home, for a lot less bucks than a road course.
                          My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

• Originally posted by pdub View Post

I already know I need one of those top of the helmet mounts for the go kart track for the GoPro camera. I won't bother to video the drag race unless you have never seen the back of your car running before.
                            It’s dial in times. Run a couple passes and figure out your time, write it on the window, and you should finish the same time as the other guy.

Comment

• Originally posted by AndyB View Post
                              True for street radial tires. Drag radials you better know how to slip the clutch, that dead hook can brake stuff. Never had bias slicks every one tells me they are the most forgiving (best choice for a stick car)
                              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                              1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                              ​​​​​​

Comment

• Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                                a lot less bucks than a road course.
                                Meant to be humor, I think Hollywood is less expensive than a road course. But I'm glad I did it. Damn that was fun until the fun wore off. But I had to find out - no, I'm not all that good at that. But that was fun. Mission accomplished - fun. Did it, got away with it.

Comment

Working...
                                X