Ford Transmission Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford Transmission Question

My buddy Larry's wife is selling off his car parts (sadly he's in a home now) and they have a C6 from a full-sized Ford-Mercury-Lincoln. Larry can't remember if it's from a BBF or a SBF car. Any ideas on a quick way to tell them apart would be welcomed. IIRC, the SBF and BBF are different in the rear of the block and the transmissions won't interchange but maybe I'm wrong on that?

Dan

You are correct Dan the big block Ford has a bigger bolt pattern. I can't remember the exact size right off hand.
    Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

Here you go Dan... hope it is what you are looking for...
      . Click image for larger version

Name:	9020C-6_specs.jpg?4868.jpg
Views:	7228
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	1202195
      Patrick & Tammy
      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
        Here you go Dan... hope it is what you are looking for...
        . Click image for larger version

Name:	9020C-6_specs.jpg?4868.jpg
Views:	7228
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	1202195
        Yet that isn't completely accurate.

When I was in high school, my best friend built a SBF for his 4 door 60s Mercury Comet. He spent the entire year at school doing bodywork and getting the car ready for paint.... pushing it in and out of the Industrial arts shop. All while building a motor under the porch of his parent's trailer home.... he didn't get the car to paint because he didn't have the money but the body was done - so he went to put the motor in his first car. Turns out the block he used had a bolt pattern that was 6 months only. His car was a 4 speed. It never did run... all that effort, all that money (that he flat didn't have) into a car that no one wanted and a motor that no one could use. Be careful, Dan, in the Ford world there be dragons - and dragons aren't nice.
        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Thanks! I'll take a look at the pics and see if I can sort it out.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

Yet that isn't completely accurate.

When I was in high school, my best friend built a SBF for his 4 door 60s Mercury Comet. He spent the entire year at school doing bodywork and getting the car ready for paint.... pushing it in and out of the Industrial arts shop. All while building a motor under the porch of his parent's trailer home.... he didn't get the car to paint because he didn't have the money but the body was done - so he went to put the motor in his first car. Turns out the block he used had a bolt pattern that was 6 months only. His car was a 4 speed. It never did run... all that effort, all that money (that he flat didn't have) into a car that no one wanted and a motor that no one could use. Be careful, Dan, in the Ford world there be dragons - and dragons aren't nice.
            5 bolt bell housing 62-64 260/289 blocks. They are not very common these days.
            Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
            1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
            1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
            1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
            1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
            1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Originally posted by BBR View Post

5 bolt bell housing 62-64 260/289 blocks. They are not very common these days.
              Were those used on the 221 also? Those would be "E" class engines in LSR so I have a vague interest.

I've requested a front pic so I can identify the trans but so far it looks like it's going to fit an FE. Also - he has a complete but disassembled 300CID inline six if anyone has the urge - $200.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Were those used on the 221 also? Those would be "E" class engines in LSR so I have a vague interest.

I've requested a front pic so I can identify the trans but so far it looks like it's going to fit an FE. Also - he has a complete but disassembled 300CID inline six if anyone has the urge - $200.

Dan
                Yes. 221 as well. Trans adapters are available nowadays.
                Last edited by BBR; May 24, 2018, 01:27 PM.
                Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

to further compound the issue, *some* ford transmissions
                  (a C4 in a 65 stang for sure ) have a removable bellhousing
                  just like a 4spd. we didnt find this out till we swapped the
                  stock 6 for a 302 and it wouldnt fit.... we ended up ordering
                  one in from a mainland junkyard and swapped the bell, after
                  that it was all good.

PART of the reason im a mostly GM kinda guy is the great
                  GM interchangeability. for instance--i think (could be wrong....)
                  that aside from a few weird ones like a 2.2 4cyl and a 2.8 V6,
                  every chevy trans from 55-87 at least will fit every motor - small
                  or big block, 6 or 8 cylinders. as long as you got the correct
                  flexplate/flywheel/converter/clutch etc its a direct bolt up.

and you can use a $99 adaptor plate to fit the B.O.P./C. trans
                  to the chevy blocks and vice-versa as well....and aside from the 400
                  small block (needs dedicated steam holes but can be drilled in any
                  other 55-87 smallblock head) all the heads fit all the blocks, all
                  the cranks (again, except for 400 unless you use adaptor bearings)
                  fit as long as its big/small journal, rods are all interchangeable,
                  pushrods, heck even a smallblock distributor will drop into a 454
                  although you may need to adjust the curve.

there are a few differences of course--short/long waterpump,
                  different pulleys/brackets, etc.. but MOST of the GM stuff is
                  interchangeable.

nothing wrong with a ford, you can make em FLY--my younger
                  brother had a 69 lincoln 460/C6 in an 88 stang 5.0 foxbody
                  that was straight up asinine-- but yes, there are a LOT of
                  differences in the ford camp. definately do your homework
                  before you drop a ton of cash on any parts !

Comment

Got the pics. It's for the 429/460 family of engines. They'd like to get $200 for it. If anyone is interested I can hook you up with contact info and they can tell you about condition, etc. Pretty sure it worked properly when removed.

Thanks all!

Dan

Comment

Zinc, while I am mainly a GM guy..
                      The removeable bell houseing "c-4" is actually a "FMX"
                      As I understood it, C4 is like C6 but smaller. Kinda like 350-400
                      I'm sure the Fordophiles will correct me if I'm wrong..

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                        Zinc, while I am mainly a GM guy..
                        The removeable bell houseing "c-4" is actually a "FMX"
                        As I understood it, C4 is like C6 but smaller. Kinda like 350-400
                        I'm sure the Fordophiles will correct me if I'm wrong..
                        It is my understanding that the removable bell housing is in fact a C-4 (aluminum case) where as the FMX is a cast iron case and predates the C-4s.

Comment

That is correct Allen my C4 has a removeable bell housing but the C6 does not.
                          Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
                            It is my understanding that the removable bell housing is in fact a C-4 (aluminum case) where as the FMX is a cast iron case and predates the C-4s.
                            Thanks.. Was not positive of the differences.
                            Glad it is clarified..
                            My 69 Cougar was a FMX.. Cast iron case. Makes sense.

Comment

Working...
                            X