The "Which Car Is It" Syndrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pdub View Post

Quite a few. I'm not selling myself short. Just saying, well, we're just not cut out for Power Tour or even Cars & Cones. We like doing our own thing, and not n a schedule.

Schedules suck. Officially. That comes after 41 years of being on a schedule. We don't have to do that any more.
    How many have a current record...
    :9156 F/FSS Weeville.com Racing Rusty Forrest 131.6945 9/27/2014
    Patrick & Tammy
    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

In LSR, most of us are WELL over 60 (more or less)(Turk is 60+ these days). Dan Warner says "SCTA" stands for "Senior Citizens Timing Association" and he ought to know! Though it IS good to see some younger guys coming into the sport.

But I see where PW is coming from. Though all he has to do to fit in in the parking lot is open the hood. Sounds like fun was had, then headed home - nothin' wrong with that!

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
        In LSR, most of us are WELL over 60 (more or less)(Turk is 60+ these days). Dan Warner says "SCTA" stands for "Senior Citizens Timing Association" and he ought to know! Though it IS good to see some younger guys coming into the sport.

But I see where PW is coming from. Though all he has to do to fit in in the parking lot is open the hood. Sounds like fun was had, then headed home - nothin' wrong with that!

Dan
        Someone is overlooking Dan Stokes, the permanent owner of MULTIPLE land speed records. Just sayin. The real deal.
        Last edited by pdub; April 26, 2018, 07:57 PM.
        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

You had to make me do it. The question of how you use your car or what schedule you don't want to adhere to is not pertinent to the topic. By definition you have a HOT ROD!! Regardless of what's in the parking lot with you.
          Luv ya man! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180426_223001.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	1198453
          Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
          If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
            I think the hobby needs more one week events, but one day on, one day to move. This Tough Man, Tough Car stuff must get old.
            There was a passage in the "rule book" for Cars and Cones - "Sleep is overrated." Terri won a cool door prize for partying in the motel lobby area. The tour director passed us by about three times during the evening and he finally said, "Y'all are STILL here?!?!". And Wee and a group of us GHI Heads were sitting there with her doing it. Yes, it's a whole lot of fun. But it moves by a whole lot every day.

Power Tour, ummmmmmmmm ..... ummmmmm.... no, thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
              We saw them doing live stuff in the parking lot. They showed the car to the right of us, the GTO, and then they panned past Red and showed and talked about the car on the other side of us. We don't even have a "car."
              One of the many flaws of the media is that it tends to concentrate on novelty and extremes (unless someone is writing a big check . . . .) Late model stuff -- unless it's insanely modified -- tends not to trigger the "novel" or "extreme" filters.

Fifty years ago this wasn't necessarily the case, but there were far fewer channels and more gatekeepers..

Forget media coverage and have fun.

Comment

That's very true....I still remember when the first item of modifying a vehicle was to de-badge it for a cleaner look....but that was before the graphic "performance " packages... if you look back, 1969 was probably the year when fad graphics really took the stage, but, those usually had performance to back it up....
                Patrick & Tammy
                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by Gateclyve Photographic View Post

Forget media coverage and have fun.
                  Yep, and that is REAL fun. But we got close to home on the map and declared that was fun enough.

Interesting, that morning I told Terri in the motel parking lot, "This is fun, we're gonna do this again." She said, "That's why we do it." But that same evening, it felt different. We'd had enough. But everybody's "enough" is different too.

Comment

[QUOTE=pdub;n1198424. We like doing our own thing, and not on a schedule.

Schedules suck. Officially. That comes after 41 years of being on a schedule. We don't have to do that any more.[/QUOTE]

Could agree with you more . I have a friend north of Indy . He is on Bangshift as well only on the power tour section . He does the power tour almost every year . I did the whole thing once and it was a blast, but to burn up a whole week of my vacation time to go to where someone else decided we should go ...........nah . I would rater get another couple or two to do something else .And although I really want to finally get the car across all the bridges skipping to Key West , That is the only draw Florida has on me at this point . I like going west . Things really seem to open up and the population thin down that way .Even just across the line into Ill.. Loved Colorado when I went there over 20 years ago but we were in a van . Looking forward to taking the vette on a trip west someday.

Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Call us from the driveway Dan B. Stay here, and we'll go to Key West with you. It's overrated, but we'd like to see it again. It's well worth some photos.

Comment

The Hemmingway house......where else you going to see that may cats with an extra toe on each foot .
                        Last edited by Dan Barlow; April 27, 2018, 08:42 AM.
                        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Barlow View Post
                          The Hemmingway house......where else you going to see that may cats with an extra toe on each foot .
                          It's a great trip. Everything is flat. And the roads are straight. You can see for miles at a time what's in front of you. When are we going to do that?

Comment

Plus common interests aside crowds get on my nerves. Asperger's Syndrome. In case you didn't get it in the Friday Night Song Thread I seriously think of a bunch of odd looking event vehicles cruising when I hear the chorus. Day1 good for laughs. Day 3-7 over it, honestly I'm just like you.

My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Dunno...At Crescent City I pull in with 2 cars on the trailer... One is my kid's. A 90's Crown Vic.. 327.. Plain with the pink cock on the roof, the other is a friend's John Deere colored car then another friend behind. The locals were all over the other 2 cars.. We got several protests and found legal.. Not a one looked at our car... Not one! When he won...he left the go pro on and lordy the hub bub.. "cheated up" pipe in the frame". Etc. Etc. One said "We are not professionals like you guys"
                              Now when we go, guys always try to find what's what... It's nice being annonomous...
                              We build for our safety and to be there at the end..
                              THAT is what Pdub and Sue do.. Make themselves happy.. Be it roadtripping or events.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                                THAT is what Pdub and Sue do.. Make themselves happy.. Be it roadtripping or events.
                                We gave it the college try. We were there. And I'm sure glad we did it, saw it. And that IS fun. But somehow we're misfits. Slightly some direction from exact center. We already know who our friends are and we are very comfortable with all of that.

Comment

Working...
                                X