Screw Ups..... Let’s Hear Yours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screw Ups..... Let’s Hear Yours

So today I was trying to figure out why it was so hard to turn the crank in a stroker motor I’m attempting to put together and I pulled a rod off and noticed the bearing was crushed at the ends. Take all of them out and notice they’re ALL crushed. Scratch my head a few time and go over to the machine shop to ask a few questions.
    Turns out that I ordered Pontiac rod bearings for my 461 poncho stroker. Problem is that nobody puts a Pontiac rod on a stroker crank. They’re all big block chevy rods now so I needed big block bearings. I felt stupid for sure.
    Let’s hear your stupid story of the day

Mine is not nearly so technical and it didn't happen "today." I tried for 3 days to put a Hurst shifter on the car using a 10 mm deep well socket. The bolt was in a hard to reach spot. I cussed, well, that struggle was well documented here quite a while back.

On the third day I determined that the Craftsman Made in America socket was defective. It wouldn't fit a 10 mm bolt or any other one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Socket.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	1197009
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Did you return it for replacement???
      Patrick & Tammy
      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
        Did you return it for replacement???
        Are you asking me or pontiacpower?

Comment

I've always been ultra-careful assembling a short block...check, measure, check, plastigauge. How I've gotten years and years out of a d.i.y. motor when the ones I've bought assembled didn't last for crap. But once helping a buddy, we couldn't get the crank rope seal to fit in it's space in a Buick 215, but we stuffed it in there anyhow and torque'd 'er down. Was very hard to turn the crank then and later the motor always ran hot, always a little short of power, and I always suspected that stupid rope seal. He wrecked the car anyways within a couple years, I never got the chance to take it back apart and see what happened.

Comment

I can’t return the bearings for refund because they sent me the right product on their end. I didn’t make the connection that I need B.B. chevy bearings in a Pontiac even though I knew I had B.B. rods I’m going to order some in the morning though. You’d be surprised how many times I’ve made silly mistakes building this engine.
            i scoped the local yard for a 4 speed while on a valve cover search today so I might end up in your predicament pdub haha

Comment

[QUOTE=pontiacpower;n1197019so I might end up in your predicament pdub haha
              [/QUOTE]

I doubt it. It's taken me some years to perform and practice my way down into the "3 days Per Legitimate Hour of Work" category. I don't know anybody else who's ever even tried to work on a car that has had so much stupid trouble, and I've brought every bit of it upon myself.

Comment

Originally posted by pontiacpower View Post
                So today I was trying to figure out why it was so hard to turn the crank in a stroker motor I’m attempting to put together and I pulled a rod off and noticed the bearing was crushed at the ends. Take all of them out and notice they’re ALL crushed. Scratch my head a few time and go over to the machine shop to ask a few questions.
                Turns out that I ordered Pontiac rod bearings for my 461 poncho stroker. Problem is that nobody puts a Pontiac rod on a stroker crank. They’re all big block chevy rods now so I needed big block bearings. I felt stupid for sure.
                Let’s hear your stupid story of the day
                So who did you get the stroke and poke kit from?

Comment

In the dead of winter in Wisconsin my car would start and run fine until hot. Then in about 10 more miles all the oil would just vanish. No smoke. No puddles parked. Put it on the lift and I had hit a chunk of ice off a semi putting a tiny crack in the oil filter.
                  My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Just read my cam swap related posts........

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

Are you asking me or pontiacpower?
                      you...It's kind of difficult to choose which screwup ranks number one...I had sooooo many doozies....
                      Last edited by silver_bullet; April 14, 2018, 05:08 AM.
                      Patrick & Tammy
                      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Keep em coming gents. I feel just a little bit better about myself. Did you find an ice chunk sticking out of the filter? That would be wild.
                        i got another good one. About 5 years ago on the last day of high school I did a burnout pulling out of the parking lot and boom! Drive shaft yoke explodes in the parking lot and fragments out of both sides of my Jeep. Driveshaft banged up a brand new muffler too. Hop out to investigate, pull the driveshaft off and drive to the lake.

Comment

On summer vacation, 1973, my dad bought me a Hot Rod magazine to keep me entertained for a while.

I should have thrown it away...and never looked at another one, ever.

look where I am now.
                          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                            On summer vacation, 1973, my dad bought me a Hot Rod magazine to keep me entertained for a while.

I should have thrown it away...and never looked at another one, ever.

look where I am now.
                            Same here but ten years earlier......
                            Never threw mine away....I wore it out.
                            Then I found a small corner shop that got Hot Rod, Car Craft, Popular Hot Rodding...bought
                            all I could.
                            The copy my dad got me was replaced off EBay.

Comment

The year dad passed, I had to work full time, take care of the farm with cows, and my kids were 16-14.. So derby car building time was non existant..
                              Had it near enough finished...so I thought... Arrive at the venue... Forgot my short chains to close the door with. So I used my 20' tie down chains.. Hook and wrap then across the car and the same. Duct taped them on.. Every hit the chain in the center snapped forward, hitting ME! My elbow was black, blue and bloody by time I placed 4th.
                              Now they are welded shut!

Comment

Working...
                              X