Most annoying /Least liked Task

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Most annoying /Least liked Task

I had some issues with the heating system on my car for like a year and was continually draining the radiator. Switching out water pumps and accessories. I finally bought a Griffin Radiator, put 2 Spal fans on it and got the right pulleys which was the root of all of my problems and finally I dont have to clean up the antifreeze off of my garage floor. Dont have to wipe my motor, radiator and engine compartment down anymore.

I hate messing with antifreeze and cooling systems in general for now. I am sure that something else will rear its ugly head and anger me.

Chad

Comment

Removing undercoating!!! Does anyone know how many acres the bottom of a
      '65 Impala covers? Did I mention it's in my basement and only 20" off the floor?
      I mean the metal underneath is like new but I think it might have been faster
      just to cut it out and weld in new.

Comment

Anything involving gear lube. OMG the smell :P

Comment

I was washing parts today, and the smell and feel of Naptha ain't no picnic, either. It was the stuff I found to refill the tank after I moved it here. Anyone have a better suggestion? I can't afford Safety Kleen, which is a way cool way to do it. Besides, they would have to come about once a year and I don't think they offer that program. I'm the only one using it, and I'm just a backyard tinkerer, so I don't wash that much stuff in a month.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
            I was washing parts today, and the smell and feel of Naptha ain't no picnic, either. It was the stuff I found to refill the tank after I moved it here. Anyone have a better suggestion? I can't afford Safety Kleen, which is a way cool way to do it. Besides, they would have to come about once a year and I don't think they offer that program. I'm the only one using it, and I'm just a backyard tinkerer, so I don't wash that much stuff in a month.

Dan
            Mineral spirits.

It also works great as charcoal lighter. I think that's all that charcoal lighter fluid is, actually.

Comment

Tonight I was working on a really nice 71 El Camino. Really nice, as in everything has awesome paint or is chromed... it used to be a show car with a blower, but now it's getting ready to go to Daytona for the easter show to be for sale.
              The simple task of installing a mechanical fuel pump on a sbc just about kicked my butt.
              I couldn't lean on it anywhere, so I had to bend and hover the whole time.
              I put a light coat of silicone on both sides of the gasket that goes between the mounting plate and the block, then put the small stainless steel allen wrench bolts in the bottom holes finger tight. Then I started the large bolts through the pump and mounting plate. Once the pump was on, I couldn't get to the allen wrench bolts to tighten them, so I had to pull it off.
              Then I tightened the allen wrench bolts and reinstalled the fuel pump... but the holes didn't line up (the plate shifted when I tightened the small allen bolts), so I had to pull the pump back out, loosen the allen wrench bolts, put a bolt in one of the upper holes to keep the mounting plate from shifting, then tighten the allen wrench bolts again. THEN I was able to install the fuel pump.
              All the while, being extremely carefull not to lean on the car or put my hands on the painted or chromed parts (which is all of them).

If it weren't for those dang allen headed bolts, it wold have been much easier... but that's what was already there, holding the block-off plate...

Comment

Working...
              X