Trailer ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer ??

I just freshened up the brakes on my (now) old car trailer (I bought it new like, last week and now it's at least 20+ years later.....) and I have a couple of questions. Or maybe I'm over-thinking this. BTW - these are 3500 lb. Dexter axles with electric brakes on the rear axle only. The brakes are 10" X 2 1/4". BTW - the front lining on the right had pulled off of the shoe.

1) How much grease should I put in the hubs? They were crammed full when I took them apart but I was taught that you packed the bearings and maybe a little more in the hub but anything more was likely to heat up and run out on the brakes. The old brakes did, indeed, have some lube on the linings. After looking online I did add a bit thru the Bearing Buddies (15 pumps each) but that will by no means fill the hub. I think I'm probably OK but the online wisdom is that you fill the void until grease comes back out the front. OPINIONS, please.

2) The wiring harness goes down the left side. The left brake was wired to a pair of wires that runs thru the axle tube over to the right side brake. It also hooks to the 2 wires from the harness. So far so good. The right brake, however, was wired to the wires that run thru the axle but also had 2 wires crimped into the connection at the backing plate that went to nowhere - just hanging out in space. My first thought was that they had been pulled loose somehow but serious looking around failed to turn up any unused wires in the area. I'm guessing that those are used in some applications but not in mine. Again, ANY IDEAS?

I think this job is ready to test ASAP but I'd sleep better if any of you trailer guys can put my mind to rest.

Dan

Had bearing buddy on my boat trailer and it always came off

Mu older trailer hauled 45 ishy appliances 3-5 times a week for years (10-15). Took the hub cover off and looked as good as the day I built that trailer 33 years ago.. I used the black waterproof heavy duty stuff..

I used to fill the recesses on my cars.. Then an old shade tree mechanic asked why..to have some to add when they go dry? Grease is not supposed to melt.. If it does, you got problems. It made it hard to clean when the wrong offset rims blew my ball bearing fronts.. I now have rollers..

Comment

Those extra wires, probably just for front brakes if they were used. Some trailers do, some don't.

I think the whole Bearing Buddy/filled cavity thing is for boat trailers where your best defense against water ingress, which would come from the rear where there is a moving vs. not-moving parts and a seal, is to fill the whole thing with grease and create a positive pressure situation with the sprung diaphragm. When a little water does get in and mix with the grease it's pushed back out next time you pump up the grease fittings. The downside is grease everywhere around the rear seal as it blows out over time. For a regular car-hauler or utility trailer, just grease like normal, only into the bearings, and forget the whole Bearing Buddy scheme...I don't know why they'd be there. How far do we run regular car front wheel bearings between re-packing? A long time. Why should trailers that don't see immersion in water be any different.

On another note, I once needed to do some greasing on a punch press with bronze shell bearings (not roller) and had run out of the regular grease so I used a cartridge of this water-resistant blue stuff (not black) from my boat trailer. Within a few months of use the press bearings were worn to crap, I couldn't believe it. So think of that when you're choosing grease and think that maybe water-resistant stuff would be preferable to regular just on general principal, be careful, in my case what I had was evidently a compromise over regular grease although it may have something to do with the bearing type.
      Last edited by Loren; March 11, 2018, 06:24 AM.

Comment

Thanks for that.... I'll continue to check my buddies on the car trailer and keep an eye on the bearings...
        Patrick & Tammy
        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I pack the wheel bearings same as on a car, as you said you thought it should be done. Haven't lost one yet.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Thanks guys!

A bit more trailer fun: When I was messing with the brakes I noticed that the axles were BADLY rusted with rust pimples all over them. With a fair amount of pulling and hassle I DID get the trailer on the hoist (pull the wheels and put it on car skates to get past the hoist). Anyhow, I attacked the axles with the 4 1/2" grinder fitted with a wire brush then shot them with self-etching primer. I had a spray can of Rust-Oleum and wasn't fussy about the color so here you go - snazzy axles, hopefully preserved from future rust.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1853.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	337.5 KB
ID:	1193269

Dan

Comment

I'm with Jim, I pack mine like a car. No problems in years and years of hauling horses and cars. And railroad ties, stone posts,..........you get the picture, I'm sure.
              EDIT: Nice axles btw.
              Last edited by oletrux4evr; March 11, 2018, 08:01 PM.
              Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
              HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Working...
              X