Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When Did Detroit Start Getting Car Audio Right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Did Detroit Start Getting Car Audio Right?

OR did the after market just go wrong? Nobody talks about upgrading a stereo anymore.. It's like all the big subs and stuff became self parody overkill....
    My hobby is needing a hobby.

You mean they weren't parody overkill in the first place???
    Patrick & Tammy
    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I haven't listened to music in the car for maybe 30 years. And once I got an engine that will "run," I want to hear it run. That's the music. Car stereo wore off, it just did. Even in Bubba and Bluebelle, boring as hell and quiet inside the crew cabin, I get distracted, no, turn that off.
      Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

The way my car sounds IS music!!
        Terri B. Long Hauler, Cars and Cones participant, Land Speed Racer
        Want to know why I like wine? Have you ever thought about what fish do in water?!

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
          You mean they weren't parody overkill in the first place???
          I'm talking ordering "radio delete" or pulling the factory stuff and buying aftermarket. I still did that on my 80s and 90s cars. Like the truck boxes I had in my '89 S-10.

Comment

Originally posted by pdub View Post
            I haven't listened to music in the car for maybe 30 years. And once I got an engine that will "run," I want to hear it run. That's the music. Car stereo wore off, it just did. Even in Bubba and Bluebelle, boring as hell and quiet inside the crew cabin, I get distracted, no, turn that off.
            I have one word for you...GAUGES.
            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Originally posted by 68scott385 View Post

I have one word for you...GAUGES.
              I've got another word as well - Redline.
              Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

The radio in my inherited '04 Yukon is decent for a factory offering.....EXCEPT that it also incorporates the back-up camera and navigation system, which wouldn't be a bad thing EXCEPT the display went south three years ago and the close local dealer has idiots in the service department. Just ask SBG about factory service departments......

Otherwise, I'm at a point in my life that what's played on the local radio stations is redundant and my vehicles haven't quite kept up with the ever-changing music media formats. For those reasons, the engine is usually the tune I listen to most regardless of its ability to project the vehicle.
                http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

I think the factory realised from day one a radio should be easy to operate . A lot of the aftermarket stuff went to each button having several functions depending on which er re some other button was in it 5 different positions .
                  Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

you mean "when did Detroit realize that rather then make good audio, they could make the most complex, integrated POS that guarantees it won't play with the aftermarket?" you don't change the radio because doing so you lose lots of functionality that is pretty useful... add to this the aftermarket refuses to embrace it, so their bandaids aren't bandaids..... and don't get me started about that stupid warning.

Detroit continues to hate the hot rodder
                    Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; June 19, 2018, 07:36 AM.
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                      you mean "when did Detroit realize that rather then make good audio, they could make the most complex, integrated POS that guarantees it won't play with the aftermarket?" you don't change the radio because doing so you lose lots of functionality that is pretty useful... add to this the aftermarket refuses to embrace it, so their bandaids aren't bandaids..... and don't get me started about that stupid warning.

Detroit continues to hate the hot rodder
                      THAT thought HAS occurred to me..... It ties in with them building the Hot Rods THEMSELVES and charging the BIG BUCKS to boot. Of course overcharging for Car Audio has long been the tradition. Are the ZL-1, GT-500, HellCat and Demon just big Car Stereo systems on wheels designed to go fast instead of play music? THEY get the fun of picking out what goes in?

Comment

I like good music with quality sound....it used to be a Pioneer Super Tuner with better quality speakers in factory locations....never got into the whole thing of subs and amps.... figured that it my rear view mirror shook from the sound, that was a bit much....my only disappointment is that there isn't a single R&B station in the area....
                        Last edited by silver_bullet; June 19, 2018, 09:31 AM.
                        Patrick & Tammy
                        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

most of the 'upgrade' stereos don't sound terrible with an amp upgrade and a subwoofer.... but Harmon Kardon it is not.

with that said, since most people listen to MP3 music, which already cuts some of the sound out, what difference does it make? I think that's the manufacturer's reasoning (if you'd get them to admit it).
                          Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; June 19, 2018, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                            most of the 'upgrade' stereos don't sound terrible with an amp upgrade and a subwoofer.... but Harmon Kardon it is not.

with that said, since most people listen to MP3 music, which already cuts some of the sound out, what difference does it make? I think that's the manufacturer's reasoning (if you'd get them to admit it).
                            Ohhhhh.... SBG is one of the 'PHILE guys that knows of dynamic range and auditory masking. Like me do you also reel at idiots that have NO IDEA of what video picture quality is, watch cable TV at 480p with the WRONG aspect ratio selected yet still LUST for the new 4K TV? Just asking....

Comment

my wife is the audiophile in my house, I'm just the abused husband who has to listen to her go on and on and on and on and on and on and on about it. Just listen to the music, honey, and shut up.... thank you.

in other news, when you tell a woman to calm down or shut up; they never do.... weird, no?

Comment

Working...
                              X