Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

92 Corvette, 300hp ZF 6 speed ......It stinks .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 92 Corvette, 300hp ZF 6 speed ......It stinks .

Never in my life did I ever think I would say this about the car but it does . I've been putting this off for to months but I just have to say it . A little back ground to this statement is in order since my whole life since 1968 when I first saw my first corvette, which was a 68 , I've wanted one . Meaning any corvette . Not just a 68 . Anyway , I was driving home from work one day . In the inside lane of three on 465, minding my own business . when all of a sudden a sheet of visqueen blows across traffic . Nothing I can do . Just blowing around like someone's bed sheet on a windy day . It shoots towards the ground as it crosses my path . I'm quite concerned as this thing has no grill . It basically sucks air from under the bumper . Where this mess is going . Since I'm moving at, at least 65 in heavy traffic . No where to swerve , can't hit the brakes . So I'm watching the rear view hoping to see it shoot out the back . Nope it doesn't appear . So I keep watching the temp gage , figuring its a low pressure zone there . Temp never budges . So, at some point I forget about it., Get home get out of the car . I smell a little bit of a stinking smell but figure , a little bit of the stuff snagged under the car , it'll burn off . Hey its freezing cold winter time . Any way this smell keeps getting worse every time I drive the car . Fortunately, it easily outruns the smell but if you get stuck at a red light or heavy traffic , everyone is going to smell it . Finally one day I'm far enough away from the car at a side angle that it looks like a quarter sheet of that stuff is ragged and stuck to something under the car . I jack the thing up and to my chagrin I see that the quarter part is just what is left unmelted . The rest has shrink wrapped itself to the converter and it is hard plastic now . Man , I ripped all the fluffy stuff off and then went chipping at the rest . Thought I got it all but , I still have a faint smell of hot plastic . Guess a wire wheel and a drill Are in the future an the next warm dry day . Yeah . I case your wondering ,its been a boring wet day .
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Whew, for a minute I thought you hated your car. As many know I lead the C4 appreciation and malaise-era C3 hater society. Sure a single converter C3 is a O.K. BASE for a project, but why do it?
    My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

I got totally "fished in" by the provocative headline and the first few sentences. LOL.

Bummer about the impromptu "shrink wrap."

BTW, I don't own any gold chains, disco shirts, or golf clubs, so I could never qualify to be a Corvette owner. But I did tour the Bowling Green plant (back when they allowed that sort of thing).

Comment

More plastic, said the go go girl.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

We caught a plastic bag with Nigel, ME's Mercury Colony Park wagon. I tried to scrape it off the converter but it ultimately took months for it to burn off. Yep - it stinks!

Dan

Comment

Yes, the intent was to hook you guys but yes , it is a true story . I really like the way the interior is in any c4 over even my late C4. But I really like my 6 speed and I like the way it handles . The denders stick up pretty high a a C3 and it looks like your looking at two big triangles but I think I could get used to it . And maybe I could stop banging my head when I get in them . When ever I get back under it to work on the exhaust I'll remove the resonator since it does have magnaflow Stainless steel mufflers on it now
            . I do need to make one correction to the story I wrote afte 1:00 my time , The plastic stuck to the resonator not the converter . Brain fart . It has two converters and they are attached to the shorty factory header/ exhaust manifold . And I don't ever plan on taking them off unlessbI get full length headers . And I don't see that happening .
            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I feel your pain...

The day my dad and I picked up the 69 Chevelle, we had a similar incident. Car was a fresh restoration- 200 miles, all within 10 miles of the guys house. New 502, ceramic coated headers, fresh underside. I was following him in my car, when somebody in a crap pickup flew by, loaded with old lawn furniture. Cushion flys out... right under the chevelle. Crap plastic immediately melts to the headers, sticking under it, pouring out black melted plastic smoke. Guy kept speeding off. Never did get it all off the headers.

Then a deer hit the passenger 1/4 panel 2 hours later.
              Local person
              sigpic

Comment

Man , that's terrible . Who'd think a restored chevelle would need a exo-cage !
                Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

The dead end street I live in is a minor county road thus blacktopping is not a priority.. They chip seal it.. Pour tar, add pea gravel
                  Having fenderwell headers blows big time!

Comment

I've had my run-ins with sheets of plastic floating aimlessly about the highway. When you're in a car/truck it is no big deal...when your on 2 wheels...it gets a little hairy. Scooting down the highway on the old sport bike...clipping away the miles at a "spirited" pace. The I see it, a sheet of plastic the size of a king sized bed sheet wafting in the breeze.
                    You know how you can focus on a moving object and just by looking at it you can pin-point its tragectory with deadly accuracy? Yeah, I did that...I could see it, I knew where it was going but could not do anything about it...the....*PLOP* right over the front of the bike, right up in my face, plastic wrapped around me and the bike like some sort of face eating alien. I had slowed enough that I was able to pull off the road safely but...still, my ass puckered so violently that I spent 15 minutes on the side of the road digging my jeans out of it.

Then there was the smell of melted plastic on the headers...good stuff...good stuff indeed.
                    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

That's scary . At least you'd already be in a body bag if it was needed .I can't believe how long the smell stays on the pipes .
                      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Dan, Blue 92 sure looked fine sitting our driveway for a little while while y'all were on the inaugural joyride. It's a shame it got all stinky in the long run, though.....just saying.
                        Last edited by pdub; April 3, 2018, 06:29 PM.
                        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Well , ya got me on that one . I can come up with stuff ........I just don't want to say it . Checkmate , ( as my king topples over ) Its in the shop . Second brand new Nitto being replaced .Between chuck holes and bolts and a kid that can't tell the tire went flat a few miles from home .Tire on the outside looked fine except for the bolt . But it had a freezer bag size of powerized rubber inside .
                          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Had , a close call . Just as almost all the stink is gone a shopping bad tried it's best but didn't make it past a gap in the air dam . Crisis averted.
                            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

You have the bag gods after you!

Comment

Working...
                              X