4x4 Bench Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
    I know I'm beating a dead horse on this, but i read this and the idea got stuck in my mind....: https://jalopnik.com/heres-how-simil...eep-1823474555 Click image for larger version

Name:	no6cozvnlsjw8u09c0kh.png
Views:	63
Size:	424.7 KB
ID:	1198637
    I'm having a bit of a hard time with 3500 for a wore out Sammy that new 30 years ago went for 5500 new . Get a Jeep . Or a roxer and rebody it . That's the last thing I'm going to say . I no when I'm beat . Not that it was a competition .

Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

O.K., let's hear YOUR take on the finances of that build and the assets of the finished vehicle. Get some "donor" CJ prices off E-Bay and we'll listen.. Waiting.....
      My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

I think Dan is stuck - he's missing there is a size difference as well that's part of the advice. Little vehicles are easier to wheel.

Though I admit I chuckled at his notion that because something cost less, it's somehow inferior.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I'm certain someone with more money than common sense will do the Jeephindra soon after they appear in any volume. Also as soon as someone gets hubs on one they will be a great tow 'n drive it toy too. I just can't see anyone street driving one much. And I'm so out of touch with prices $16K might be a bargain, but I can't be feelin' it.

Comment

I just figured how much buying everything new would cost... versus piecing it out with rebuilt/used parts... a lot of engineering and R&D costs saved... and if you've seen what a restored M38 or CJ3 go for... and that's with a stock flattie four and a four speed with drum brakes and old school tires and wheels....
            Patrick & Tammy
            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

WITH a machine gun for Zombie Hunting!

Comment

But seriously I equate getting a 4-wheeler to do off roading with buying the motorcycle as a second vehicle. I loved my bike to the extent my truck gathered dust, but others end up with 2 or 3,000 miles on them after years.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                  https://www.ebay.com/itm/WILLYS-CJ3B...5a3eki&vxp=mtr

WITH a machine gun for Zombie Hunting!
                  Two wheel drive...... And as far as that goes opinions vary ...Just like people.... ours just do not follow the same path....
                  Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                    I think Dan is stuck - he's missing there is a size difference as well that's part of the advice. Little vehicles are easier to wheel.

Though I admit I chuckled at his notion that because something cost less, it's somehow inferior.
                    I think you shouldn't try to put words in my mouth . Again ,we have the same advice . The only thing is the size of the rig . You advise the smallest possible vehicle scooting across sand and I think its not safe enough size wise to be on public roads . If steve wants to pull it there behind his more reasonably sized street vehicle that's fine . To me a Jeep IS small . A K5 is midsize and a 'burb is what I want and will admit that its big . Now as long as you try to stay speak for me , I'll leave you to guide our esteemed moderator in the ways of the samurai .

Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Two wheel drive...... And as far as that goes opinions vary ...Just like people.... ours just do not follow the same path....
                      I had no idea that there ever was a military willys with only two wheel drive . Till I scrolled through the pics .
                      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

I love the big ones for working.. I pull trees with mine..
                        I agree the smaller ones make wheeling fun A buddy was staying up in the coast range and the cabin was up some steep steps.. His wife drove the Samurai right up the hill to unload groceries 2X a week.. She always was a pedal to the metal driver and did not roll it.. So? The easy to roll thing is, to me, a myth. Anything can be rolled.
                        They do command bucks around here.
                        That is why we went with Sidekicks.. $500 bucks and strip all the carpeting-headliner out. Rear seat folds to get 2-32" chain saws in. Plus gas, oil, etc
                        The FJ was pretty crowded with just one saw.. My 4 main saws are all 32" bars Ifs is kinda hokey for someone used to axled fronts.. They do not pull anything worth a crap!

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post

I think you shouldn't try to put words in my mouth . Again ,we have the same advice . The only thing is the size of the rig . You advise the smallest possible vehicle scooting across sand and I think its not safe enough size wise to be on public roads . If steve wants to pull it there behind his more reasonably sized street vehicle that's fine . To me a Jeep IS small . A K5 is midsize and a 'burb is what I want and will admit that its big . Now as long as you try to stay speak for me , I'll leave you to guide our esteemed moderator in the ways of the samurai .
                          I too am stuck on bigger vehicles.... Personally I'd look at a ZR2 blazer for a small rig(preferably a stick) or a Square body Burban with barn doors if I were to go big.....Sean is still working on High expectations, but when he goes big, it will be a silverado crew/short 3/4 ton with a big block in place of the 6 liter.... diesels don't like cold weather too much....
                          Last edited by silver_bullet; April 29, 2018, 07:43 AM.
                          Patrick & Tammy

Comment

I too am stuck on bigger vehicles.....
                            I've always wanted a K5 Jimmy.

This is all started out with me thinking I'd convert my PreRunner to 4x4, but then thought it better not to mess with the daily driver. Maybe I'll just drive the Vette as a DD while the truck is being modified. The real trick is finding a donor parts rig around here.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post

I've always wanted a K5 Jimmy.
                              Bought one new in 88... wish I still had it....

Patrick & Tammy

Comment

I too am stuck in bigger vehicles.... .
                                there, fixed it for you
                                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
                                X