A Story of a Journey Through Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Story of a Journey Through Time

This all started when my Mom and Sister said they wanted to go on a cruise to Alaska to watch whales, tour Misty Fjords and see icebergs calving from Glaciers. Being a well-travelled sailor, this held little interest for me ... but, being a fan of the cable television show 'Gold Rush', I decided to direct my excursion inland to the Yukon Territory instead.

Ever since I saw the movie 'Total Recall', when the sales guy tells Arnie; "everyone always goes on vacations as themselves .. why not go as somebody else?", I've wanted to try that. So, rather than go on the cruise as just another tourist, I thought it might be fun to travel in the persona of a 19th century Adventurer / Explorer mounting an expedition to the Klondike gold fields in the late 1890's.

Quick History Lesson
    The Gold Rush was a migration by an estimated 100,000 prospectors to the Klondike region of the Yukon in north-western Canada between 1897 and 1900. The Hudson's Bay Company had explored the Yukon in the first half of the 19th century, but ignored rumors of gold in favor of fur trading, which offered more immediate profits. Early American prospectors, with help from the indigenous Tlingit and Tagish tribes of the north-west, opened the important routes of Chilkoot and White Pass trails and reached the Yukon valley between 1870 and 1880.

In 1883, Ed Schieffelin identified a considerable amount of gold deposits along the Yukon River and the same year gold had been found on the banks of the Klondike River, but in small amounts and no claims were made. By the late 1880s, several hundred miners were working their way along the Yukon valley. On August 16, 1896, American prospector George Carmack found gold on Bonanza Creek, one of the Klondike's tributaries and by the end of August, all of Bonanza Creek had been claimed by miners. Just before Christmas, word of the gold reached Circle City and despite the winter, many prospectors immediately left for the Yukon by dog-sled, eager to reach the region before the best claims were taken.

The outside world was still largely unaware of the news and because the winter prevented river traffic, it was not until June 1897 that the first boats left the area, carrying the freshly mined gold and the full story of the discoveries. The 'stampede' actually began on July 15, 1897, in San Francisco when the first of the early prospectors returned from the Klondike, bringing with them large amounts of gold on the ships 'Excelsior' and 'Portland' with the press reporting a total of $1,139,000 ($1 billion in 2010) brought in by these ships, which proved to be an underestimate. To reach the gold fields, most took the route through the ports of Dyea and Skagway in Southeast Alaska. Here, the Klondikers could follow either the Chilkoot or the White Pass trails to the Yukon River and sail down to the Klondike.

And so, it begins ...

Get a copy of "Klondike Mike: An Alaskan Odyssey".
    About Michael Ambrose Mahony, 1878-1951.
    A big lumberjack who goes to Alaska at the time of the gold rush he initially uses his muscle to earn a living.
    A great book.
    Originally published in 1943 but you can get
    good used copies off the internet, try
    Amazon.com.

Comment

Within six months of the news hitting Seattle and San Francisco newspapers, approximately 100,000 gold-seeking miners, called "stampeders", were on their way to the gold fields, although only 30,000 actually completed the entire trip. In order to prevent starvation, the Canadian authorities required each person to bring a year's supply of food and supplies, which was enforced at the border by the North West Mounted Police, who where equipped with Maxim machine guns. In all, their equipment weighed close to a ton, which for most had to be carried in stages by themselves. Together with mountainous terrain and cold climate, this meant that those who persisted did not arrive until the summer of 1898 and once there, they found few opportunities, and many left disappointed.

I thought that period correct fit-out (clothing, gear and equipment) would enhance the experience, so I got appropriate garments from current companies, who were in business at the time;
      * Katahdin Iron Works (1843) Engineer Boots (Chippewa 1901)
      * L.L. Bean (1912) Rag Wool Socks and Cotton Henley Shirts
      * Levi Strauss & Co. (1853) Denim Jeans and Denim Jacket
      * Hermann Oak Leather Co. (1881) Work Belt
      * Driza-Bone (1898) Oilcloth Riding Coat
      * Pendleton Woolen Mills (1863) Wool Outback Hat
      * Jesus Blasco (1899) JB Bota Bag Leather canteen

I also accumulated real 19th Century personal and travel antiques;
      * Straight blade razor
      * Shaving brush & cup
      * Wire-frame Sunglasses
      * Leather Satchel
      * Leather Portfolio
      * Leather-bound Journal
      * Colored Pencils & Case
      * Gold pocket watch
      * Antique maps of Alaska (Skagway specifically)
      * Cartography instruments (Stainless Steel Divider)
      * U.S. Army Compass (Civil War era)
      * French Binoculars
      * Spyglass
      * Brass Magnifying Glass
      * Playing Cards
      * Bone Dice

Comment

Most stampeders knew little or nothing about where they were going, so pamphlets were available to help them on their way. The easiest and more expensive route to the gold fields was by boat upstream from the mouth of the Yukon in western Alaska. The most difficult route was the "All Canadian Route" from Edmonton and overland through the wilderness. The most common route taken by the prospectors to reach the fields was by boat from the west coast of the continental U.S. to Skagway in Alaska, over the Chilkoot or White Passes to the Yukon River at Whitehorse and then by boat 500 miles to Dawson City.

The Chilkoot Pass trail is steep and hazardous. Rising 1,000 feet in the last ½ mile, it is known as the "golden staircase": 1,500 steps carved out of snow and ice work their way to the top of the pass. Too steep for packhorses, stampeders have to "cache" their goods, moving their equipment piecemeal up the mountain. Stampeders who give up usually do it here, discarding their unneeded equipment on the side of the trail.

Conditions on the White Pass trail are even more horrendous. Steep, narrow and slick, over 3,000 pack animals have died on the trail causing it to be dubbed the "dead horse trail". Those who make it across the passes find themselves at Bennett Lake, where boats have to be built to run the final 500-mile, three week trip down the Yukon River to Dawson City and the Klondike gold fields.

I'll think about which route to take once I get into Skagway. Here's my steamship, the SS Islander leaving Vancouver, bound for Skagway, 1897 (I'm the one in the middle).

Comment

Present day harbor in Vancouver, British Columbia that I took the day before Embarking on our ship.

Comment

Our hotel at the marina, the Pan Pacific Vancouver.

Comment

I'm panning for the pictures......

Comment

no pictures... but you should have started at my house. We still have stumps from the trees they cut to build the ships that hauled the people...
                Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

The departure from Vancouver out the Dixon Entrance was smooth as we sailed 794 miles North, averaging 16-knots to our first port of call, Juneau Alaska. When we pulled into port, I was immediately drawn downtown, right to the Red Dog Saloon, with it's swinging doors and sawdust covered floors.

Originating during the heyday of Juneau’s glorious mining era, this world famous saloon has a priceless collection of furs, guns and antiques covering the walls and has provided hospitality and fellowship to weary travelers and local patrons alike. During the mining territorial heydays, when it was just a tent on the beach, the owner would meet tour boats with his mule that wore a sign saying; “follow my ass to the Red Dog Saloon”.

Never saw a 300-lbs. Flounder before ....

Comment

While we are underway for Skagway, only 102 miles further North, let's look at the two most commonly taken routes into the Klondike, to see if we can pick the right one. Here's a copy of a map I got ...

Here's a picture of some fellow prospectors ascending the Chilkoot Pass in 1898 ... Mmmmmmm ......

Comment

Our small but distinguished steamship pulls into Skagway, Alaska early in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by malc View Post
                        I'm panning for the pictures......
                        Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                        no pictures... but you should have started at my house. We still have stumps from the trees they cut to build the ships that hauled the people...
                        Should be pics now ... I was using my iPad, so did text first then added the pics.

Comment

The decision of which route to take became quite an easy one, literally, since somebody built a railway following the original White Pass trail. The White Pass & Yukon Railway Company Limited is a Canadian and U.S. Class II (3 ft.) narrow-gauge railroad linking the port of Skagway, Alaska, with Whitehorse, the capital of Yukon, 110 miles north.

Construction started in May 1898 and on July 21, 1898, an excursion train hauled passengers for 4 miles out of Skagway, the first train to operate in Alaska. They reached Bennett, British Columbia, on July 6, 1899 and the last spike was driven at Whitehorse on July 29, 1900.

At the WP&YR depot in Skagway, Alaska to get railway tickets through to Carcross, Yukon.

Comment

The WP&YR steam locomotive rounds a bend.

A nice shot I took out of our carriage car.

Comment

Pulling into the station ...

At the WP&YR depot in Carcross, which was abbreviated from the original name; "Caribou Crossing".

Comment

Working...
                              X