How Fast is Fast ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Russell View Post
    True for street radial tires. Drag radials you better know how to slip the clutch, that dead hook can brake stuff. Never had bias slicks every one tells me they are the most forgiving (best choice for a stick car)
    I've never, ever understood the idea of throwing the clutch away with a radial. Always slide the clutch! The tire can still dead hook if you're sliding the clutch past 60'. I'm a bike guy, throwing the clutch away would mean wearing a 500lb aluminum and plastic hat. After doing something very similar last year, I try hard to avoid that!

I guess there are clutch setups that slide for you, multistage and whatever. They're still sliding the clutch though, but they're doing it mechanically.

Comment

• Originally posted by AndyB View Post

I've never, ever understood the idea of throwing the clutch away with a radial. Always slide the clutch! The tire can still dead hook if you're sliding the clutch past 60'. I'm a bike guy, throwing the clutch away would mean wearing a 500lb aluminum and plastic hat. After doing something very similar last year, I try hard to avoid that!

I guess there are clutch setups that slide for you, multistage and whatever. They're still sliding the clutch though, but they're doing it mechanically.
      I have never heard of throwing the clutch away? Is that like dumping? I would think a dead hook at 60' is less likely to break stuff.

Those adjustable clutches are not cheap. Checked one website "starting at $1875" it takes a very good driver to get the right amount of clutch slip with a drag radial. I got the clutchtamer and it controls the slip for a lot less than an adjustable clutch. If I have to buy new drag tires I think I will get bias slicks. It's hard to find good used 26" ones here most run 28"
      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
      ​​​​​​

Comment

• Throwing a clutch away is the left-fingers equivalent of sidestepping a clutch. Sorry, they're mentally interchangable in my head.

Adjustable clutches are scary money, absolutely. Start with two grand and don't expect change, and that's for a tiny bike one. There's the alternate route also though, where you control the pedal/lever movement instead of the actual clutch engagement. For example, there's a guy (I can't remember the name nor the website) that basically sells screen door cylinders that are connected to the clutch pedal and can be preset/tweaked to slow the movement of the pedal at a predetermined rate. There's stuff like bleed valves that you can use in a hydraulic clutch setup, too.

Comment

• Originally posted by AndyB View Post
          Throwing a clutch away is the left-fingers equivalent of sidestepping a clutch. Sorry, they're mentally interchangable in my head.

Adjustable clutches are scary money, absolutely. Start with two grand and don't expect change, and that's for a tiny bike one. There's the alternate route also though, where you control the pedal/lever movement instead of the actual clutch engagement. For example, there's a guy (I can't remember the name nor the website) that basically sells screen door cylinders that are connected to the clutch pedal and can be preset/tweaked to slow the movement of the pedal at a predetermined rate. There's stuff like bleed valves that you can use in a hydraulic clutch setup, too.
          Yeah that's weedburner, and his clutchtamer. I have one. For what the parts are it is way over priced. But I figured I am paying for the engineering and development. That and it was cheaper than new slicks or an adjustable clutch. My time to try to recreate his invention was not worth it.
          http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
          1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
          ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
          X