What's WRONG With People?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's WRONG With People?

I've been on this tangent before I'm sure. Phone calls and emails. We nearly never get legitimate phone calls here, only junk. We don't even bother to answer the phone unless we recognize the number. And even on my cell phone. The calls come from the local area code to tempt you to answer it. They now call that "spoofing." The call probably originates in India or Russia. But it looks like a local call, they can do that.

And emails. Most of them go to junk mail, but they are threatening. Like from Hotmail.com - YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE CANCELLED.....but when you hover over the sender in the inbox it's from zfzfscdcef$%[email protected]. They call that "phishing."

I just don't understand it. Who in the world would do that? I can click on an email and delete it, but calling our phone is a bit more of a personal assault, in my lowly opinion. I just don't get it. What fun is that to be doing that to strangers?
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

....I hate them as well.... but, the ability to communicate with others worldwide does have its caveats....I like being able to have friends worldwide, while my fathers friends were all within 30 miles of home.... his second youngest brother(my godfather) turns 80 next weekend..... man, I feel old...
    Patrick & Tammy
    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

P..... it's this simple. Evil exists in this world. And the people who do these things are evil.
      Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
        P..... it's this simple. Evil exists in this world. And the people who do these things are evil.
        Well, they suck, and they're getting far more prevalent in this day's world. Much more so. And they suck.

Comment

Don't forget the "Warning, this computer has a virus" scam. Edge is quite vulnerable as it will stupidly open the same page if you power down. You need to open Edge right as everything else is loading and Red X it before the page can fully load. And please no comments about Edge being awful. I like that it is awful pretty. The fact Mickeysoft won't let you have a home button because too many people pick Google amuses me.
          My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

I like to trust people and that'll probably be my downfall somehow. I couldn't sleep at night if I was calling people on the phone trying to steal money from them. And the elderly are the most likely victims because they trust folks more than anyone does. Because that's not the world they (we) grew up in. It would all make sense if the crooks were all put in jail but there are so many these days, they're just running rampant. It would just about require one cop per person to round them all up.

Comment

I don't answer any number that I do not recognize anymore. That's what we have a message machine for. If it's important they will leave a message.
              ...when you got a fast car, you think you've got everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpvfmSL6WkM

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
                Or they are so bored they need excitement by hearing anoyance or fear

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
                  I like to trust people and that'll probably be my downfall somehow. I couldn't sleep at night if I was calling people on the phone trying to steal money from them. And the elderly are the most likely victims because they trust folks more than anyone does. Because that's not the world they (we) grew up in. It would all make sense if the crooks were all put in jail but there are so many these days, they're just running rampant. It would just about require one cop per person to round them all up.
                  In the small town my grandfolks lived in, the kids thought it fun to sneak on their back porch and flip the breakers.
                  Nevermind. Climbing over a gate. 70 year old folks had to padlock their breaker box on the porch in back..
                  Was glad the kid moved out of town.. Knew who did it, but could not prove it.. Friends shook sense in him and mommy got scared and moved.

Comment

Old school justice.... now days, that kid would be the "victim".... if we would only consider where delinquency and apathy for the laws of right and wrong unchecked leads to....
                    Patrick & Tammy
                    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Yeah I could talk about how the modern attention-getters are blurring the line between victim and victimizer for whatever suits their purpose on whatever day, but...politics...

Predators are a certain portion of the population, always. It could be a guy stealing a scissors out of the stock room, a mechanic screwing a customer in a minor or major way, or an individual robbing and killing directly. Or an internet scammer. If there are 10 people behind you walking down the sidewalk, three of them qualify as potential predators, in my opinion. One of them has the potential to be dangerous. The happy thing is, that leaves seven as good productive people. Wander among who you wish to, hopefully the good people, never give the bad ones a break by forgetting they are close.
                      Last edited by Loren; May 20, 2018, 08:40 PM.

Comment

I've got too much time on my hands occaisionally I like to keep those folk busy for a while..... then stiff them, no sale. Not as easy as hanging up mid=speil but satisfying. All that effort to sell somebody something they don't need or want at too high a price by convincing them it's a "good deal".

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                          I've got too much time on my hands occaisionally I like to keep those folk busy for a while..... then stiff them, no sale. Not as easy as hanging up mid=speil but satisfying. All that effort to sell somebody something they don't need or want at too high a price by convincing them it's a "good deal".
                          I saw something on the news home page a while back, it was a device you hook up to your phone and it has an intuitive interactive computer voice that somehow interacts with the scammer on the phone, and it can keep them on the line for as long as 45 minutes sometimes.

I'm not interested in that, if you even answer the phone that marks your number as a valid number for their database and they can sell that to other scammers. And there will be MORE calls. It's a real shame they don't just all die, but that would be too easy of an outcome.

I can remember a thing called the Federal Don't Call List a long time ago. That really worked, for a few minutes. But I don't know what became of it.
                          Last edited by pdub; May 20, 2018, 09:29 PM.

Comment

I'm not kid friendly but a guy with one made me wonder. When a child, particularly a boy, first learns to talk they will talk your head off. So when the telemarketer called he would just hand them the phone and make the guy BEG to put daddy back on.

Comment

Recently, this started in work again. I tell them it's a business and don't call here again.
                              "I live for myself and I answer to nobody."

-Steve McQueen

Comment

Working...
                              X