No announcement yet.

Screw Ups..... Let’s Hear Yours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pouring fresh oil into a motor.......and you´ve forgotten the drain plug......

Comment

Originally posted by malc View Post
      Pouring fresh oil into a motor.......and you´ve forgotten the drain plug......
      That ain't a screw up.. It's NORMAL, ya hear? NORMAL!

Comment

My list is short as I NEVER screw up (yeah, right......). I figure if no one else knows about it it isn't a screw-up, right? Besides, there aren't enough pixels (aren't pixels what the 'puter uses to make letters?) on BS to list 'em all. I could mention starting Mutt to drive him off the trailer in Arkansas this weekend w/o pulling the exhaust plug first - never did find that sucker. For those of you who don't know Mutt the Race Truck, a spray paint lid fits the fender-exit exhaust tube perfectly and after applying a hose clamp to hold it tight it takes a fair amount of pressure (like, say, Diesel compression) to blow it off. Somewhere on the Blytheville Airpark there's a paint can lid with a hose clamp on it and the finder will never figure out its function.

I stopped at O'Riley's and scored more chassis black and a hose clamp for the drive home. They wouldn't sell me just the lid......

Dan

Comment

Dan..I love putting empty water bottles in other driver's exhaust stacks and when they start.. The bottles rocket up and scare the beejeezus out of them
          They go 20-30 feet up!

Comment

One of the a/fuel cars I was working on developed a wheel seal leak in the trailer on the way to the track. So after we got all set up I started to take it apart so I could fix it. The axle in it was just a long tube with splines on both ends for the hubs and a set of off set splines in the middle. So...I pulled the axle out and stood it up out of the way, repairs were made and I put it back together. It ran fine on the jack stands, and forward and reverse seemed to work.
            Towed it up to the starting line, fired it up and was getting ready to do a burnout but when the driver let the clutch out the car wouldn't move. I looked down and could see the drive shaft spinning. That's when i realized what I had done. I put the axle in backwards, there was just enough spline to grab the spool on the jack stands so I didn't think twice about it until that very moment..
            I could sit here all day and tell these stories, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
              there's brilliance, and learning experiences... heck some of my best learning experience sure looked like a screw up until the story was related a few years later.
              I've always subscribed to this school of thought. If you screw up and learn something from it then it was not really a screw up. I think if you learn nothing and make the same mistake over and over then...you should be taken out back and beat upon the head and neck.

I've learned a lot by screwing up...I don't think I would be as successful as I am today if it were not for the endless screw ups I made.....and continue to make...seemingly on a daily basis.
              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
                There is not enough time for me to write down my screwups...and I do not possess a broad enough vocabulary to paint the true picture of the events.
                The biggest screw up - we'll assume you are asking about automotive related dumbassedness. If we stick to that topic my list is still extensive...I do like to keep things simple so I'll start with...

The #$%^&*@ day I purchased this $%*&^* pile of %^$&*#^ shit.

We have a love hate relationship...Everytime I fix one thing she reveals another problem...It's a vicious cycle.
                You know sometimes i feel the same way about the red rocket

Comment

Working...
                X