Speed Week spectating...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speed Week spectating...

Long story short- I'll be in Utah for the first couple weeks of August this year. I may have the 11th/12th with nothing to do in SLC. Is it worth going to the salt flats either of those days to check out speed week? I have no idea what it would be like to see it, or if all I would see is a spec in the distance. Anyone have some insight?
    Local person
    sigpic

Everyone should see the salt at least once. You'll never regret it. I stayed for 8 days in 1998, and it was the most satisfying motorsports experience of my life.

Also, just saw a report about the salt - they say it's the best salt they've seen in years. Should be awesome! (picture is brand new - Rich Fox pic)

Click image for larger version

Name:	35360621_10155865408506225_8125015488993427456_n.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	1204871
    Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
      Should be awesome!
      Man oh man (I say while salivating). Gyah......that is SO far from here......but it's nothing but time and distance.....salivating
      Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

100% agree with Studemax. Bring plenty of water and high SPF sunscreen. It gets hot and the sun is brutal reflecting off of the salt. It's also a big place, so to see everything, there's miles and miles of walking. You;ll also need to seriously wash whatever you;'re driving because salt will get in every nook and cranny,

But there's probably not a better, more laid-back grassroots experience in all of motorsports. It is not to be missed for the serious gearhead.
        Last edited by Gateclyve Photographic; June 14, 2018, 07:07 AM.

Comment

If you get there look me up in Impound - I work there (it's not like I EARNED my way in there!). I agree that Speed Week is special. Besides watching the runs (bring binoculars or a telescope or some such as they keep you far away for safety's sake) the pits are open to all and as long as you use common sense you can talk to anybody. If they're in the middle of a thrash just watch from a respectful distance but other than that you can talk to anybody. I agree with all the above comments and it's great to know that the salt is lookin' good - that's been an issue in the recent past and we lost two years completely.

As far as PPE - WHITE clothes and shoes! Leave the black T-shirts at home (or wear them after dark). I wear white painter's pants (cheap), a light-colored T-shirt and a white officials' long-sleeved shirt. I picked up this mode of dress from the old-timers who have been doing this for years and know how to live in this extreme heat for a week. Also, a hat with a big 360 degree brim in addition to the tips mentioned above.

Wendover itself is interesting - be sure to see the air base which is right on the edge of town. This is where the Enola Gay and Bock's Car trained to drop The Bombs. Every evening there's a car show right at the Utah/Nevada state line which runs right thru the middle of town. The scene is excellent!

Dan

Comment

If you want all the details on how to survive the salt - go to landracing.com.... it's where the real salt dogs hang out.
            Last edited by studemax; June 14, 2018, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
              ...know how to live in this extreme heat for a week.

Dan
              Ewww. I wouldn't be able to handle that. I watched you doing that brake job for about 3 minutes in Arkansas and I had to get back in the car with the air conditioner running. I don't see how you can handle the heat, you're even older than I am, but I for sure can't handle it. Used to could when I was a pup, but not anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post

Ewww. I wouldn't be able to handle that. I watched you doing that brake job for about 3 minutes in Arkansas and I had to get back in the car with the air conditioner running. I don't see how you can handle the heat, you're even older than I am, but I for sure can't handle it. Used to could when I was a pup, but not anymore.
                I know it's an old joke but it really IS a dry heat. The humidity is near zero - you can sweat and never be wet as it immediately evaporates. And MAN are you a wuss!!! Seriously, I don't do well in cold and heat isn't too big a deal to me. Just fix the dang brakes.

Dan

Comment

I wouldn't be able to handle that.
                  You've got to use your brains, Peewee!!!!!!!!

First of all - like Dan says, the humidity is low - like less than 10 percent. As long as there is a high overcast and a tiny breeze, you'll be fine. Each day I bought a bag of ice, and had at least 2 gallons of cold Gatorade and water to drink. Everyone wears a hat with at least a 3" brim and light colored clothing. Everyone smells like coconuts because the smart guys lube up with sunscreen before they get dressed, and they reapply every few hours. I was out there every morning bright and early and left the salt around 7 when the racing was done. One afternoon it got over 115 with no breeze, and I found some shade to hide in for a few hours - otherwise, I was in the sun and walking on the salt (which is cool to the touch because of evaporation).

To keep informed - listen to CB radios for race control chatter, and there is always a live broadcast of racing commentary to listen to (it was on AM back then, might be FM by now). Take plenty of film or memory chips for pix - I took over 450 while I was out there (I had 3 cameras - 1 for long distance, 2 for upclose shots). Salt racer Tony Baron thought I was a pro with all the cameras around my neck, and had me take pix with all the cameras provided by the assembled crew. That was fun, and I got a free Tshirt out of the deal.

The racers are fun to hang with. If it's a thrash - you might be asked to turn a wrench. I met so many legends and spent time with them like normal folk. I met Gray Baskerville, Ed Roth, Joaquin Arnett, Bill Burke, Alex Xydias, and Andy Green. In the evening, there are Salt Talks - informative chats by folks who know WTH is going on. GO. You WILL NOT regret it, even if only for the first few days.

Comment

In the body of what Dan said above, leave your black T-shirts at home. Or, wear them after dark. I totally understand that.

That only made me have a flashback from the paper mill. They'd had two medical cases in a week, guys falling out from the heat. This is a paper machine, it gets about 125 degrees in that machine room with 99.999% humidity.

So, in the early summertime two guys fell out from the heat and they decided to have giant presentations about it. I was at one of them, and an employee asked, are black shirts hotter than white shirts? The manager seemed puzzled....he said let me get back to you on that one.

I'm twisting the theme here, the black shirt is not hotter than the other one indoors or in the dark, but in the sun......oooooohhhh my.

Comment

If you are going to be anywhere near the salt flats during Speedweek you better go! The car that I crew on isn't going to make it but I am!

Comment

Looks like we will be headed out there Monday. Wonder if we can race the rental land rover? haha.
                        Local person
                        sigpic

Comment

Bring money! Running at Bonneville is NOT cheap, at least not by my standards. But the LR probably won't pass tech.

Dan

Comment

Bonneville is not "run what ya brung" racing, and not open to any old schmoe off the street. You must belong to a club in the SCTA, have a firesuit, pay the entry fee, and on and on. The SCTA invests much time, money, and sweat in prepping the salt (this takes weeks), then running an event for a week, cleaning it all up and packing up the gear. Also, the rules for drivers focus on safety. You must have a shutdown and exit procedure memorized in case of a crash or mishap. The rules are written in blood, you know. People die on the salt, and more often than we'd like.

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
                              Bonneville is not "run what ya brung" racing, and not open to any old schmoe off the street. You must belong to a club in the SCTA, have a firesuit, pay the entry fee, and on and on. The SCTA invests much time, money, and sweat in prepping the salt (this takes weeks), then running an event for a week, cleaning it all up and packing up the gear. Also, the rules for drivers focus on safety. You must have a shutdown and exit procedure memorized in case of a crash or mishap. The rules are written in blood, you know. People die on the salt, and more often than we'd like.
                              Yep!

Comment

Working...
                              X