Swap Meet Junkie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swap Meet Junkie

Ok I admit it, I'm a Swap Meet Junkie. I go to all that I can. I even plan vacation days so I can go to the out of town ones. Good thing about working at the same job for 30 years is I get 4 weeks vacation. I barely save one week for a special one with the wife at a location of her choice. And she deserves that one too cause she goes with me to help me feed my addition. She 'minds the store' at the swap meets where we sell our insulation (www.lobucrod.com) while I wander around looking for the Good Deals, which Im a sucker for.

I usually buy stuff that I can use some day. I have several aluminum intakes, aluminum and chrome valve covers, carbs, tuned port set up, headers, new piston sets, new ring sets, bearing sets, 4 speed, shifters, etc..... MORE parts then I will probably be able to use in the rest of my lifetime. It even extends to whole rolling projects from time to time. My take on it is when I get too old to work on all this stuff then I will start taking the extra back to swap meets not to make money on but just to be there enjoying the experience.

I look in the odd places for the good deals. In the boxes and buckets that most people pass up. Like the perfect Rochester 2GC I found in a bucket last year for $10. I'll hang on to it for a while in case I find enough good parts to build another 3-2bbl set up.

I'm not looking to make a bunch of money on stuff, I usually resale some stuff just so I can go buy some more. I call it recycling.

Of course the biggest kick I get out of it is the people. Just being with those of like mind/addiction swaping parts and stories.

Does anyone else have this addiction? Should we start a Swap Meet Junky Annonymous?

Re: Swap Meet Junkie

When I was doing the VW thing, I was a true swap meet junkie. I haven't been to a good swap meet in a few years, unfortunately. The Navy seems to think I need to be underway when all the good ones are going on.

Comment

We hit Pomona and Long Beach every chance we get. I got to go to Hershey once, which was really cool. Mopar-wise, I think I've only missed one Spring/Fall Fling, and I rarely walk the car show, just the swap.

Comment

I think some of the swap meets are run by BJ Auction services now,some prices are so rediculous,that they're just on display, till That Sucker comes along. But i guess it you REALLY Want that part, you'll pay.

But like Lobucrod says, sometimes its just the Experience, looking, that is enjoyable.

Comment

swap meet junky here have been to at least one carlisle event each year since 1982

still cant stand sifting through the antique furniture/junk etc

Comment

I just love saving stuff from certain death . Swap meet ,Junk yard I once saved a car from the auto shreader. I was getting rid of some twisted sheet metal and saw this car looked to good to be there, was supposed to have a bad motor,(i usually have at least one around )Loader sat it down on my trailer(no tires) brought it home was getting ready to pull the motor.Well the alt. wasn't there so I just had to try it. Put one on fired right up ! I couldn't stop laughing. It belonged to a school district and I think someone just wanted a new car. Gave it to my mom .A year latter a drunk hit it while parked and totaled it.You can't stop destiney'......low it down maybe.....Oh well she got $2300 for it .I just shook my head and laughed again .

Comment

I've never been to a swap meet. Would like to go sometime though...

Comment

I've been going to swap meets and selling stuff for years, but no more. I used to go to the same one every month. Load up the truck the day before, get up at 3 in the morning, get there before daybreak, have people look stuff over, try to get it for nothing, tell me it's just junk, they bought one 20 years ago for $5.00 so its not worth $10.00 now, had stuff stolen from me by little old men. Price of gas went up, it wasn't worth it to me anymore. Plus the internet made it much easier. I had stuff I brought to swap meets that I couldn't sell for $20 that sold online for over $300. Can't argue with that. Don't get me wrong, I had plenty of fun over the years. These days I find better cheaper stuff at the junkyards.

Comment

Working...
                X