Interesting Bits Of GM Info From The SAE Mag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Bits Of GM Info From The SAE Mag

As noted on here before I'm a member of the Society of Automotive Engineers (NO, I was NOT an engineer - it's a long story) and as such I get their mag once a month. You know, those paper things that arrive in the mailbox?

Anyhow, a couple of interesting goodies:

1) Cadillac will be getting a new, exclusive engine. There seems to be no linkage to the LS series as far as I can tell. It's a 4.3l all aluminum V-8, twin turbo, DOHC gleaming bit of technology. The engine features what I call "reverse flow" with the exhaust coming out the top and the intake air coming thru where we're used to seeing the exhaust manifolds. This is akin to the newer Ford-made Diesels. The availability will be limited to Caddy's performance models though I suppose that could change if the engine proves itself.

2) The short-bed GMC Sierra will get an all carbon fiber box in 2019. This will be made from chopped CF and not the long strands that we're used to seeing in performance parts. The chopped CF evidently lowers waste considerably over the long strand method. No mention was made of how it will be finished (paint, molded-in color, ?) or other particulars. My guess is that this is a trial and if it works well more body pieces will be formed this way.

Dan
    Last edited by DanStokes; April 24, 2018, 10:32 AM.

http://media.cadillac.com/media/us/e...-turbo-v8.html

Last edited by RockJustRock; April 24, 2018, 10:48 AM.
    My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

That's the one, RJR! How long 'till someone swaps one into a Nova or some such?

Dan

Comment

check out the tailgate on that truck
        The 2019 GMC Sierra is, as ever, an upscale variant of the 2019 Chevrolet Silverado. Today GM announced what’s in the latest version, and more interestingly, how it’s different from its Chevy counterpart. Actually, it’s got one thing that makes it different from every other pickup ever.

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
          How long 'till someone swaps one into a Nova or some such?
          I'm imagining that in my Vette ...

Comment

I'm imagining Ford dumping a Bobcat bucket of bricks into it. Or the Ford guys on YB saying "No bed, All liner". Or the happy new owner saying "Beats Beercans!". Did I miss anyone? The Craftsman Truck racers saying the one THEY fab will be true to stock materials?

Comment

So the motor has a Hot V and two tiny turbos. I knew this woman...... Seriously any time I think of really small turbos I remember the durability issues on the first ones on Buick Regals.

Comment

I'm thinking the world's lightest street rod. Make the frame out of junk NSX and Vette alloy items.... 'Course that would be wasted on me or DB, but PDub would FLY around a road course in it. He'd take up autocross just to show off!

Comment

Do I REALLY live in a cave or have THESE things been neglected by the motoring press? ZOOMY!

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                    check out the tailgate on that truck
                    The 2019 GMC Sierra is, as ever, an upscale variant of the 2019 Chevrolet Silverado. Today GM announced what’s in the latest version, and more interestingly, how it’s different from its Chevy counterpart. Actually, it’s got one thing that makes it different from every other pickup ever.

According to the writeup in the SAE mag they actually went about finding plausible items to toss in the bed to make sure it didn't puncture like the Ford aluminum model. That job would have been fun.

Dan

Comment

basically it's the bedliner without the bed. it makes far more sense then the Ford aluminum idea where they said you should probably put a bedliner in to protect the bed if you want to haul. as you might imagine some statements were made and feelings were hurt in the Ford community.
                      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                        So the motor has a Hot V and two tiny turbos. I knew this woman...... Seriously any time I think of really small turbos I remember the durability issues on the first ones on Buick Regals.
                        so your opinion on the EcoBoost is???? It has really tiny hairdryers....
                        Patrick & Tammy
                        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Not sure you clicked on the link, here, I'll do it for you....

Click image for larger version  Name:	1521640521064.jpg Views:	1 Size:	285.4 KB ID:	1198166
                          Last edited by RockJustRock; April 25, 2018, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Eco Boost.....Click image for larger version  Name:	ecoboost-2-640x448.jpg Views:	1 Size:	40.4 KB ID:	1198168
                            See? It still LOOKS like a turbo, not a transistor radio. Just a concern.....
                            Last edited by RockJustRock; April 25, 2018, 04:24 AM.

Comment

I was just commenting on your opinion of small turbos.
                              Patrick & Tammy
                              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Working...
                              X