Cherokee Stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cherokee Stuff

This being So. Cal. desert season and figuring to check out the main Jeep/4x4 event in March, I caught up on a few of the next mods I wanted to do on our daily-driver '91 Cherokee. The ol' black box sits just a tiny bit too low in front, it needed more height but not enough to put front-end geometry out of whack. In the course of building something else I had come up with a pair of front spring spacers that could be installed without removing the coils as it's a bugger to get those drawn down over bump-stop columns inside. As you'd figure, these just clamp in from the sides. They're only an inch in height gain but that will do.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC07527.JPG Views:	1 Size:	34.4 KB ID:	1192528.

At the rear, one of the things that has been a problem is needing a tie-down and jacking points. Cherokees just don't have a good place back there. Up 'til now we've had to hook around the rear axle which risks brake line damage plus I don't much care for crawling around underneath the car to lift it when out in the dirt or rocks. 1/4" steel brackets mount behind the bumper, connect to channels that attach under the frame rails (if you could call them that) such as a trailer hitch would, and clevis shackles from the hardware store hang below. They can swing free up to 90* where they stop and let a high-lift jack catch in. You can barely see on the left, while I was at it I pulled the rear springs apart and added a second main leaf for a tiny bit more lift. They curve around the bottom of the originals to make a semi-"military wrap" to reduce the likelihood of breakage there. Leaf springs do break and when they do you're screwed.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC07533.JPG Views:	1 Size:	97.7 KB ID:	1192529.

We've had an OK combination of traction and streetability with a Ford Racing posi unit in the rear 8.8, but the front Dana 44 has been open and helped get us stuck a couple of times when one front wheel lost it and wound up just spinning in the air. I had originally wanted what they call a "lunchbox locker" in there, not wishing for the expense and hassle of a selectable, and finally pulled the trigger. I had a bad time trying to research these units, even the supposed off-road experts in their remarks about how these things work only tell you what they do...not how they work. Yeah we know what they do, that's why we'd get one, but understanding operation would help somebody to choose among the three-or-so most common brands. Anyhow, they are comparable to a clutch-type posi if you could imagine you were using the posi clutches only to drive the vehicle and not spider gears, except: Instead of clutch packs on each side there are positive locking splines which can engage/disengage, and instead of side force for that being applied by outward pushing of side gears by spiders, the notches that the big center pin fit through to transfer torque are angled to create side thrust, i.e. input torque causes outward movement of the center "drivers" and engagement into the driven sides which connect to the axles. For one side to disengage around a corner; when pushed along by the outside wheel rather than being driven, half of the driver set can rotate forward a few degrees relative to the other on it's angled pin ramp and release the force on that side, letting things back out enough for free spinning. Small pins with springs under them that come out of a hole on one side and slide around against a flat spot on the other provide pre-load, similar to the spring on a clutch posi. Better pics of all this would help, I know, but I didn't think of grabbing the camera until this point.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC07541.JPG Views:	1 Size:	96.2 KB ID:	1192530

What are the big flat spots on the center drivers for? That's just so they can fit into the case...otherwise, they wouldn't go through the hole.

I wound up choosing a locker branded "Spartan". Fits in the stock case like they all are supposed to, looked about like the others, got decent reviews, and I was happy to see when opening the box that everything looked very well made. Seems a little water has been getting in the old diff oil, you can see the cloudy color....since no oil has been leaking out I imagine the seals are still good. The hose on the top case vent had broken away at some point and could have been letting water in there so I guess that's what that was about.

--------------------

On a hillside overlooking a few thousand fellow campers, out for the annual "Tierra Del Sol" off-road meet last weekend. Normally that kind of stuff is too crowded and dusty for me but once a year is OK. We are camped well on the outskirts in the foothills to the right of photo.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC07543.JPG Views:	2 Size:	81.9 KB ID:	1192532.

We cruised around a bit to check out all the goings-on then...OK let's try that front locker now. This is some pretty soft dirt with a few rocks in it to climb up:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC07552.JPG Views:	2 Size:	124.4 KB ID:	1192533

Gets pretty tight in there. A wider vehicle wouldn't have fit, there are a few such places in the Anza-Borrego desert Badlands which is why I've chosen to keep the Cherokee narrow instead of using wider axles/wheel offsets etc. which might be appropriate for other-type offroad areas.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC07553.JPG Views:	1 Size:	73.1 KB ID:	1192535

Soft uneven terrain? No problem now, every time a front wheel started to slip the other one took over and pulled us right through. Now we're having fun!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC07554.JPG Views:	1 Size:	92.2 KB ID:	1192536

And up over the top. Wonder what that flag on the back of the car is for? That's so somebody coming the other way can see you before flying over the top of the hill and having a head-on collision which is not a totally unusual event. Required safety stuff, much of the time.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC07555.JPG Views:	1 Size:	153.6 KB ID:	1192537.

What about that locker in normal operation? Is it clunky, does it jerk around a bit/not disengage when it's supposed to, and cause a little steering weirdness? Yes, to all that, to a degree. I don't think I'd use one in the rear of a street vehicle. Up front, when you're not in four-wheel mode the downsides are never noticed.

The Chero on the right is what I originally envisioned building but we've gone different in a few ways. Start with front overhang...believe-it-or-not, that front license plate on our car on the left would only have a few more hours to be straight and undented before I'd be smacking it into a hillside while going up something. (edit: attempting to go up something.) As far back as it is with the bumper style and the front wheelbase pushed out a couple inches, we still catch on things sometimes, with any more crap hanging off the front we'd never have a chance at some of the terrain in our part of the land. You can't see steering shaft/panhard rod angles on ours but with the box lowered and the tie rod points raised we're much closer to level for better road manners, the guy on the right has the more-common but freaky handling offset. Sticking with "small" 32" tires means the spare can go inside and not be on the roof helping to tip the car over, or be out back blocking the view.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC07551.JPG Views:	1 Size:	85.3 KB ID:	1192538

Hey look, a carpeted car with a dog on it. The little Isuzu or whatever it is didn't go far without having a tow strap and helper attached to the front.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC07549.JPG Views:	1 Size:	69.5 KB ID:	1192539

It's hard to see in this pic but there's a big rock and a puddle of oil under this guy's front diff. He would come out on a tow strap too.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC07545.JPG Views:	1 Size:	50.5 KB ID:	1192540

A fun couple of days then off to home. Cheap old truck, cheap old camper, low-budget Jeep that just has some time and effort into it.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC07569.JPG Views:	1 Size:	61.9 KB ID:	1192541
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Loren; March 5, 2018, 11:35 AM.

I always enjoy your off road and Cherokee stories .
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Gosh what fun. Loren, you should write a book about something. I'd sure read it.
      Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

I didn't exactly grow up around this type hardware so it's been lots of discovery to me, happy to share...

Comment

lunch box (of which spartan is one) are great in the rear. Also, I know this isn't a deal for you, but keep in mind that its natural state is locked - which is great until you try to turn on ice or snow.... then it's not as fun as you might imagine (or anything without enough viscosity to force the detentes past each other)
          Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; March 5, 2018, 02:51 PM.
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I'd believe that would be a handful...all you could do is use the softest-possible preload springs to let it disengage easier, or even radius off the teeth (or whatever you call them) a little more than how they come. Experience would be key, for sure...it looks to me those things are all about angles, the one at the pin vs. the ones at the teeth which are basically working against each other, plus the preload factor.

There is actually a locker in the D80 rear of that truck, courtesy previous owner. He didn't tell me what kind, it could even be a Detroit? It acts a lot like the one in the Challenger. If the rear tire sizes aren't perfectly matched you get one side always pulling you on the highway, going up a steep curvy grade pulling a trailer (in the truck not the Chall!) there is only the inside tire doing the work much of the time and the tread wear is pretty high, especially on the right side. Otherwise you don't know it's back there 'cept for a little clunking here and there, so when I say I wouldn't use a locker in the rear I suppose I refer only to exactly the one that's in front of the Cherokee. In the mud which we can have a lot of around here, that 2wd truck will sink down, down in the rear until it hits a rock or something on one side or the other then you do get launched forward just fine, 'way more than with a posi. Other than the tire wear which is not what I like to have when paying for E-rated BFG's it's been livable. A few years back I went to the trouble of installing an ARB Air Locker in the 9.5 diff I had in a Blazer I was building to to a lot of travel-trailer towing in, figuring it would be nice to have the selectable deal, but I wound up trading the project off before I ever used it.
            Last edited by Loren; March 5, 2018, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Loren, when we went to SC a few weeks ago, we got to visit with a friend I used to work with. He retired, and is trying to build a helicopter and an airplane at the same time. The pension won't cover all of that. So now he's bagging groceries at Publix to fund his projects.

My hands won''t allow me to bag groceries anymore if I even wanted to, but you and him remind me so much of one another - just go DO it. Thank you Sir for sharing your stories, and you are so good at it.
              Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

detroit lockers are a noisy beast - lots of clunking and chirping of tires. Their claim to fame is the slick-downhill. One of the 4x4 magazines perfectly described the locker - it will die before it lets a tire turn slower then the driveshaft. What that means is it can lock up the rear end so the tires don't turn at all. On a slick down hill, you'll swap ends before you ever realize what just happened. The longer the wheelbase, the less likely it is that it occurs. Limited slips are basically clutches that help, but once they get worn are an expensive-to-fix, open differential.

Newer lockers use side-cut gears and will only allow a few rotations of the free tire before it locks up the differential (think of winding a spring). Once they are locked, it takes a bit of regular driving for them to fully unwind. I don't like the last because they're unpredictable. On a track, you can go through a couple corners but then start losing traction on corner then find yourself understeering yourself into a wall because they act like a spool when fully locked. I know, when wouldn't you know you're losing traction? when you're on an off-camber corner that's unloaded your inside tire thus initiating the locking protocols, suddenly, mid-corner, you went from slight oversteer to snap understeer....

lunchbox in the front is easy to 'defeat' by simply only locking one hub. lunchbox in the rear is predictable without the cost of a detroit or the ability of it to lock up the rear (which can only be undone by backing up).

Of course, there's also selectable lockers like arb or eaton
                all have their moments of shining, and their moments where you really wish they weren't there.... I'm a big 'predictable' fan so selectable or lunchbox are my preference....
                Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; March 5, 2018, 04:04 PM.
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                X