was there any 50s Mopar gassers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• was there any 50s Mopar gassers?

been lookin for mid 50s mopars with straight axles, cant find one pic... did people not race mopars in these days??? anyone have one or have any pics?

Re: was there any 50s Mopar gassers?

How 'bout the high & mighty:

Comment

yep, thats the only one I can find... what Id like to see is a 55 plymouth post...

Comment

Wasn't there an article recently about the High and Mighty?

Comment

Yes, not too long ago. http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicl...rod/index.html

Comment

The H&M is an Altered, not a Gasser.

Comment

Originally posted by Freiburger
              The H&M is an Altered, not a Gasser.
              D'oh! That would explain the C/A painted on it. So, do you know of any Mopar gassers then, Dave?

Comment

54? dodge gasser

Comment

I guess this is a split answer but here goes.

I'm sure (as the photo above denotes) that there were Mopar/Chrysler cars running in the gas classes back in the 1950's. Because of the sheer number of cars and people participating it would only make sense that there were guys running these cars.

I think the real question is actually, "Were there any FAMOUS 1950's Mopar gassers". For me anyway, the answer to that question is, 'not that I've heard of'.

My guess would be that most of the Mopar and Chrysler products of the 1950's would have fallen into the lower D-G/ Gas ranks due to the weight Vs cubic inch breaks of the day. 1955-57 Chevy's with 301's OWNED C gas and D gas as well as C/Gas Supercharged and D/Gas Supercharged.

The A/G and B/G (and A/GS and B/GS) cars owned the spotlight because they ran the hero numbers and had the hero drivers. No Chrysler products to note in those ranks.

I'll dive into my history books and see if I can find anything.

Brian
                  That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

As Brian said, virtually everything ran in Gas classes at one time or another. When I had access to the HRM archives, I used to love seeing all sorts of oddball stuff and had planned to do a story about them. Dave Koffel ran a Packard, of all things. It was just a weight-per-cube class. But I know of no famous Mopar Gassers.

However, I'm pretty sure that these days, guys say "Gasser" when all they really mean is "straight-axle." Assuming that's the case, you can pretty much just toss an axle under the front of anything these days and claim it's retro cool.

Comment

I think a lot of the gassers of that era had Chrysler engines in them, regardless of the body type.

Comment

Originally posted by Canadianzed
                        I think a lot of the gassers of that era had Chrysler engines in them, regardless of the body type.
                        I was thinking the same thing.

Comment

Well heres my reason for asking...

Id like to find an actual car that was raced to copy...

Comment

'56 Plymouth Plaza?

Did you actually get that? Looks like something I'd be too afraid to cut, but it would be perfect nose-high with radiused rear wheelwells and a Hemi or even a wcked small-block with a tunnel ram. Just mimic any of the millions of Tri-Five Chevy Gassers, but Plymouth style.

Did you get my email on the Duster?

Comment

its a 55, its really straight and solid, bought it from a old man... I was thinking a straight axle, hemi, slotted mags, I havent commited to the radiused wheelwells yet, although I know its a requirement to complete the "look" ...
                              never got your email???

Comment

Working...
                              X