No announcement yet.

John McGann to edit Hot Rod Magazine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have always liked Johnny's attitude and the way he puts a magazine together, but his reliance on pro-builder submissions isn't going to work w/ the traditional CC reader. Crossing my fingers 'cause there are great possibilities here/also hazards.

Comment

Whoa, hmm. Do us proud John!
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
        I have always liked Johnny's attitude and the way he puts a magazine together, but his reliance on pro-builder submissions isn't going to work w/ the traditional CC reader. Crossing my fingers 'cause there are great possibilities here/also hazards.
        Yep. If regular paycheck-to-paycheck, parking lot/shade tree/small garage Car Crafters can't relate to it, it's going to have a tough time flying. For better or worse, that's CC's niche . . . .

(. . . well that and being the only big magazine that's consistently covering the "Street Outlaws" . . . . (But RPM Magazine ( http://rpm-mag.com/ )may be more essential to the extreme horsepower & "no prep" worlds, despite having much smaller "circ."))

Comment

RPM was fun at first, but now it is just a stroll through the pits at a non-NHRA drag race with some street machine guys visiting in. But it IS a bargain.
          Last edited by RockJustRock; June 4, 2018, 09:26 AM.
          My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

RPM is not a high-quality magazine. But it's got much broader advertiser support than any of the remaining TEN Publishing books. That suggests that it's cost-effective and perceived by advertisers as reaching more of their essential customers. Like it or not, what the advertisers are paying to support influences what's making it into print.

I agree, RTR, that RPM has too much outlaw pro and big-budget stuff to really resonate with many of the ordinary street-strip folks who don't have phat TV gigs . . . . the hard thing in the magazine business is balancing the right amount of big-time "sizzle" with real stuff that most readers can use.
            Last edited by Gateclyve Photographic; June 4, 2018, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Like I said before, toss RPM in bed with event streaming and you will have a force to be reckoned with. A "future-proof" force. I love it here, but I still get a warm, fuzzy over a magazine vs. a blog. A few hundred words on that?

Comment

Elana's new gig. DF just said he misses her on FaceBook.

Comment

Is it possible to be more cliche then have a woman test a new CUV? I truly hope this is her paying her dues and we'll see her again.

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Did'nt Elana get poached from Hot Rod to Roadkill magazine which then folded and left her out in the cold ?

Comment

It's funny - this month's Hot Rod, Douglas Glad says that Hot Rod Magazine is so respected that trolls are afraid to troll it. Really? as far as I'm concerned, I get my information on cars from Gas Monkey.... after all, they smoked HRM and HRM's band of merry shop ringers.

Sorry Glad, trolls ignore HRM because they're nothing but fashion and attempts to be trendy. Even trolls don't care about HRM.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                        Elana's new gig. DF just said he misses her on FaceBook.

She is better than that!

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                          Is it possible to be more cliche then have a woman test a new CUV? I truly hope this is her paying her dues and we'll see her again.
                          Would it be better with a grumpy old lawyer who gets his "information on cars from Gas Monkey?" "Whoooo!" . . Just askin'

Last edited by Gateclyve Photographic; June 11, 2018, 06:36 AM. Reason: Add silly party pix of the Gas Monkey hisself doing his checkbook thing . . . Wooooooooooooooo!

Comment

Originally posted by Gateclyve Photographic View Post

Would it be better with a grumpy old lawyer who gets his "information on cars from Gas Monkey" . . . Just askin'
                            I like winning.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

I like winning.

Comment

Originally posted by Gateclyve Photographic View Post
                                That's funny, you'd think that the self-proclaimed experts would be out there running. Where is HRM's car? oh yeah, they run a fast mouth....

Comment

Working...
                                X