Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GM VP Mark Reuss needs more rear wing . . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM VP Mark Reuss needs more rear wing . . . .

Sure, you've probably already seen it, but it's a blooper worthy of repeated views . . . . After all, how often is it that you get to see a big Detroit exec hoon about to such a strikingly pedestrian result?

(one wonders if such a high-profile wreck will affect the upcoming 2019 ZR1 in any way)

Reuss posted on social media:
    "Today I let down my friends, my family, Indycar, our city and my company. Sorry does not describe it. I want to thank our engineers for providing me the safety I know is the best in the world."
    The official GM company lines is:

"We are thankful that there were no serious injuries. Both the pace car driver and the series official were taken to the infield care center, where they were checked, cleared and released. It is unfortunate that this incident happened. Many factors contributed, including weather and track conditions. The car's safety systems performed as expected."

Who left the traction control off?
    My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

Mark Reuss is the guy I talked to when I was building the Fiat to get schematics so that I could make the V6 a stand alone motor. Nice guy but good grief, if you can't keep it between the walls with all the nanny systems .... perhaps he should take up bicycling?

Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
        perhaps he should take up bicycling?
        Why? He's got the Cars & Coffee egress moves down cold (although there probably should be a tad more tire smoke before he crashed out).

As for traction/stability control, I strongly suspect that he was following the almost-ubiquitous high speed touring and track day driving school advice to turn that crap off. Most street car traction/stability control systems are way too intrusive for track use . . . .

(although something in the ZR1's price class should certainly have an effective, track-friendly setting . . . and if that was it, maybe it's time for some reprograming in light of the anticipated age and driving skill of the average ZR1 customer . . . . )

Comment

Originally posted by Gateclyve Photographic View Post

Why? He's got the Cars & Coffee egress moves down cold (although there probably should be a tad more tire smoke before he crashed out).

As for traction/stability control, I strongly suspect that he was following the almost-ubiquitous high speed touring and track day driving school advice to turn that crap off. Most street car traction/stability control systems are way too intrusive for track use . . . .

(although something in the ZR1's price class should certainly have an effective, track-friendly setting . . . and if that was it, maybe it's time for some reprograming in light of the anticipated age and driving skill of the average ZR1 customer . . . . )
          As for following advice, they never do anyone else, why start now? That said, I can imagine work will be a bit uncomfortable for him for awhile (that is, until he retires and dies because no one will ever let him live this one down)

And about Cars and Coffee

Not enough Mustang in his style. A true Cars n Coffee driver needs a crowd close, not on the other side of a race barrier.
          Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; June 4, 2018, 03:02 PM.
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I thought that the g.m . had one of the more adjustables driver assists the newer vetts . Now my 92 pretty much everytime I start it i shut off the traction control . It drives me nuts . The guys that crashed , to me seemed out of his element . He was still on the gas when he was almost 90° off from his desired course . In his defense a few racers stood up for him . I believe it was Ari Luyendyk that said this happens more often than you would think . And that even racer Johnny Rutherford even wrecked a pace car .
            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Actually in real life traction control must have a big job in laterally loaded situations. Now in video games..... Too much practice in Forza methinks.

Ask Chad, he looped the loaner Saleen into the cones a few times.
              Last edited by RockJustRock; June 4, 2018, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Maybe it's different w/ the higher-traction/lower-threshold tires now but back when, once you knew you were going to be too sideways to recover you just locked 'em all up tight, and spun to a stop going straight down the road instead of winding up darting off to whichever side the car was pointed toward when the tires got traction. Half the YouTube stuff I see where people eat it could be prevented by the simple move.

Comment

For me it's what you get used to. As a young man hooning was a bit of a mystery and misery. I wouldn't go REALLY fast until I got the feel of a car then I'd put someone in the passenger seat and instantly LOSE that feel. It would only take 15 min. to 30 to get it back, but if you THINK you are dialed in and aren't you loop.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                    ... hooning ...
                    Well there you go! I just learned I have another skill I never knew I had!

Comment

The act of being a hoon or driving recklessly, racing, doing burnouts etc.

You are aware that you are a Hoonigan.

Comment

Looks like he made at least 11 million last year , I think he'll be alright .
                        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                          It's not true that "Just Like You" is the new California state song (now if there was a Latino version in Spanish . . . .)

Comment

We ARE aware.....

somos conscientes de que todos somos pendejos
                            Last edited by RockJustRock; June 7, 2018, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X