Pressure Washer Blues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pressure Washer Blues

For everyone's dining (pun) and dancing pleasure, I've got the parts to rebuild the gas grill. The Weber is unlike the other tin-can grills. I've had a dozen of each, and the Weber is the best. After over 20 years, I've finally got to replace the burner.

Again, the Weber is not like the rest. I could never remember until I looked at it, but during new assembly you start with the burner and you build the rest of the grill around that burner.

So, grand plan, I'll pressure wash that thing while I've got it scattered out in the yard, the first time ever. After over 20 years.

The pressure washer has a Honda Easy Start engine on it. And it won't start. It's been under the house for years with gas sitting in the tank. Am I surprised it won't start? Nope, There's nothing "Easy" about it.

So, the obvious assumption is the carb is all gunked up. I put it back under the house. The last time it wouldn't crank I sent it to a local small engine guy and he kept it for 3 months. We'da never gotten it back, except I badgered him into submission on the telephone.

I know even less about a small engine than I do a big one. But I'm sitting here thinking.....I'm not entirely helpless. If I tear this thing apart and it never runs again, I'm in the same place that I am right now - it won't run.

Maybe tomorrow, not today. Small engine advice is much needed. I've tried to rebuild a car carb before, except when I saw all the tiny parts, I took the kit back to the store.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

I don't do well on small engines but the best advice I have on carbs in general is find the dirty parts and make them clean parts. And don't be in a hurry.

Dan

Comment

I'd go to the auto parts store and keep pouring different cure alls into it until it submits and sputters back to life. I did that to a car that barely ran after a few years. Actually stuck to Heet. The thing sat because it needed body work and I found a shop that would fix cheap it because it was a cool Mopar. The gunk in the tank served like a vanity parking key and they didn't get to beat on it AT ALL like they hoped for. I didn't either for like 500 miles and 6-8 more bottles of Heet. The dual converters did a great job of heating up and dehumidifying the carpets. Hard to explain the fogged up windows in the spring though.

I had a motorcycle that was stored too long run dry off the fuel shutoff. It would run for 50 miles then stumble for 10. When it finally died and I took the carb apart I found the fuel line was decomposing and making little rubber balls to stick the needle and seat. If you got the fuel shut off that may be the problem.
      Last edited by RockJustRock; April 28, 2018, 11:16 AM.
      My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

If it's got spark and compression, then yup, fuel is the missing component.

On small engines like that, the whole carb is generally really cheap, much moreso than you'd expect. Look in to just replacing the carb.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyB View Post
          If it's got spark and compression, then yup, fuel is the missing component.

On small engines like that, the whole carb is generally really cheap, much moreso than you'd expect. Look in to just replacing the carb.
          That's good stuff Andy, thanks! That's less trouble.

And I noticed, there's a WHOLE lot of oil puddled in the base of it. That thing's leaking, from somewhere. Might be time for a new one, though this one is still "brand new." You don't always get what you pay for.
          Last edited by pdub; April 28, 2018, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Actually I remembered another trick. In the spring after the lawnmower sat I would dump the gas we neglected to drain then spin it over with my hand on the carb throat until it sucked really hard and got wet with fresh smelling gas. Just seemed like the thing to do to a 12 year old me.

Comment

Pdub, Honda motors often have a low oil safety switch... is there enough oil in it?
              Patrick & Tammy
              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                Pdub, Honda motors often have a low oil safety switch... is there enough oil in it?
                About half a stick. I know where the other half is, I can see it.

Tomorrow. Isn't it amazing? One thing leads to another and then you have to prioritize. I don't even HAVE to pressure wash the grill to take it all apart and repair it, but....it indicates we have too much "stuff."

The grill is a primal survival tool. And it still cooks as is, but the burner has a hole in it, so....

Comment

Normally with cooking appliances I throw them away periodically. But the biggest thing I've owned have been Toaster Ovens. But are you aware you can get a PORTABLE REAL Weber..... IN RED? and it looks like a UFO.

Click image for larger version

Name:	weber-portable-grills-51040001-64_1000.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	1198686

Comment

But really Pdub... I see where you are coming from.... you have been infected with the technician bug... the desire to be able to put things right.... I, luckily was afflicted with the bug at birth which makes me lucky.... Sean, my only child, got it from birth as well..... which makes me blessed... Tammy and Sue unit tolerate us, which makes us doubly blessed....in my honest opinion, you are blessed with the courage to continue treating every day as a learning experience... I salute you and Sue for that! Too many people these days believe in the instant gratification disposable world that those in politics would have you believe is ;correct.... I am proud to have you as a friend... as far as those procedures you are unfamiliar with, YouTube makes an excellent learning tool! Carry on my friend!!
                    Patrick & Tammy
                    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I don't know where the "bug" came from with me. My daddy, he was obsessed with oil. I don't remember him ever fixing anything, but by golly whatever it was had enough oil in it.

Comment

Spray some WD-40 in the carb then yank the rope.. Should sputter and run with bursts of WD-40...

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                          Spray some WD-40 in the carb then yank the rope.. Should sputter and run with bursts of WD-40...
                          Hmmmm...... That would prove if it has spark or not.... Hmmmmmmm

Comment

There's always a spray can of starter fluid to consider.... But don't use too much or you'll blow it up.... Ask me how I know.
                            Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Peewee drain the gas, my guess if it's sat a long time the gas/ethanol has separated.
                              Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
                              If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Working...
                              X